• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Howl Campfires is a company out of Denver CO. They just started producing these this year after 3 year of development. I had been following the project for a bit and was interested in trying one of these. The concept of the product is a propane portable fire pit that actually creates a meaningful heat source.

They are 100% US made in Denver to ridiculous quality standards. They have several videos out explaining how it does what it does, but it heats up to 1200 degrees and radiates heat the same as red hot coals of a fire would. It has 2 modes, top flame only (A flame) and Barcoals, which are the glowing red tubes on the sides. With the A flame and bar coals running on full blast you'll get 6.5 hours of burn on a 20lb tank. Shut one of them off and you'll get around 10. As soon as I could get in on a drop I ordered one and it arrived a few days ago, it absolutely does everything they say it does and gets ridiculously hot. Gives you all the camp fire vibes without the smoke, and all the heat.

They cost $1300.00 but they are built to last.

I do not work for them nor do I have any affiliation with the company, I spent my own money on this and its 100% worth it if this is something you would have a use for. I look forward to using this for years to come both at home and on the road on some hunting trips I am planning to do. They are pretty active on Instagram and Facebook, check them out and if you can, give these guys your business.. They are doing the whole made in America thing right.

s1PatWH.jpg

Z6IV3Wy.jpg

u9BPqqY.jpg

TAcS1gP.jpg

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    For sure, its missin certain aspects of a traditional fire. The appealing thing with this for me was that I can pack this in the truck bed with a tank or 2 and have a fire where ever im at (thinking like truck camping) can also use this in a burn ban. For an extended trip its easier to just stop at a hardware store and refill some propane tanks than bring enough firewood for a week trip or buying up charged bundles at gas stations. The other thing I like is the A flame only setting isnt very hot at all, which would be nice in the summer when I want a fire but I dont really need or want the heat that a real wood fire or the barcoal option would be putting out.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    you'll get 6.5 hours of burn on a 20lb tank=$$
    I can see this being popular in someplace like commiefirnia or cities, but no one I know who camps or lives outside of the city limits would ever use it. They probably sell it as a green alternative to a real fire in liberal hell holes and maybe England(that has a total ban on burning wood for camping). It is more like a $1300+dependency on a propane source virtue signal?

I will have a real fire. With real wood. No way I would ever touch that thing and would mock any friend who had one as a sucker.

looking at the website.....how right I was.

yep.jpg

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    you'll get 6.5 hours of burn on a 20lb tank=$$
    I can see this being popular in someplace like commiefirnia or cities, but no one I know who camps or lives outside of the city limits would ever use it. They probably sell it as a green alternative to a real fire in liberal hell holes and maybe England(that has a total ban on burning wood for camping). It is more like a $1300+dependency on a propane source virtue signal?

I will have a real fire. With real wood. No way I would ever touch that thing and would mock any friend who had one as a sucker.

looking at the website.....how right I was.

View attachment 322766
    Some folks simply don't know what they don't know. To someone used to being surrounded 24/7 by concrete and 90* angles for years on end, they would easily appreciate this thing burning if they were away from that hell. Folks who know what a camp fire looks, smells and feels like would find little use for it outside of a survival situation.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Some of yall are way too triggered by a piece of metal.

If you are just not into it then thats cool. I just dont get the mindset of having to trash on someone for using it. Its not here to take your fire wood away lol.
    I have spent loads of time in the woods.

I would call myself frugal, and generally do not spend much on things that are not a need. I am honest and not all that politically correct.

I think it is a nice device for someone who does not have access to the real thing, for legal or location reasons. Short of that I see no reasonable explanation for it to even exist, especially at the cost needed to buy and run it.

I do have access to the real thing, and in abundance in my backyard and forested acres. I am not worried about it taking my firewood.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have spent loads of time in the woods.

I would call myself frugal, and generally do not spend much on things that are not a need. I am honest and not all that politically correct.

I think it is a nice device for someone who does not have access to the real thing, for legal or location reasons. Short of that I see no reasonable explanation for it to even exist, especially at the cost needed to buy and run it.

I do have access to the real thing, and in abundance in my backyard and forested acres. I am not worried about it taking my firewood.
    I could see this as a useful item for people that get out in extreme conditions well beyond the normal weekend camping trip.

It's not much of a burden to make a fire on a Friday night in the spring or summer to roast weenies and make s'mores. But that's not always possible to do quickly and efficiently on a glacier, or at basecamp of a mountain.

Am I, or most of INGO, the target buyer for this? Probably not. But I can for sure see situations where having it would be a heck of a lot better than trying to scrounge up firewood all night long. Or where getting a fire going fast would be advantageous.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I could see this as a useful item for people that get out in extreme conditions well beyond the normal weekend camping trip.

It's not much of a burden to make a fire on a Friday night in the spring or summer to roast weenies and make s'mores. But that's not always possible to do quickly and efficiently on a glacier, or at basecamp of a mountain.

Am I, or most of INGO, the target buyer for this? Probably not. But I can for sure see situations where having it would be a heck of a lot better than trying to scrounge up firewood all night long. Or where getting a fire going fast would be advantageous.
    There are tons of propane fire rings that already have been serving that purpose...most are less than $200. Like...

Other than slightly less fuel consumption I see no advantage to the new and improved one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I suspect this is their market. People who would have backyards like this. More power to them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Though an interesting thought. I wonder if these would skirt open burn laws since they wont have embers and the like floating away setting wildfires?

THat could be another market. For folks that really really REALLY want a campfire but the local FD/rangers say no.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    There are tons of propane fire rings that already have been serving that purpose...most are less than $200. Like...

Other than slightly less fuel consumption I see no advantage to the new and improved one.
    The 200 dollar ones don't put out the heat this one does. To my knowledge this is the only heating at this level, like I said in my OP its as hot as the coals of a wood fire. They have a couple videos showing the internal process that allows this to burn the way it does, pretty interesting design.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Though an interesting thought. I wonder if these would skirt open burn laws since they wont have embers and the like floating away setting wildfires?

THat could be another market. For folks that really really REALLY want a campfire but the local FD/rangers say no.
    Thats actually the entire purpose behind its development. This is classified as an outdoor gas appliance. There was alot put into the design to allow it to be classified as such and allow it to be used during burn bans. The guys who make it were tired of using the propane fire pits that were available because they just didnt keep you warm like a real fire but they also didnt want to be violating burn bans.

Alot of it diacussed in this video starting at the 15 min mark

Last edited:
    Top Bottom