• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Took the day off of work to kayak fish Yesterday, decided to head out to Destin Pass and paddled out to the West Jetty. Current was a bit strong pushing me further out towards the Gulf so I made the worst mistake ever, I threw out my anchor. It immediately caught in the rocks and I capsized. Lost my rods, most of my equipment, my Iphone was in my pocket (ruined), camera floated away too. Luckily my pelican case with wallet and keys floated near me so I could save it. I couldn't get the anchor line loose to unhook it so I couldn't flip the kayak back over. Eventually I was able to get my knife and cut it loose. Once I flipped the kayak back over I attempted to get back on, only to find out I was tangled in my sunken fishing rods and hooked in the leg. I cut the line and realized I was very close to the rocks. So I swam over and to make it easier to get back on my yak. In the process I managed to slice both hands and feet. Once I was back on board I then had to paddle 400 yards against the current to get back to my Jeep. Ended up in the ER and lost hundreds of dollars worth of equipment, my feet and hands are shredded, but it could have been worse. So what did I learn?
    Never drop anchor in current.
    Secure everything to the yak.
    Don't get near those rocks, they're sharp.
    The most important thing I realized was my thought process for this trip was the same I have for fishing the lake. The Bay is totally different than the lake, much more dangerous. I learned my lesson today. Bay 1 Doug 0

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom