How well does steel-cased .308 run in bolt actions (Indian Enfield)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    I've got an Ishapore 2A1 (converted to carbine length by Gibbs) that I bought from melensdad and I was looking to procure a large quantity of steel .308 (either Wolf or Brown Bear, probably from Lucky Gunner). Seeing as it's not exactly a high-rate-of-fire rifle, I don't think the dirtiness of steel will be as much of an issue as with using steel in my AR.

Anyway, this may just be an unnecessary concern, but I don't want to buy ammo for my weapon that would be unwise of me to use. Thoughts?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wolf .308 150gr FMJ is all that I feed to my Ruger M77 Mk II Compact. No problems with function and it's plenty accurate enough for that rifle at the ranges where I do (and might) use it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Not SAAMI

According to this month's American Rifleman, pg36-37, steel case ammo is not SAAMI certified and as such not recommended for use by most American Manufacturers.

So I guess it's up to you:dunno:. Id recommend getting some to try before heavily investing in it. My Mauser doesn't like it :noway: but my PTR91 doesn't care. :ar15:As always YMMV.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If the Ishapore 2As kept the loose chamber tolerances of the original SMLEs then you won't have a problem. I've never tried it, but I'd imagine there should be enough leverage with a bolt action to provide for proper extraction.

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    Thanks for the help, folks. I'm probably going to just do 100 or so rounds from AIM Surplus ($45 for .308 nowadays is still a steal) and if it doesn't work, I'll be sure to pawn the remaining rounds off to someone else

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I tried some Tula in my Savage model 11. Every case got stuck in the chamber. I shot 5 rounds. The first four I was able to knock out with a clearing rod at the range. The fifth round was really stuck. I bummed a piece of 9/32 drill rod from work and had to hammer it out of the chamber. The group I shot was very good FWIW. I got a box and a half left. Won't be going in my Savage.
    I have had great luck with the Tula .223 in my AR.

Matt

whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    I know my guns different, but my Savage model 11vt does not like the herters steel cased ammo. I had the same problems as Notalentbum, but every gun is different.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Those videos are not exactly on target. some info is right some not so right. In a nutshell; if your rifle is chambered for the .308 Win, it can handle the much lower pressure 7.62 NATO. The brass between military and commercial is externally the same.

If you have a military chambered rifle, hold out for the M80 overruns sold at many venders. If you wish to keep cost down, reload military brass. In a bolt gun it should last half past forever.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I had one of these Ishtapore .308s, the chamber was so sloppy my old reloads suffered head seperations. Had to drop a bunch of cash in it and convert it to 6.5 Swede...OK I didn't have to.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm setting up, but between the Ishi 7, the PTR91s, and the berdan NATO 7.62, I don't figure to reload much of that. I have some proper .308 and an M1A and a Mossberg 100 to generate reloadable brass and take the reloads. That Enfield bolt, though, man...

Firingpinhead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Farmland
    A long time ago I had a Spanish Mauser re-barreled to .308...I bought some surplus 7.62 and had a bunch of problems getting the case out of the bore. I thought the rifle was messed up until I tried some .308,it worked just fine.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Just remember that the receiver on the SALE will stretch every time you shoot it. (Has to do with the rear mounted bolt lug. ) Reloading might not be the best proposition. Cheap military rounds are probably your best bet. Otherwise you'll be trimming brass a lot and it will have a short loading life.

Top Bottom