• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I had a west highland terrier (RIP SID) that recovered some unbelievable deer for people who had shot them either poorly or negligently (in a few cases). DOG WILL HUNT(inserted primus reference)
    Good beaver hunting in these parts. Saw a big ol brown one the other day...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Careful with that, brother.

There is a time and place for shooting at the head, but there are many more times that are not appropriate. Gotta know the difference and stay on the right side of stupid.
    Putting a bullet through the eye or ear hole isn't much of a problem at 50 yards even 100. I do not have much more than 50 yard shots in my woods. My rifle shoots sub MOA so it is very easy to do. Imo that is the most humane way to take a deer.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of good ol boys out in the woods that do some really questionable s@!t. A lot of people simply aren't disciplined enough to wait until they have a clean shot and do it the right way.

There's also the complexity of deer behavior itself, and sometimes they behave in unexpected ways, which can present a suddenly hard to hit or moving target, even for an experienced marksman

I try to play it safe out of respect for the animal but not all are as cautious.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Putting a bullet through the eye or ear hole isn't much of a problem at 50 yards even 100. I do not have much more than 50 yard shots in my woods. My rifle shoots sub MOA so it is very easy to do. Imo that is the most humane way to take a deer.
    Except when you miss a few inches and blow off the mouth/nose.

More power to you if you 100% hit the 2-4 inch brain target. I'll stick with the vitals at 8 ish.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Except when you miss a few inches and blow off the mouth/nose.

More power to you if you 100% hit the 2-4 inch brain target. I'll stick with the vitals at 8 ish.
    I haven't missed yet. Besides I don't take a shot unless I know I can hit it. The reason I didn't get my deer this year. Seen several but they didn't give me the shot I wanted so I let them pass. Several were to small. I'm a meat hunter so I want them nice and healthy.

What would the difference be if I did mess up? How would that be different than blowing a 2" hole in their side and crippling a leg?
    Why am I being targeted for dropping deer with 1 shot where they stand no pain? Where others shoot lungs etc and they run for a 1/4 mile, or the gut shot deer run until they find water. I've never messed up and I have never had to track my deer. I've helped others in the past. My rifles are able to shoot 1 moa at 100yds that's smaller than a deer eye or ear hole.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I haven't missed yet. Besides I don't take a shot unless I know I can hit it. The reason I didn't get my deer this year. Seen several but they didn't give me the shot I wanted so I let them pass. Several were to small. I'm a meat hunter so I want them nice and healthy.

What would the difference be if I did mess up? How would that be different than blowing a 2" hole in their side and crippling a leg?
    Why am I being targeted for dropping deer with 1 shot where they stand no pain? Where others shoot lungs etc and they run for a 1/4 mile, or the gut shot deer run until they find water. I've never messed up and I have never had to track my deer. I've helped others in the past. My rifles are able to shoot 1 moa at 100yds that's smaller than a deer eye or ear hole.
    Nothing against you personally friend. Hadn't had my coffee yet so my post maybe sounded slightly more antagonistic than was merited - sorry -

You are to be commended for having shot discipline along with all other ethical hunters.
    For me I just stick with the bigger target; none of my kills have run more than 25 yards. The spot I've had success with is more like 150 yards, so that changes my view as well.

As long as anyone is using a sufficient caliber, and a sufficiently accurate rifle system (shooter included) I'm happy for anyone to ethically kill as many deer as they are able.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Nothing against you personally friend. Hadn't had my coffee yet so my post maybe sounded slightly more antagonistic than was merited - sorry -

You are to be commended for having shot discipline along with all other ethical hunters.
    For me I just stick with the bigger target; none of my kills have run more than 25 yards. The spot I've had success with is more like 150 yards, so that changes my view as well.

As long as anyone is using a sufficient caliber, and a sufficiently accurate rifle system (shooter included) I'm happy for anyone to ethically kill as many deer as they are able.
    I don't have that much range the whitetail stay in the woods until night then hit the fields to eat. They've been hunted a lot, and several are depredation hunting so they are getting hunted year round for the last 3 years.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I found 8 deer hit by cars along one field at a place I hunted. One season
    Who knows how many limped off or got bonked and went to other side of the road.

Dang motorists.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There are no guarantees afield.
    Yes, one practices and goes over their gear and takes good shots.

But even then, the hunter is human.

Unseen object, animal movement, equipment problem....or maybe an actual less than perfectly executed shot.

For the purists that have never lost one....that ego will slam the ground a little extra hard, when it falls from the treestand.

Never say never.

You cant control everything. Even when you try.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I had a 3 legged doe living on my property, missing a front leg. Not sure what happened to her, saw her for 3 years even a couple of years with fawns. She was a survivor and was off limits on my property, I figured if she could survive that then she could live in peace at my place.
    We had one here that was missing her left front leg. We first saw her in 2004 when it was injured and dangling. The last time I have her on my cameras was 2018. For 14 years, we watched her raise twins or triplets every year.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    put one down last year on my place that someone shot and never found.....she was still up and moving put smelled like rotten meat from 20 feet away....

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

The operative word there is yet. You're purposefully targeting the smallest and least stationary vital zone in a deer, you're playing with fire.

The difference is a deer can live with 3 legs. A deer shot in the nose or worse the jaw is going to suffer for days to weeks before starving to death or succumbing to dehydration.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The operative word there is yet. You're purposefully targeting the smallest and least stationary vital zone in a deer, you're playing with fire.

The difference is a deer can live with 3 legs. A deer shot in the nose or worse the jaw is going to suffer for days to weeks before starving to death or succumbing to dehydration.
    Again what is the difference between putting a 2" hole in the side and a broken leg? It definitely isn't going to live like that. If I mess up I have 9 more rds to send within a few seconds.
    You are mistaken me for missing which hasn't happened.
    You are up in arms over absolutely nothing. You just don't like where I shoot the deer it violates your moral code I'm guessing. Yet it gets the job done without pain to the animal.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Again what is the difference between putting a 2" hole in the side and a broken leg? It definitely isn't going to live like that. If I mess up I have 9 more rds to send within a few seconds.
    You are mistaken me for missing which hasn't happened.
    You are up in arms over absolutely nothing. You just don't like where I shoot the deer it violates your moral code I'm guessing. Yet it gets the job done without pain to the animal.
    Plenty of deer have lived with broken or worse legs, in fact several examples are discussed in this thread.

Having not missed yet doesn't mean you're incapable of missing. It seems you're set on learning things the hard way. When you miss, and you eventually will, hopefully its a clean miss and you check to make sure.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I thought I had shared Gompy's story here in the past.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Plenty of deer have lived with broken or worse legs, in fact several examples are discussed in this thread.

Having not missed yet doesn't mean you're incapable of missing. It seems you're set on learning things the hard way. When you miss, and you eventually will, hopefully its a clean miss and you check to make sure.
    No doubt they live with broken legs. Yet you keep failing to address the 2" hole in their sides, or the gut shot deer. They do not live and die painfully over days.

My style of hunting works best for me and I will keep doing it that way. If you are unable to take a good head shoot by all means shot toward the heart or lungs. Hopefully you hit the heart so it only suffers a few seconds. The lungs they suffer much longer. If you hit the gut that's a very long painful death.

I dont recommend shooting deer in the eye or ear hole to those who are not able to do so.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I thought I had shared Gompy's story here in the past.

The thread started with a deer shot through not just a broken leg that is what I'm addressing.

Top Bottom