• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I was recently at my girlfriends mothers house. It was late in the evening and we were all having a few drinks. Her stepfather, her BIL (brother-in-law) and myself were all in the kitchen. The topic of firearms came up and her BIL stated that he did not think people should carry firearms because people have mental breakdowns at unknown times and if these people having mental health issues, even though only temporary, are a danger to society if they are armed. I told them that I disagree and the chances of someone needing a firearm for self defense is much greater than the risk for someone losing it and going on a killing spree. The stepfather then chimes in that he was a bouncer and would always inform patrons that they have to leave it in the car or they can't come in. He said, "I can tell about 90% of the time if someone is carrying." I stood there in disbelief because I was carrying a fullsize M&P in an OWB holster and I'm pretty sure I hadn't been made yet. I attribute this to my jacket and his bottle of Johnnie Walker, not my incredible concealment skills. After this I felt that I should probably take my weapon off to avoid any issues. So I put my M&P in my truck for the rest of the night until we left. I was clearly in the minority and did not want to cause any kind of confrontation.

Her father is also somewhat anti-gun as well. He doesn't understand why Police can't just shoot bad guys in the leg. I didn't want to open that can of worms either.

To be fair, they know that I am very pro-gun and I shoot a little bit. I'm not sure if they know I carry all the time, but my girlfriend has come around and she enjoys shooting.

Was I wrong in disarming myself? I was in the mans home so I feel like I should follow his rules or leave. I didn't want to leave. Although he didn't say, "No guns here" either.

Should I just conceal better when I am there? I don't want to do this or anything "sneaky" for that matter unless it is completely warranted. I alternately carry a Glock 19 that I feel I can conceal fairly well.

Should I make a stand as a pro-gun activist and righteously debate until I have won them over to the correct side of the line? I don't think this will go over very well. I'm not very fond of the idea because right now I'm in good standing with her family. I have plenty of time to screw that up later. Why fast track it?

I'm pretty sure I won't convince them to become pro-gun either. Her sister and BIL were upset about a NERF gun being gifted to their 3 year old son. I'm just not sure what to do in this situation.

What does INGO have to say about the girlfriends anti-gun family issue?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I wouldn't have disarmed unless it became an issue with them. Your gun was safer on your hip than in your car, (where it might have been stolen).

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You're in the guys house and you know he is anti gun. I'd leave the gun in the car. I'd also try and take these guys shooting sometime, maybe you can do a conversion.

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    I think you need to do what you feel comfortable with. If leaving it in the truck makes you feel comfortable in their home and want to avoid confrontation then do that but if you CC at some point someone is going to notice and you just need to be ready for any confrontation. I guess you need to decide how important your girlfriend is to you, as the saying goes blood is thicker than water.

Good Luck

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If they hadn't noticed up to that point I would not have taken it off no... And I would just conceal while over there. It'll all be good, and you can try to work on their opinions slowly as the opportunity arises rather than being confronting them so to speak about them. If they do catch you carrying, just tell the truth, that you always do but do so concealed around them due to their thoughts and that it obviously hasn't been a problem and shouldn't be. I think the less you'd make it a big deal the less it would be. That being said, I would try to influence them as much as possible to the correct side of the fence. Offer to take them shooting etc.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It always amazes me the number of people who cite the "they might snap and go on a shooting spree" argument against carrying. Yet these same folks have no problem with the same people driving cars, preparing their food, providing medical services, etc...

They simply see no connection.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It always amazes me the number of people who cite the "they might snap and go on a shooting spree" argument against carrying. Yet these same folks have no problem with the same people driving cars, preparing their food, providing medical services, etc...

They simply see no connection.

he_s_right_you_know_by_nightdemon12-d70r777.jpg

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    When he said that he could tell 90% of the time if someone was carrying I would have looked him in the eyes and replied "well this must be one of those 10% times then."

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    With the addition of Alcohol to the get together I would have either left it alone or taken it to your truck as you did and table the pro-gun conversation for a later time. Invite them to go shooting sometime. Pay their way in and for the ammo to shoot. You might be surprised by the outcome.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012

I can't think of a better reason to be armed, because if someone snaps and goes on a shooting spree, we should be able to protect ourselves. They would likely break the law and go on a spree even if carry was illegal, and then you have a wolf among sheep. The real irony is the liberals claim this, yet out of the other side of their face call us paranoid and that we have no need to carry because the odds of someone going on a shooting spree and you needing a gun to protect yourself is ridiculous. On the other hand, you should not be able to carry, because you might go on a shooting spree. It's like a dog chasing his tail. My response is always "The two claims are mutually exclusive, so which is it." If someone might go on a spree then I and several others that did not snap that day need to be armed to protect themselves and maybe protect others by simply putting the guy down. If that is a paranoid delusion then everyone should carry because that's never going to happen.

As to the OP, I respect a persons home, but I also cherish my right to personal protection. If I leave it in the vehicle it's more dangerous as it could be stolen, also if it is winter now you have condensation of a cold gun warming up when the heater begins working unless you wrap it in something that will warm up gradually. In this case it sounds like you are beginning a relation ship with a girl who is going to have a whole family that does not like you or agree with your personal rights. To me that is a basic right, and those who don't agree will not likely agree with me on anything. I might find another girlfriend simply based on you will likely interface with their family a lot.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    At some point you need to have the conversation with the father simply out of respect for the fact that you're dating his daughter.

Frame it in a way that shows you care about her safety and yours and that carrying is the best way to ensure you can defend yourself and protect her.

I would not have disarmed the other night like you did, but if you have a conversation with him about carrying and he comes out and says no guns in the house you should respect that.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My EX GF's family was anti gun. I stopped carrying my 1911 there for get togethers and pocketed my P3AT for a year or so.
    They lived down the street from where the 2 kids were killed in Cumberland a few years ago by a family friend.
    I've taught them all to shoot and now they're Pro Gun.
    I know it was the circumstances that changed them so be patient with them. It's an unforgiving world at times and something might happen to change their minds and thinking.

Top Bottom