• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have one of my F1 cans out to an SOT for a recore. I have talked to him about my HTA cans. He can recore those as well.... and improve the suppression quality too.

Problem is that he is way backed up... good things and all that I guess.

I met the owner of HTA and he was a great guy. This was when they were first starting out. I got to see the first 5.56 prototype. It is a shame that it all went downhill like that.

There are articles and vidz out there specifically dealing with making the Kestrel cans sound better. I am not doing anything with mine until I get the other can back, so I can swap them out on my HD rifle.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Seems like they also got gobbled up by competition since there is a LOT of new suppressors and many more options. I've seen them as old school personally. Oh well, there are some great up and comers in silencers to take their place.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Whee, now I have 3 suppressors that have no factory support. Glad I took advantage of their warranty when my Kestrel 556 had a baffle strike (due to a bad bore/threading on a IMI Tavor... which they fixed under warranty as well). I have to say the Kestrel came back looking better than new, so they were doing that.

I really wish I hadn't let the guy at Profire talk me into a Guardian 22 SS when I was looking at a Sparrow. I've never been super happy with the sound and now it has no support. Maybe I can find someone to re-core it and make it quieter.

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    Whee, now I have 3 suppressors that have no factory support. Glad I took advantage of their warranty when my Kestrel 556 had a baffle strike (due to a bad bore/threading on a IMI Tavor... which they fixed under warranty as well). I have to say the Kestrel came back looking better than new, so they were doing that.

I really wish I hadn't let the guy at Profire talk me into a Guardian 22 SS when I was looking at a Sparrow. I've never been super happy with the sound and now it has no support. Maybe I can find someone to re-core it and make it quieter.

Liberty has a monocore they can drop in for you but its not cheap.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I've never been super happy with the sound and now it has no support. Maybe I can find someone to re-core it and make it quieter.

Once I get my re-cored F1 back I will let you know. He does .22 cans as well, but it is pretty easy to quiet down that round.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    "Due to ongoing softness in the suppressor market, Huntertown Arms is ceasing operations."

I don't think that's an accurate statement. Suppressors are becoming more popular every day. Huntertown had a good corner of the market in affordable suppressors with good warranties. Unfortunately, their customer service was horrible from the start, they started changing their warranty, continued with horrible service, and it caught up with them.

Agreed, the only reason my LGS didn't sell their stuff was because their customer service wasn't any good. The owner told me he had been in contact with them once on dealer pricing and couldn't even get an order filled with them. He said their communication and things were so bad he just wasn't going to carry their stuff but he hated it with them being in the state and all.

Sad to hear they closed though, I've got one of their 22 cans I fell into on a deal. I'm sure there are other people out there who can service them is something happens though.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

I wonder if they changed their baffles or something I've got their guardian but it's the larger model than what I was seeing most recently (maybe you've got that). Anyhow I've shot it next to Dead Air, Surefire, Spikes, Rugged and a couple other 22 cans on 22/45's and I never felt like it was a huge under performer or anything at all.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I wonder if they changed their baffles or something I've got their guardian but it's the larger model than what I was seeing most recently (maybe you've got that). Anyhow I've shot it next to Dead Air, Surefire, Spikes, Rugged and a couple other 22 cans on 22/45's and I never felt like it was a huge under performer or anything at all.

Don't get me wrong, it does make it hearing safe. But compared to even older Guardian 22 (the aluminum baffle ones), my Guardian 22 SS is noticeably louder... and of course, way heavier with those stainless baffles. At the time, I went that route because I had a PS90 SBR and an AR57 upper for my M16, so having a full auto rated can that could handle 5.7x28 seemed like a good idea. Of course, now I've gotten rid of both of those (and that entire caliber) and so I'm left with just a heavy .22 can.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

well if its any condolence https://gemtech.com/improved-outback-upgrade-iou-program

gemtec can upgrade "most" suppressors to the outback2 monocore but its 250.00

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Not a knock on huntertown, but I've never seen the point in "Bargain suppressors" Sure you only pay $99 for the suppressor but after stamp its $300 and rarely will people buy used suppressors. Which is why I spent the 4 or $500 and bought a dead air 22 can.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Don't knock peoples' budgets. Some folks don't want to spend $300 to $400 on a .22 suppressor. Me included. I'll take any saved money from an "overly" expensive .22 and put it towards a higher quality bigger caliber round. Which I did.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Don't knock peoples' budgets. Some folks don't want to spend $300 to $400 on a .22 suppressor. Me included. I'll take any saved money from an "overly" expensive .22 and put it towards a higher quality bigger caliber round. Which I did.

I've only ever "skimped" on 22 cans, which I now regret. I hate cleaning aluminum and I've yet to find a lower priced can that sounded as good as a higher budget one (rifles are close but on pistols that's when you tell a major difference). When I got my 3rd 22 can I said hell with it and got a Rugged Oculus

When I got my Huntertown I should have just spent more and got a Silencerco Spectre

If PTP Tactical was around when I got my first 22 can I would have gladly went that route just because the steel baffles

Top Bottom