How to you determine the selling value of an AR you assembled yourself?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Like most have said, hang on to it. Prices are down right now, in a good way tho, unless you're a seller. I've got just as much $ wrapped up in optics on my latest as the build cost me.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned. Assembled ARs are harder to sell, and I for one won't buy them. Too many guys assembling AR-15s who don't know how to do it. So if I'm looking at buying an assembled AR the first thing I'm going to do is disassemble it and put it back together the correct way.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just built one for under $200 (using the receiver I picked up at the 1500 for $25). How much do you think I will lose if/when I sell it?

I have built a couple from mainly spare parts left from other upgrades. I call them freeby junk yard dogs. My son has one of them and it is as dependable as any I have ever owned. Accurate. He loves it. The sand colored lower with black upper and hand guard/stock give it some character. It evens sports a spare Vortec strike fire.
    Actual money out of pocket was for a pin/spring kit as I was missing 1 detente spring so now I have more spares.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Same here. If I click on an AR in the classifieds and see that it was assembled by an individual, I move on.
    I only click on the ones that say “custom”! But, I have bought parts guns before just for some of the parts they were built with. I now have a pile of PSA and Anderson lowers, for a really rainy day.;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Meh, parts is parts. If you used good parts they'll sell. Just not gonna pay you new prices.

I'd assume any frankengun I'd buy would need a going through.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Old thread. Now that it is almost a year later, I'd say the market is not any better and maybe worse. My boss today asked me if I was interested in buying back an AR I built and sold to him a couple years ago now. I had about $600 in it and sold it to him for what I had in it. He added an inexpensive scope. It has sat in his house since then. Now his wife wants it out of the house.

I told him it was a bad time to sell it and that if he was lucky he might get $400 or so for it. What do you guys think? His wife doesn't want to learn how to operate it and would rather have a pistol or two, lol. They were thinking they would get so much money for the AR that they could buy 2 pistols.

I think he was a little deflated when I told him that I wouldn't buy it back and that he will take a beating on it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Old thread. Now that it is almost a year later, I'd say the market is not any better and maybe worse. My boss today asked me if I was interested in buying back an AR I built and sold to him a couple years ago now. I had about $600 in it and sold it to him for what I had in it. He added an inexpensive scope. It has sat in his house since then. Now his wife wants it out of the house.

I told him it was a bad time to sell it and that if he was lucky he might get $400 or so for it. What do you guys think? His wife doesn't want to learn how to operate it and would rather have a pistol or two, lol. They were thinking they would get so much money for the AR that they could buy 2 pistols.

I think he was a little deflated when I told him that I wouldn't buy it back and that he will take a beating on it.

Tell him to go to a couple of LGS and find out what they will give him, but not sell it to them (unless he gets someone who has hit their head recently).

Once he sees how little the LGS will give him, make him an offer for a few bucks more -- that is, if you want the AR back. Otherwise, it is what it is. He should understand that if he bought it a couple of years ago, the political climate before the last election has changed drastically, and the prices are down, and he should stock up on mags for it now or wait for the next political crisis when the prices go back up and sell it then.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Tell him to go to a couple of LGS and find out what they will give him, but not sell it to them (unless he gets someone who has hit their head recently).

Once he sees how little the LGS will give him, make him an offer for a few bucks more -- that is, if you want the AR back. Otherwise, it is what it is. He should understand that if he bought it a couple of years ago, the political climate before the last election has changed drastically, and the prices are down, and he should stock up on mags for it now or wait for the next political crisis when the prices go back up and sell it then.

Good advice. Thanks. I don't want it back as I have one more than I really want. But I won't sell my extra at this point in time. I am selling a couple guns right now(1 sold) to afford a shotgun I want. He said he was going to talk to his wife. His thought is to keep it until the market rebounds but he thinks his wife will say sell it at a loss.

I'll probably list it for him, lol.:)

As far as mags, I bought a bunch at one point. If they ever make them illegal to transfer, I'll be stuck. But that's the chances you take when you speculate!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Good advice. Thanks. I don't want it back as I have one more than I really want. But I won't sell my extra at this point in time. I am selling a couple guns right now(1 sold) to afford a shotgun I want. He said he was going to talk to his wife. His thought is to keep it until the market rebounds but he thinks his wife will say sell it at a loss.

I'll probably list it for him, lol.:)

As far as mags, I bought a bunch at one point. If they ever make them illegal to transfer, I'll be stuck. But that's the chances you take when you speculate!

Understood on not wanting it, though the trip to an LGS or 2 to see what they will give him should give him a reality check that is coming from someone besides you. That way there isn't any bad blood with him thinking you are lowballing him now.

Regarding mags, up until the whole bump stock ban occurred, I'd have said there would not be an issue with existing mags being transferred post any legislation that would go into effect, but now that the Constitution seems to be going by the wayside, even beyond just the 2nd amendment, I'm not sure I can say that now.

On another note, he should tell the other half, it is not costing him anything to keep it. Elizabeth Warren gives a few speeches and prices could sky rocket again...

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    See if he can trade it for a pistol, mags, and ammo. An M&P Shield and extras could be an even trade. Or 2 Shields for some cash + AR.

Top Bottom