• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    before i became a mechanic i ran a wrecker for AAA. i was a a red light and noticed the guy behind me got out of his car, and went to the car behind him. he then started yelling at the woman in the car. ripped off the rear view mirror, and beat the window with it. i got on the radio and told dispatch to call pd. while he was busy with the lady. i backed to his car and got out and hooked it to the wrecker and lifted enough he couldn't move. when pd got there and he done enough to be arrested.

Ha, that's pretty awesome and funny.

otownrifleman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Oolitic, In
    I would have kept an eye on the situation. Called the police if necessary. Intervened if ABSOLUTELY necessary.. and by that I mean someone getting beat down.

I have to second this. I would call the police first and foremost, but if someones getting hurt or possibly killed I would have to step in, and hope if the same was happening to me somebody would step in and help me out.

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Very tough call if you ask me. One side i feel like i would help if the situation had gotton out of control. However there is that side of me that knows once i step in i have to see it thru. So if i step in and he pulls a knife now i have to shoot him. Its a lot to process you did the right thing, same thing i would do. Remember any man who kills when he can do otherwise is a fool, and any man who does not kill when he must is a dead fool.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Honestly,

I carry for my protection, the protection of my family, the protection of my friends, and the protection of anybody in my presence that does not have the ability or power to protect themselves.

That being said, one shouldn't take actions that they wouldn't otherwise take if they were unarmed. If you wouldn't get out to assist/intervene while unarmed you shouldn't do so simply due to being armed.

If somebody was being physically harmed and needed assistance, I would do what I could to help regardless of whether or not I were armed. To many people these days stand back and watch bad things happen to people.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Basically, similar situation happened to me this past summer.

Some dude and his lady friend are aggressively arguing on their front porch across the street. I sat in the window (as a good witness) with the local PD ready to be called. Things eventually subsided. The dude left and we didn't hear much from him afterwards.

My wife and I both talked about it at length. Our perspective was if we 'notice' the situation after it's escalated to punches being thrown, we still would not intervene unless it's imminent death/bodily harm. Even at that point, it's a scary line to cross. The problem is, as the OP stated, we (the third party) aren't privy to all the facts. When we see punches being thrown, is the guy defending himself from the girl or vice versa ? At that point, it's a tough call. The right call, would be to PD and still keep watch. If someone brandishes a weapon, that might be a good time to get involved and help neutralize things. NOPE!!!

If you don't have all the facts and details, being a good witness and the guy to make the phone call is an excellent first step.

This is my opinion as well.
    Even though we're packing, we are not police. We aren't trained in this stuff (most of us) and we're not given the authority by our little pink card to start throwing our weight around. As someone else mentioned, use the cell phone.

All bets are off if someone's life is in danger.

Also, just because someone it getting their butt whooped is not a reason to pull your piece. Like you said, you have no idea what the back story may be. Again, call the law.

Carrying a weapon does NOT give us authority to:

*act like police
    *act like a referee
    *act like a savior
    *act like a rescuer

In 99.9% of the situations: sit down, shut up, turn around, and quietly call 911. THEN.... maybe, that would be a good time to walk away.

2 lbs. of iron in our pocket does not make us God. :twocents:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I would've rolled down the window, put my handgun in my left hand using my thumb on the trigger, used my side view mirror to line up the sights, and dropp the bad guy with a single shot.

Seriously, I would've drawn and put the gun under my leg, made sure the windows were rolled up and just watched the situation.

karatejoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Greenwood
    its all fun and games until you get a law suit against you. Having been on the other side of the badge I had 2 law suits brought against me. Torts. I was found to be in the right on both cases and I was. I had the city with deep pockets backing me up. What do you as a civillian have for financial legal protection? Im just saying make sure it was worth it and your in the right.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I'm not a cop so I wouldn't do cop things. If lives were threatened I would try to help, that doesn't mean a few punches either. Be a witness and call a cop.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Carrying a weapon does NOT give us authority to:

*act like police
    *act like a referee
    *act like a savior
    *act like a rescuer

In 99.9% of the situations: sit down, shut up, turn around, and quietly call 911. THEN.... maybe, that would be a good time to walk away.

