• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    When I go fishing, I'm not real specific on what I'm going after. I'll catch blue gill, sunfish, perch, bass and so on. If they are decent size, they go in the pan when I get home, if not, they go back in the lake. So, fishing is kind of a "target of opportunity" type thing. If it bites the hook, it has a chance of going home.

Being new to hunting (went for the first time yesterday; saw about half a dozen deer, nothing in a shootable situation, but I had a great time none-the-less), I have a similar question. When deer hunting, will you take a shot at other game that is in season to take home to the freezer?

D

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    When I go fishing, I'm not real specific on what I'm going after. I'll catch blue gill, sunfish, perch, bass and so on. If they are decent size, they go in the pan when I get home, if not, they go back in the lake. So, fishing is kind of a "target of opportunity" type thing. If it bites the hook, it has a chance of going home.

Being new to hunting (went for the first time yesterday; saw about half a dozen deer, nothing in a shootable situation, but I had a great time none-the-less), I have a similar question. When deer hunting, will you take a shot at other game that is in season to take home to the freezer?

D

Not me. Not during deer season - stay focused, man! :):

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    During bow season if I have a turkey step into my path while in season, yes I will take it. If I am on stand at anytime and have a coyote cross my path, though not for the freezer, I will take it. Other than those two examples the answer is ...... no

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    When small game hunting, I'm all about the mixed bag. Bluegill, sunfish, perch and bass are small game fishing.

When I'm big game hunting, just as when I'm big game fishing (marlin, tuna, etc...) it's a focus on that species.

There really is no difference between hunting and fishing in this regards - we are just comparing big game hunting to small game fishing which is not an apples to apples comparison.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    When small game hunting, I'm all about the mixed bag. Bluegill, sunfish, perch and bass are small game fishing.

When I'm big game hunting, just as when I'm big game fishing (marlin, tuna, etc...) it's a focus on that species.

There really is no difference between hunting and fishing in this regards - we are just comparing big game hunting to small game fishing which is not an apples to apples comparison.

I hadn't thought about it that way, but I like the concept.

D

GM_Geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    I stay focused on deer when deer hunting but I have noticed the best way to see alot of squirrels is from a deer stand. The closest I ever had a deer to me (while on the ground) was when I was squirrel hunting. Just one if those things.

Sterling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Jamestown, IN
    I'm targeted when doing both. In fact, I'll bet you're more targeted than you realize. Each type of fishing and hunting take special techniques and equipment. For instance, I'll bet you catch more bass than bluegill when you use a 1/2 oz. spinner bait. Do a little prep AMD you'll be surprised at your increased success and fun!

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    During bow season if I have a turkey step into my path while in season, yes I will take it. If I am on stand at anytime and have a coyote cross my path, though not for the freezer, I will take it. Other than those two examples the answer is ...... no

Same for me Glad that you went out and liked it. There is something special about the spirit of the woods. Good luck.

Top Bottom