• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I'd like to thank Matt at Front Toward Enemy Firearms for setting up the testing, and Bill from NFATalk for sitting for about 5 hours while we metered suppressors yesterday. There were a couple other INGO members there for short bursts, and it was nice to put names and faces together.

What did we learn? Matt is an awesome host, cooks a great sandwich, and his daughter is a swashbuckling protector of the innocent. Bill really knows his stuff when it comes to all things engineering. And that the Sparrow costs about $100 pe dB reduced over the cost of the Guardian. Yep, head to head the Sparrow metered 3 dB quieter than the Guardian, and costs $300 more. Simple math. We'll give up the 3 dB. You keep the $300 change.

The B metered incredibly. At just 3.75 inches long, it didn't win the quietest can of the day award. But it was impressive. While waiting for Bill to crunch and release the numbers, it's safe to say it metered competitively to the Yankee Hill Mite. At over 1.5 inches shorter, that's a pretty tall (or short, as it were) order.

Same with our Guardian 9 prototype. It metered well within hearing safe range dry, and when wet was quieter than the Yankee Hill Cobra 9. When you consider that it's still a prototype, is 6 inches long, weights 4 ounces, fits under your current sights at a diameter of 1.085 inches, and can play hide and seek INSIDE the Cobra Tube, I think that's a pretty good accomplishment.

Again, thanks to Matt and Bill.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :D
    I'd like to thank Matt at Front Toward Enemy Firearms for setting up the testing, and Bill from NFATalk for sitting for about 5 hours while we metered suppressors yesterday. There were a couple other INGO members there for short bursts, and it was nice to put names and faces together.

What did we learn? Matt is an awesome host, cooks a great sandwich, and his daughter is a swashbuckling protector of the innocent. Bill really knows his stuff when it comes to all things engineering. And that the Sparrow costs about $100 pe dB reduced over the cost of the Guardian. Yep, head to head the Sparrow metered 3 dB quieter than the Guardian, and costs $300 more. Simple math. We'll give up the 3 dB. You keep the $300 change.

The B metered incredibly. At just 3.75 inches long, it didn't win the quietest can of the day award. But it was impressive. While waiting for Bill to crunch and release the numbers, it's safe to say it metered competitively to the Yankee Hill Mite. At over 1.5 inches shorter, that's a pretty tall (or short, as it were) order.

Same with our Guardian 9 prototype. It metered well within hearing safe range dry, and when wet was quieter than the Yankee Hill Cobra 9. When you consider that it's still a prototype, is 6 inches long, weights 4 ounces, fits under your current sights at a diameter of 1.085 inches, and can play hide and seek INSIDE the Cobra Tube, I think that's a pretty good accomplishment.

Id love to see some of the numbers from the test any idea when they will be posted or will they???:):

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Huntertown Arms .22 suppressors now available at INGO advertiser

Applied Ballistics Systems Inc.
    3217 Olympia Dr.
    Lafayette, In. 47909
    765-838-0700

$170 + tax (and paperwork)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Huntertown Arms .22 suppressors now available at INGO advertiser

Applied Ballistics Systems Inc.
    3217 Olympia Dr.
    Lafayette, In. 47909
    765-838-0700

$170 + tax (and paperwork)

Why don't they just figure the cost of paperwork into their price... since paperwork is part of the job?!?!? Except that they want to advertise a really good price and then nick you on the added fees when you walk in the door. Poor, IMO!

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana

I am no sound expert but I thought that decibel differences when dealing with sound were more of an exponential difference?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I am no sound expert but I thought that decibel differences when dealing with sound were more of an exponential difference?

According to Bill at NFATalk, the typical person percieves little if any difference between two sounds within 5 - 6 dB. This was quite evident yesterday, as we could tell little difference between the two suppressors at 3 feet. At 25 feet there is no difference at all.

You could definately tell a difference between the Mite and the Guardian. The Mite was ~ 9-10 dB higher on the meter.

I think metering is interesting at a geek level, but I put little stock into metered numbers from a practical standpoint. I may (or may not) be biased, so take my opinion for what you will. I tend to think of suppressors as hollywood quiet, quiet, loud, and ineffective. To my ear the Guardian and Sparrow are both quiet. To everyone that has listened to them side by side I've never heard anyone say one is percieved louder than the other. There are so many other factors (cost, cool, size, weight, etc.) that come into play when deciding which suppressor to buy that today's metered results really don't mean much. As Bill told me yesterday, a can that meters in first place today will meter in third tomorrow, sometimes for no apparent reason.

The tests on June 11 put the Guardian in the 124 dB range firing GemTech's new subsonic ammo thru a P22. Yesterday was quite different, with one string on the GSG 1911 ~ 118 firing CCI Standard Velocity ammo. The same test yeilded a result ~ 115 for the Sparrow. Others will have to decide if 3 dB that you can't really perceive is worth $300. To some it will be. To others it won't.

This is the way I look at it. If I understand the rough numbers Bill gave me yesterday, the test we ran put the Sparrow at ~ -40dB and the Guardian at ~ -37dB. The Sparrow MSRPs at $499, the Guardian at $199. That's $12.48 per reduced dB for the Sparrow and $5.38 for the Guardian. Even factoring in the stamp cost the Sparrow costs $17.48 per reduced dB while the Guardian comes in at $10.78. That's 62% more for a suppressor with 3 dB lower sound levels that you can't get ahold of for 14 months, while we have the Guardian in stock and ready to ship today. The other way to look at it is that you are paying $300 for a 3 dB reduction (the cost differential between the Sparrow and the Guardian).

