• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, my wife just came back from the local public library. Was looking for the newer book "If I Can't Have You: Susan Powell, Her Mysterious Disappearance, and the Murder of Her Children". Well, it wasn't all the shelf, so she talked to the desk. They will not order it, because "it is about a real murder". They refused to check an inter-library loan.

I guess fictional murders are just fine. A lot of other real murders (Amanda Knox) are perfectly OK. The entire "best sellers" display is murder mysteries. But this particular murder is off-limits.

Looks like the Indianapolis library system doesn't feel the same. Book is available at several locations. Might see if they will send it to Brownsburg.

Gotta protect us from ourselves. :rolleyes:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, my wife just came back from the local public library. Was looking for the newer book "If I Can't Have You: Susan Powell, Her Mysterious Disappearance, and the Murder of Her Children". Well, it wasn't all the shelf, so she talked to the desk. They will not order it, because "it is about a real murder". They refused to check an inter-library loan.

I guess fictional murders are just fine. A lot of other real murders (Amanda Knox) are perfectly OK. The entire "best sellers" display is murder mysteries. But this particular murder is off-limits.

Looks like the Indianapolis library system doesn't feel the same. Book is available at several locations. Might see if they will send it to Brownsburg.

Gotta protect us from ourselves. :rolleyes:

First things first. You named this thread wrong. It's supposed to start off "15 years of deception...", or, I guess maybe 7.

:stickpoke: Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Right after the person at the desk said "it is about a real murder" maybe you should have asked if they haven any of the books on Jonbenet Ramsey. I really don't know why they wouldn't carry the Susan Powell book. The "murder" reason sounds more like an excuse than a policy.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Right after the person at the desk said "it is about a real murder" maybe you should have asked if they haven any of the books on Jonbenet Ramsey. I really don't know why they wouldn't carry the Susan Powell book. The "murder" reason sounds more like an excuse than a policy.
    My wife said she pointed to the Amanda Knox book that was on display mere feet from the desk. The librarian's comment was "she was acquitted".

It blows my mind that they wouldn't do an inter-library loan.

The whole thing was absurd. My wife threw up her hands (literally, I imagine) and told them as much. Her mother is now picking it up from the local Indy library, and giving it to my wife to read. I'm sure that violates some policy, but at least it isn't as bad as MURDER.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sounds like one person on a power trip.

That Amanda Knox was acquitted does not exactly obviate the fact that her roommate was murdered.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I thought libraries were supposed to be all about "freedom of information." I guess even the arbiters of all things literary are now taking it upon themselves to censor what is available for us to read "for our own good." I KNEW there was a reason I let my library card lapse . . .

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I thought libraries were supposed to be all about "freedom of information." I guess even the arbiters of all things literary are now taking it upon themselves to censor what is available for us to read "for our own good." I KNEW there was a reason I let my library card lapse . . .

Libraries are largely becoming obsolete. Because we homeschool, I find myself in the library at least once or twice a month. I rarely see anyone in the book isles. They're all sitting in front of the public access computers, surfing the internet. It seems that they're mostly retired people, but also some apparently homeless people mixed in. Anymore, libraries = public (free) internet access.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My wife said she pointed to the Amanda Knox book that was on display mere feet from the desk. The librarian's comment was "she was acquitted".

It blows my mind that they wouldn't do an inter-library loan.

The whole thing was absurd. My wife threw up her hands (literally, I imagine) and told them as much. Her mother is now picking it up from the local Indy library, and giving it to my wife to read. I'm sure that violates some policy, but at least it isn't as bad as MURDER.

Ask to see the boss.
    Then that boss's boss.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

My mother was a librarian in an elementary school. That doesn't give me special knowledge of library procedures, but it does give me a bit of insight into the mindset. What this library worker told the OP's wife sounds, as others have said, like an excuse to me. As to censorship, though, not necessarily. There is only so much budgeted for new books and only so much shelf space. Some decisions need to be made as to what will be ordered and made available. What one calls censorship, another will call prudent ordering.

OP: This doesn't in any way address the refusal to explore interlibrary loans, of course. I think Actaeon has the right idea. Everyone there has a boss. If your voice alone doesn't persuade those people to address your request for information (in whatever form), then perhaps multiple voices will do so: Bring a petition.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Libraries are largely becoming obsolete. Because we homeschool, I find myself in the library at least once or twice a month. I rarely see anyone in the book isles. They're all sitting in front of the public access computers, surfing the internet. It seems that they're mostly retired people, but also some apparently homeless people mixed in. Anymore, libraries = public (free) internet access.

I visit my local library at least weekly since I have small kids. My experiences are pretty much the polar opposite. It's always fairly busy when we go. Granted it's usually in the evening or on weekends. I guess it just depends on the library.

Top Bottom