How would you evaluate a situation where you prepare to draw your weapon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Recently I had an odd situation. I wanted to have Sunday brunch and walk a bit. Around 1 p.m., I leave brunch and head to my vehicle. Normally, this time of day on Sunday is real quiet downtown. Ahead of me was a man behaving strangely. He had his shorts half way down his butt, shirt off carrying in his hand (it wasn't hot out). He was also talking to himself very loudly shuffling around. There was no evidence of a bluetooth/headset/phone that he would have been talking into. He seemed "not quite right" and I was going to definitely be walking by him. I casually reached my hand to my to my pistol side and put the thumb under the shirt near the gun side. This way if the guy came at me, I'd be able to draw a bit easier. I just walked by and moved to give as much space as possible. He wasn't walking a straight path. He would stop, go a few steps back, then move forward again.

This whole thing made me think about an agressor and defense. Is going into a "pre-draw" position an act of agression in itself? Is it just being careful? I kept my movements very calm and steady and did my best to stay as far away without walking in the street.

Last edited:

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I guess if I was that nervous about someone on the sidewalk I would have turned around.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Each situation will be unique. FoF training is a great way to evaluate your responses in a learning environment.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Simply I would have just crossed the street, ducked in to a store and wait for him to go by or just turned around and go back to where I came from. Why have a confrontation that can be easily avoided?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With or with out a side arm no worries. I have dealt with these "Talkers" a lot working around the downtown area. They are a bubble or 2 off of plumb but "Most" are wise enough not to pick a confrontation with someone their own size. If you have any training and are SA just cruise on by given as much room as possible. If they get silly respond as needed. Spending a life in a run/hide/avoid mode is such a waste.

If you live in a medium to large city getting some training is almost a must these days sad to say. Laff. is one of those citys.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Nothing wrong with being prepared...but as others have said give the loon space, same as if you saw them driving on the Hwy. no need to spend an inordinate amount of time in the danger zone but can't put life on pause just cause this guy might be doing bath salts and try to eat your face.

So, do what makes you feel comfortable. Sounds like you did.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I guess if I was that nervous about someone on the sidewalk I would have turned around.

Yep, I'm not putting myself in that situation if I see it coming, and for sure not if I am by myself (armed or not). Its just not worth the actual potential altercation or the aftermath, even if I come out without injury. But that's just me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hear you. I'd much rather go hand's on then reach for my OC/CS, Taser, or my baton.

If I have to defend myself for any reason there is far less issue/paper work with physically detaining/restraining a nut bag as to putting a hole in him or using my knife to expose is innards or even using said knife as one would use a roll of quarters to make a fist. Just saying.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Recently I had an odd situation. I wanted to have Sunday brunch and walk a bit. Around 1 p.m., I leave brunch and head to my vehicle. Normally, this time of day on Sunday is real quiet downtown. Ahead of me was a man behaving strangely. He had his shorts half way down his butt, shirt off carrying in his hand (it wasn't hot out). He was also talking to himself very loudly shuffling around. There was no evidence of a bluetooth/headset/phone that he would have been talking into. He seemed "not quite right" and I was going to definitely be walking by him. I casually reached my hand to my to my pistol side and put the thumb under the shirt near the gun side. This way if the guy came at me, I'd be able to draw a bit easier. I just walked by and moved to give as much space as possible. He wasn't walking a straight path. He would stop, go a few steps back, then move forward again.

This whole thing made me think about an agressor and defense. Is going into a "pre-draw" position an act of agression in itself? Is it just being careful? I kept my movements very calm and steady and did my best to stay as far away without walking in the street.
    What if what you had to do with him was NOT a deadly force situation? Could you react? I appreciate the fact that you want to be prepared. Here is food for thought. If you were walking into a situation where you were aware that you might need to draw and fire your handgun, why would you still continue that path? I think that maybe the gun is your first choice in self defense. You see a mental guy walking down the street (sadly a common sight here in Indy) and your only instinct is that you will need to draw your handgun? This gets posted a lot here and it seems appropriate here, "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." If the only thing keeping you from curling up into a ball and yelling for your mum is the handgun on your side, then you will be MUCH more likely to draw and fire it even at times that are questionable or worse, illegal. I'm not saying you are of course for I do not know you, but rather this is a generalization.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If I have to defend myself for any reason there is far less issue/paper work with physically detaining/restraining a nut bag as to putting a hole in him or using my knife to expose is innards or even using said knife as one would use a roll of quarters to make a fist. Just saying.
    We all have "off" switches that if you know where to land a blow will turn off most attackers instantly. At least enough to get away safely.

Top Bottom