I am excited to offer a suppressor with the capabilities of the Guardian at the price we can offer them for, and thank the hundreds of customers that have purchased the Guardian that agree with us. I am thankful that Bill took most of his day to work with us to understand the sound reduction of our suppressor, and look forward to utilizing his expertise in the future to develop the best suppressor we can at the best price on the market.

MikeA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    where does the Price competitive Thompson machine fall into the Db ratings against your suppressors?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    According to Bill at NFATalk, the typical person percieves little if any difference between two sounds within 5 - 6 dB. This was quite evident yesterday, as we could tell little difference between the two suppressors at 3 feet. At 25 feet there is no difference at all.

You could definately tell a difference between the Mite and the Guardian. The Mite was ~ 9-10 dB higher on the meter.

I think metering is interesting at a geek level, but I put little stock into metered numbers from a practical standpoint. I may (or may not) be biased, so take my opinion for what you will. I tend to think of suppressors as hollywood quiet, quiet, loud, and ineffective. To my ear the Guardian and Sparrow are both quiet. To everyone that has listened to them side by side I've never heard anyone say one is percieved louder than the other. There are so many other factors (cost, cool, size, weight, etc.) that come into play when kodeciding which suppressor to buy that today's metered results really don't mean much. As Bill told me yesterday, a can that meters in first place today will meter in third tomorrow, sometimes for no apparent reason.

The tests on June 11 put the Guardian in the 124 dB range firing GemTech's new subsonic ammo thru a P22. Yesterday was quite different, with one string on the GSG 1911 ~ 118 firing CCI Standard Velocity ammo. The same test yeilded a result ~ 115 for the Sparrow. Others will have to decide if 3 dB that you can't really perceive is worth $300. To some it will be. To others it won't.

This is the way I look at it. If I understand the rough numbers Bill gave me yesterday, the test we ran put the Sparrow at ~ -40dB and the Guardian at ~ -37dB. The Sparrow MSRPs at $499, the Guardian at $199. That's $12.48 per reduced dB for the Sparrow and $5.38 for the Guardian. Even factoring in the stamp cost the Sparrow costs $17.48 per reduced dB while the Guardian comes in at $10.78. That's 62% more for a suppressor with 3 dB lower sound levels that you can't get ahold of for 14 months, while we have the Guardian in stock and ready to ship today. The other way to look at it is that you are paying $300 for a 3 dB reduction (the cost differential between the Sparrow and the Guardian).

I am excited to offer a suppressor with the capabilities of the Guardian at the price we can offer them for, and thank the hundreds of customers that have purchased the Guardian that agree with us. I am thankful that Bill took most of his day to work with us to understand the sound reduction of our suppressor, and look forward to utilizing his expertise in the future to develop the best suppressor we can at the best price on the market.

Thanks for the explanation. After reading your answer, I remember what I was told. For every 10db increase it doubles the perceived volume increase. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Don't take me wrong. I would purchase one just because it is local to me. I love supporting local business.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Why don't they just figure the cost of paperwork into their price... since paperwork is part of the job?!?!? Except that they want to advertise a really good price and then nick you on the added fees when you walk in the door. Poor, IMO!

That may just be referring to the $200 you have to pay the BATFE for the tax stamp when you send in the paperwork and possibly fingerprinting fees if any.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Thanks for the explanation. After reading your answer, I remember what I was told. For every 10db increase it doubles the perceived volume increase. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Don't take me wrong. I would purchase one just because it is local to me. I love supporting local business.

I'm not a sound expert, but my understanding is it's something like that.

I wasn't being defensive. Just pointing out that IMHO, dB level is just one component of the purchase decision, and a minor one at that (again IMHO).

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    How's your SBD working out ATM?

pew pew pew :wwub:

Love it! I feel very fortunate that my first NFA purchase was:

1. The product of local Hoosier design and manufacture.
    2. An absolutely fantastic bargain.
    3. Coupled with great customer service.

Thanks for everything and keep up the great work! :patriot:

(I'd already have pics up elsewhere but my camera died.)

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Weren't you guys (Huntertown Arms) going to produce a barrel with an integral suppressor?
    My question would be if you could make one for a gsg5 that wouldn't require a SBR and a tax stamp for a suppressor. Say an integral with a 16 inch overall length. Would that make it a one stamp item?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Weren't you guys (Huntertown Arms) going to produce a barrel with an integral suppressor?

My question would be if you could make one for a gsg5 that wouldn't require a SBR and a tax stamp for a suppressor. Say an integral with a 16 inch overall length. Would that make it a one stamp item?

Yep. It's announced. We're working out the details (sourcing barrels, etc) now and will have an idea in the next week or so as to a release date.

Sick quiet. Was in the low to mid teens when we metered it. Will be a fantastic bargin at a sub $400 MSRP.

As far as the GSG5, we've got some ideas that will make it a single-stamp rifle. Need to get about 10 other things off our plate first.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I picked up my Huntertown Arms SBD suppressor Friday & have shot the hell out of it all weekend:rockwoot::rockwoot: I am very pleased with it so far.. Very quiet. I have land where i can shoot a looooooooong way & when you dont here the bullet hit the backstop its stupid quiet.:yesway:

Top Bottom