• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Let your voice be heard and help reverse these anti-hunter, anti-gun policies.

Hunters want bow hunting allowed in Portage

PORTAGE | Chuck James is going to ask City Council members to revise a long-standing city ordinance prohibiting bow hunting within city limits.
    James says it's a matter of safety.

An avid bow hunter, James said he and a few friends are drawing up a petition to present to the council that would allow bow hunting of deer within season on a parcel of land more than 5 acres in size with the landowner's permission.

A change, he said, would not only give bow hunters a better opportunity to practice their sport closer to home, but it would reduce the increasing deer population in the city and reduce vehicle-vs.-deer accidents within its limits.

City Attorney Ken Elwood said city ordinance now prohibits all hunting with either archery equipment or firearms in city limits. The only exception allows residents on 10 acres or more to eliminate "small pestic" animals. Deer don't fall into that exception. The use of archery equipment, even for target practice, also is banned in the city.

There are two other exceptions in the city. The Shirley Heinz Foundation has received permission from the city the last three years for a bow hunting deer cull at its John Merle Coulter Nature Preserve on the northwest side of the city. A local grain farmer also received a special exception to have hunters, using firearms, cull deer from his property.

Bob Porch, Indiana Department of Natural Resources biologist, said several municipalities have begun to examine laws regarding hunting of deer within their municipal limits.

"I do know other cities who through time who have seen an increase in deer and have begun to rethink their anti-hunting status," Porch said. "We have more deer in Indiana than we ever had."

Porch said he believes bow hunting is a "very safe" method to cull deer. Deer, too, have been evolving, Porch said. They have become less timid toward humans and have also changed their eating habits from foraging in the forest to eating landscape materials, he said.

"It is a hotbed issue through much of Indiana," Porch said about deer hunting restrictions.

James said he would work with council members to craft a new ordinance, including regulations, if they consider changing the city's current regulations. James said petitions are available at the office of 24/7 Taxi, 8190 Ridge Road, Hobart, and any hunter interested in becoming involved in the effort can reach him at (219) 406-5055.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Most bow hunters take shots only 20 to 30 yards why do they think that it is unsafe?

The time of cowboys (people having guns on their hips) and indians (people using bows to hunt) is over people. Guns are not needed in our civilied society where everyone follows the law and only Bad Guys (on TV) use guns. If you want deer meat so badly then go to your local meat store and buy it. :rolleyes:

On a serious note it's "dangerous" becuase the only reference point most sheep have is the cowboys & indian movies and in the movies a single arrow can travel very far, pierce armor and kill you! Now you want to hae arrow's flying all over town. NO WAY is the line of thinkng of the sheep. :faint:

AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    I don't have time to read this whole thread right now(i just read bits and pieces), but I am going to speak from what the TITLE says:

ANTI-HUNTERS.....are you serious?? Why are deer on the earth?? To over populate or what??

I think its completely ridiculous that you can't hunt in the city limits. Seems to me that....thats where MOST Deer are to begin with!! That county must have a HUGE population of deer!! Wow!!

Good Luck!! I hope they come to realize that it won't hurt to let people hunt. I'd go nuts!!!

Top Bottom