2 lbs. of iron in our pocket does not make us God. :twocents:

If you are shopping at a store, and someone pulls a gun from their pocket, has it at low ready.. you see it but they haven't aimed it yet at the cashier.. .. now it's pointed at the cashier.. You wouldn't intervene ?

The post of mine that you quoted, states if someone (in that scenario) brandishes a weapon and there's clearly the possibility of someone being severely injured (or killed) you would just call the cops and drive away ???

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Mind your own business. I have seen a few guys stick there nose where it didn't belong and end up getting whipped by the two arguing party's. If you don't like what's going on call the cops and stay out of it.

^this. Some of the most dangerous situations an officer can get into stem from a situation between two people. I've know several LEO's and most will tell you, a man might be beating on his wife, but when the cop breaks it up he is generally looked at as an intruder, they are trained to handle the situation and usually have help close by, it could be way to Easy to get in over ones head in that sort of situation.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    If you are shopping at a store, and someone pulls a gun from their pocket, has it at low ready.. you see it but they haven't aimed it yet at the cashier.. .. now it's pointed at the cashier.. You wouldn't intervene ?

The post of mine that you quoted, states if someone (in that scenario) brandishes a weapon and there's clearly the possibility of someone being severely injured (or killed) you would just call the cops and drive away ???

YES. That is the cold honest truth. I am not a cop. I am not qualified to deal in these situations. I carry iron to protect myself. And I practice diligently to do so. That, in itself, is a complicated enough process...we know that from an abundance of other threads on this forum. And that is where my limitations draw the line.

If you feel superior...go for it. It's up to you. All I can tell you is what 2 lbs. of steel in my pocket means to me.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I think I would have to agree with skywired on that one. Maybe yelling gun would help scatter people? Maybe you pull and drop the guy but you find out you were in the wrong? You take an awful load of responsibility when you aim center mass on some guy, not only his life, but maybe yours, ya never know. I wouldn't hesitate to help somebody, but I'm not sure going into a relatively unknown situation with a gun would be a good idea.

Cassada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    I believe it Would be hard to stand there and watch someones car get damaged and a person get threatened. I would call the police as i exited my vehicle. In these situations usually as one person stands up many follow. My firearm would of remained concealed until there was a threat to life. Being a sheep dog means more than just shooting a perp at a gas station or a mugger? In this case you are not sticking your nose in someone's buisness if it is happening at an intersection right in front of you

ZOMBIE2012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    nope,good way to get shot.i seen a guy honk at a man at a stop light,he got out and put a gun in the mans face and said honk again

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    And shoot the undercover cop who was making a felony arrest?

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    YES. That is the cold honest truth. I am not a cop. I am not qualified to deal in these situations. I carry iron to protect myself. And I practice diligently to do so. That, in itself, is a complicated enough process...we know that from an abundance of other threads on this forum. And that is where my limitations draw the line.

If you feel superior...go for it. It's up to you. All I can tell you is what 2 lbs. of steel in my pocket means to me.

This,.....i carry to save my life, not yours or anyone else's, cops dont have a duty to protect and neither do i, your safety is your responsibility, these individuals in the car should have been prepared to save themselves if nesessary.

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Basically, similar situation happened to me this past summer.

Some dude and his lady friend are aggressively arguing on their front porch across the street. I sat in the window (as a good witness) with the local PD ready to be called. Things eventually subsided. The dude left and we didn't hear much from him afterwards.

My wife and I both talked about it at length. Our perspective was if we 'notice' the situation after it's escalated to punches being thrown, we still would not intervene unless it's imminent death/bodily harm. Even at that point, it's a scary line to cross. The problem is, as the OP stated, we (the third party) aren't privy to all the facts. When we see punches being thrown, is the guy defending himself from the girl or vice versa ? At that point, it's a tough call. The right call, would be to PD and still keep watch. If someone brandishes a weapon, that might be a good time to get involved and help neutralize things.

If you don't have all the facts and details, being a good witness and the guy to make the phone call is an excellent first step.

Domestic disputes are some of the most dangerous situations to be in as a third party. Best left to the PD, and trust me, they'll agree, more LEO's get hurt in these situations than in others.

Top Bottom