• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWeber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2023
    Linton
    Anyone have any suggestions for reloading with hsm plated bullets. I plan on using 180 grain hsm plated bullets with accurate number 9 or HP-38. Ill be shooting out of a S&W model 610 10mm. Current info I find suggests using lead cast data of similar weight (cant find any) or mid range jacketed data (can find but not sure if I should) but am having trouble to coming to any conclusions. Anyone have any suggestions?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Use lead data for plated bullets. They compress and seal against the barrel the same way lead does. They are sized accordingly.

I always go on the high end of load chart (and sometimes over max) since most plated bullets are rated to 1200-1300fps, and can handle the spanking from heavy loads.

SWeber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2023
    Linton
    Thanks for the reply. I cant locate lead data for 10mm lead bullets. I have read on Berrys bullets you can use jacketed data for similar size bullet (use mid range data) as long as you dont exceed 1250fps, but was wanting more advice before I load a few. Hornady 11th edition shows 180 grain fmj at 1100 fps with 13.2 grains of accurate number 9, I thought about using this data to start?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    This is my personal advice and should be taken with a grain of salt. YMMV. Having said that, I wouldn't sweat either of these load suggestions since I've loaded both. Load data on the internet should be used at your own educated risk.

Also, plated bullets have less friction and usually build less pressure than jacketed bullets.

For HP-38, my personal advice would be to start at 5.6 and go up to 6.3gns. If there are no signs of pressure on your primers and your slide isn't slapping, move it up to 6.5gns. Acme FP-NL is a powder coated lead bullet and shoots like a plated.

For AA-9, my personal advice would be start at 12.5 and max it at 13.0. If you're not seeing signs of pressure at 13.0gns, push it to 13.3. AA-9 is a magnum pistol powder and generally isn't used with plated bullets. Didn't say it can't, just say it isn't usually. 1300fps is still at the top range of plated velocities. Don't shoot this load through a suppressor.

I state liberally that this is my personal advice and should be used and interpreted as such.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom