• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Hi Guys, this will be my second firearms deer season. Had a shot at a good 6-pointer last year... long story I'd rather not revisit.

Anyway, was out getting some squirrels a few weeks back & saw a big-bodied buck at first light about 250 yds down a soy bean field (I'm the orange X; buck is the red dot); the very next morning pre-dawn I saw three does in the same field (pink dots).

Haven't been back to these squirrel woods till this morning. A well worn deer trail leads into the wooded area behind the corn/soy fields. The trail works it's way back to a marshy open area to the west.

To the right of the trail there is a pretty decent up-slope (double yellow line). Went up there today & found an area (yellow dot) with several scrapes and low rubs. Some good rub damage to a few trees. Also saw a good bit of fresh scat.

The up-slope area is pretty dense with thickets & overhang; had to crawl through some spots going uphill to get there.

Being a beginner, I'd really appreciate some skilled advice as how to best hunt this area on opening day. My thought is to set up behind some natural cover on the downside of the up-slope where it meets the trail.

My assumption is that trying to get set up on the top of the up slope, closer to where I've seen the scrapes & rubbing would be present too much of a risk of being made by the buck(s) traversing that area.

Being a low visibility area I'd opt for iron sights on a rifled 12g or a .50 front stuffer.

Thanks for any and all advice.
    buckstops.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Depending on the wind direction and assuming a morning hunt i would look at the clump of trees to the right of the yellow trail mark. Looks like a natural funnel area aith lots of open area and heavy cover with the fields in the area being food sources.

If there is some standing or cut corn that would get more attention during the mid november hunting.

I would not hunt the yellow dot until you had to late in the season. Looks like a bedding area. let them feel safe in the bedding area, PS the spot looks good for afternoon hunts also.

Top Bottom