• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Is a hunter safety course required to get a hunting license? Probably a good idea to take it either way since I haven't been hunting before, just trying to find out what order to do things in(license before course vs. course before license) and to find a time/place to take the course so I don't wait to long and miss out on the season. Thanks in advance

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Only if you are born after DEC 31 1986 you have to take a course, however if you need to take one they should be coming up soon!
    this^^
    I took mine online however. its time regulated so you cant just skip through it. i learned a lot from it and i would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about picking up hunting even if you were born before the cutoff

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I took mine online however.

I have taken the on-line course as well. It was fairly beneficial and I would recommend it if you have never hunted before. It covers some very good info.

But, as other above have stated, an actual field safety course would be ideal.

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    Wow I even learned something I had no idea about a on-line version. Guy I work with took his son last year to a class and was 10hrs long. You could split it up to 2 sessions or a 1 day event. Good to know this!

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Wow I even learned something I had no idea about a on-line version. Guy I work with took his son last year to a class and was 10hrs long. You could split it up to 2 sessions or a 1 day event. Good to know this!
    only bad think about that is your children have to be at least 12 to take the test online. i may be wrong but i dont think there is an age limit for the classroom course. i am sure it has to be a reasonable age though

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I teach the class and thoroughly enjoy it. Even though older than a certain age it is not required, it is still a good idea. I learned quite a bit my self while getting certified. If you are heading out of state to hunt, they often require a hunter safety class before buying a license.

There is no age cut off to take the class, however, my experience is that under 10 years find it hard to take the test.

Last year some friends and I put together a video to use in the class, a memory scheme for teaching the 10 commandments of firearm safety. Feel free to use it if you find it helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=katoko733iw&feature=channel_video_title

Our next class is October 15-16 in LaGrange and we still have some room.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Thanks for the replies. I agree that it would be beneficial to take since I've never been. Just wasn't sure if proof was required to get a license. Didn't want to go to buy the license and get told to go away

Top Bottom