• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    There is only one good thing about cold weather. Ice fishing! Anyone getting out on the lakes yet? I would like to think that they should be pretty solid.:dunno:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not thick enough in Lawrence county yet, apparently. Somebody fell through and drowned yesterday on some little lake I'd never heard of down here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It doesnt get cold enough long enough here in Indiana to be safe. At least not down here in central IN.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I think WBIW maybe got it wrong (again). Everything I have heard is Black Swan Lake. It is a pay fishing lake near both Medora and Norman. Either way the ice is seldom thich enough for me to get on in this area.

Looks like WBIW has been corrected.

Last edited:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Never been. I figured with the cold surely some lakes and ponds up north should be froze over enough by now? My inexperience must show in that assumption, which is probably why I've never been ice fishing.

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    We went yesterday in Vigo county to a large lake. I drilled several holes along the shallow spots in front of the points.
    I wasn't sure and felt un-easy, we walked out to our spot but the ice was cracking. I noticed the ice around hole's I drilled where 2" of frosted ice and 1-2"
    was clear ice with 3 to 4" total thickness. There was an open area of water about 100yrds from us.
    Needless to say we didnt stay, I wasn't feeling right about the ice.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    We went yesterday in Vigo county to a large lake. I drilled several holes along the shallow spots in front of the points.
    I wasn't sure and felt un-easy, we walked out to our spot but the ice was cracking. I noticed the ice around hole's I drilled where 2" of frosted ice and 1-2"
    was clear ice with 3 to 4" total thickness. There was an open area of water about 100yrds from us.
    Needless to say we didnt stay, I wasn't feeling right about the ice.

I grew up in the niagara falls/buffalo area. Dad says that numerous people would drive their vehicles out onto the ice on the area lakes and rivers when ice fishing. He also said that numerous people would lose their vehicles when the ice cracked & then broke through the ice.

Crappiepro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    North East Vigo County
    I been Ice fishin since I was 7 or 8yrs old. Im 46 now. I never seen driver trucks on the ice here in my area LOL. I doubt if it was thick enuff I do it anyway, we ran a snowmobile on the ice before and that was 8" of ice.
    As I thinkin about it, Im glad it doesn't get cold enuff here to have that thick of ice LOL!

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    I grew up in Michigan (little town about 20 miles south of the Upper Peninsula). We regularly drove the truck on the lake at this time of year. One year we had our shanty about 1/4 mile out on one of the lakes, and decided to switch lakes. We drove out in the morning, loaded the shanty on the truck, drove out about a 1/2 mile on the next lake, and spent the rest of the day chipping through 2 1/2 feet of clear ice.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm voting for thaw! I caught a whole lot of fish from the bank a couple years ago in March.

I didn't put enough fish in the freezer last year. I had my last pound last week and I'd been saving it for a while. :(

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Ice here in Lagrange county is 10-12". Has been safe since January it's just been really cold so I haven't been out like I want. Caught so many thru the ice last year the family boycotted fish for a while so I still have a few meals left anyway.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I'll have to check my pond today. I don't ice fish but the wife likes to ice skate. Friend of mine had his pickup on the pond last year(over 12" thick) and we regularly rode atv's on it. I'm not sure it'll get THAT thick this year. Maybe after this next week.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    We went out last Friday. We had 8" in Rushville and 10" in Knightstown. My buddy fished a pond yesterday in Morristown and he said he had 2-4" depending on where he drilled. We caught a lot 7-8" crappie in Knightstown. My buddy caught a 18" large mouth in Rushville.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Seen 2 guys on a farm pond up around Muncie today on my way up 69, I was heading to Muncie they were off 69 about 2 miles from Muncie... Looked like they had moved 2 or 3 time trying to get on some fish judging by the foot prints in the snow in the ice....

Top Bottom