• ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I've got a couple boxes of this S&B ammo that I got back when I bought my Bushmaster AR about 15 years ago.

i-GV74CrH.jpg

I shot a box or two back then, and never had any trouble with it. Haven't used any since then. Shot only brass 223 since.

Fast forward, I thought about using it for cheap plinking in my Remington 7615P. But since I can't easily clean the chamber on it, I don't want to use it if it's lacquer coated.

Is there an easy way to tell? I searched on S&B's web site, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    It "looks" as if it is. Take some lacquer thinner or acetone on a rag and see if you can rub the shine off, just on one side of the case. If it comes off and exposes a flat bead blast finish on the case then it was coated. If it is functioning OK in your firearm I wouldn't worry too much. Problems arise when firing coated ammo rapidly heating up the chamber walls and then stopping for a time with a round sitting in the chamber.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    It "looks" as if it is. Take some lacquer thinner or acetone on a rag and see if you can rub the shine off, just on one side of the case. If it comes off and exposes a flat bead blast finish on the case then it was coated. .

I wiped the top half of this shell and couldn't see any difference. I then soaked the top half for a few minutes before wiping. Still looks the same.

i-BmRcqJb.jpg

:dunno:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well then, we don't know. My advice is if you get the chamber heated up just clear any rounds out so they don't sit in the chamber and stick. It sure looks like a steel case to me and those are usually coated with something.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Seems like most of the com-bloc made steel cased ammo is coated although some of them are starting to steer away form it and coating with something else not so troublesom. You have to remember that alot of this surplus was intended for belt fed mg's or full auto guns with chambers not made as tight as your run of the mill bolt gun or AR ;)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Couldn't tell you when, but they've gone from the lacquer to a polymer coating that doesn't cause the problem. The problem only presents when you go back to brass, and it's nothing to do with the lacquer itself; it's carbon fouling of the chamber due to the steel not expanding into the chamber and keeping it out. What's so hard about cleaning the chamber? I have an AR upper of questionable provenance that I suspect was done this way, and I figure to clean the chamber real well and see if it comes back to life. As it is, the extractor will take a chunk out of the rim, while the shell has to be driven out with a rod and hammer.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    What's so hard about cleaning the chamber?

DGG_7895pw.jpg

Can't clean from breech without a lot of work(complete disassembly;). No way to use a chamber brush.

I had planned to go to an INGO get together today at Winimac. It's a popular rifle at the range, and many want to shoot it. So I was thinking about using the old 20 cent rounds, instead of my 30-40 cent good stuff. :D

However, my lower back reared its ugly head yesterday, and it wasn't any better this morning. :xmad: So I had to stay home. :xmad: :xmad:

So, it's a moot point now. I'll just put that ammo back in the stash box.

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it.

:ingo:

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Man, 20 point 7 cents a round....I got into guns late enough into the game that I wasn't around when you could get deals like that.

Doc,
    At about the same time as the OP got the S&B ammo, one could get a 2700 round tub of 5.56 for 11 cents per round delivered ! :wow: :bowdown:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Top Bottom