• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here's what I'm looking to do. I'm thinking about putting a decent chunk of cash in 4 different cd's. A 3 month, 6 month, 9 month and a 1 year. That way I'd have access to cash without having to wait a whole year or more for the cd's to mature. I don't really want ready access to this to make it too easy to spend. I've also thought about a money market account as well. I know the interest rates totally suck ass right now but I don't want to put this in a high risk type account at all either. I'm not buying gold or silver either. What are your suggestions?

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    With rates being what they are, its almost not worht it to buy a CD. I'd keep it in an insured money market until rates get better. Vanguard Prime money market is a decent place to park it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Here's what I'm looking to do. I'm thinking about putting a decent chunk of cash in 4 different cd's. A 3 month, 6 month, 9 month and a 1 year. That way I'd have access to cash without having to wait a whole year or more for the cd's to mature. I don't really want ready access to this to make it too easy to spend. I've also thought about a money market account as well. I know the interest rates totally suck ass right now but I don't want to put this in a high risk type account at all either. I'm not buying gold or silver either. What are your suggestions?

CD are like 1.75%, I would invest in GUNS & BULLETS, cause when ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE guns & bullets will be worth their weight in G O L D:rockwoot:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    CD are like 1.75%, I would invest in GUNS & BULLETS, cause when ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE guns & bullets will be worth their weight in G O L D:rockwoot:

Already got that covered. I don't think cd's are even near 1.75% now. I had a 16 month one a few years ago that was 4.25%. I made a nice chunk on that one. The reason I was thinking about the 4 cd's with different terms is that I can renew each one for a year when they mature and I'd always have cash accessible within 3 months as I need it. As each one matures, I could further break them down to where one matures every month.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Got's 27 acres of that as well.

I'm still thinking I want access if I need cash for an emergency like needing to buy another car, etc. I'm wanting something that I can liquidate rather easily and not risk losing money on it when I do liquidate it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Real estate. It's a buyers market now, so go look at the foreclosures and get a cheap house. Fix it up, rent it, bam you've got income every month for as long as you own the house.

i agree with this. you can buy at auction so cheap you are guaranteed to more than double your money if you buy smart. im talking about buying with cash here, not mortgages. I dont trust anything to do with banks or the govt. i dont trust cash either.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    Easiest rule of thumb when investing money is how old you are. The younger you are, the more risk you can have. Old people need more of a solid income verse the young being allowed to have capital gains. The greater the reward, the greater the risk. Muital funds are the way to go. Investing in a single company is too risky. Midcap business usually are the best at gains without too much risk. There is a bull market. You just have to know where to look. I had a 23% gain on my investments last year. Your best option if you have enough money to actually invest, is talk to an investor. You don't have time to sit there and watch the market all day. Good luck to you in your investments. And yes I did say I have 23% gains. Oh, and I'm 21.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Easiest rule of thumb when investing money is how old you are. The younger you are, the more risk you can have. Old people need more of a solid income verse the young being allowed to have capital gains. The greater the reward, the greater the risk. Muital funds are the way to go. Investing in a single company is too risky. Midcap business usually are the best at gains without too much risk. There is a bull market. You just have to know where to look. I had a 23% gain on my investments last year. Your best option if you have enough money to actually invest, is talk to an investor. You don't have time to sit there and watch the market all day. Good luck to you in your investments. And yes I did say I have 23% gains. Oh, and I'm 21.

well you showed a gain. maybe next year you will have a 23% loss and it will wash. dont count your chickens before they are yours ;)

Top Bottom