• ...and so much more!
  • ZenMaster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Good morning folks,

I'm interested in getting started hunting. I'd like to eventually hunt and eat some big game. I want to use a rifle.

I have some experience with guns, a little less experience with outdoors/camping/hiking/etc type stuff, and zero experience hunting.

I'm wondering where and how to start.

Can anyone - or everyone! - share any info, resources on how to get started hunting?

Thank you, in advance, for your effort, info, and wisdom :)

-Zen Master

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    As stated above, the DNR class is your first step. Depending on your date of birth it may be required anyway. After that, the best thing you can do is find an experienced hunter to take you under their wing. Traditionally this is was as easy as asking your: Dad, uncle, grandfather, father in law, etc.. But sadly in today's culture that isn't always possible. It may take a little work to find someone to mentor you, but this is where skills are taught.

ZenMaster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've heard of this DNR class before, I'll definitely look it up. I know a few guys who hunt, I'll contact them.

Is it common for hunters to "take others under their wing"? Would it be cool for a novice to tag along on a hunt? To me, it seems like that would be a great way to get some experience and learn some things. Although, I just dont know how the hunting culture works - so maybe experienced hunters dont want rookies hanging around and whatnot.

It seems like I should start with smaller game - rabbits then deer then elk, for example (or something similar). Is that the case? Or would it be reasonable for a novice start with, say, a deer hunt?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I would add do NOT take the course on line. Go.

Squirrel season is in for a while, you could start there. Shotgun for success, .22LR for skill. Use the rules learned in the DNR class.

ZenMaster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Thank you, JJ.

Would a .22 lr take a rabbit?

I will eat whatever I shoot, so, I dont know...seems like a shotgun wouldn't leave much squirrel (or rabbit) left to eat. Is that true or am I thinking inaccurately?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    First time I ever went hunting I was 15-ish with my great-uncle on a deer hunt. He is an avid hunter and took me out with him. There were 2 stands in the same tree. He sat in one, I was in the other. I killed my first deer that trip. I went out with him the next year or 2 after that as well, but we didn't share a tree. He was on one side of the property, I was on the other. We checked in at scheduled times when we would leave to go to lunch or something. Since then I hunt on my own, but occasionally my cousin will come out and help me drag it out or something if I got one.

It is definitely "OK" to go out with someone else and learn from them. A lot of people, at least the people I know, would enjoy passing on the knowledge and 'tricks' they have picked up along the way. That is also a good way to get an 'in' on some property to hunt if you don't have your own.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Definitely take the hunter safety course. Finding someone to learn from would be great if possible. Contact a couple of your friends and ask to tag along. Go without a gun even. Just ask them what they think you should wear (will vary depending on what game you might be hunting) and show up and watch what they do. I was lucky enough to learn from my dad and his friends growing up. I went hunting with my air rifle when I was little, then graduated to a shotgun after a couple years of growing up. Went deer hunting with them for 2-3 years with no weapon, just sit and watched. Sometimes I sat by myself and sometimes I sat in the same stand. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same for my boys in a few years.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Start with a camera. Find a place with animals (rabbits, squirrels, etc.) and go out with your camera.

Learn to walk slowly. One step, pause, look, listen. Next step. Pause. Learn to walk quietly.

Find a spot to sit. Then sit there, as still as you can, make no noise. Keep your eyes scanning around, keep your ears open for sounds. Try to get as many pictures of animals as you can.

Learn to lift the camera to your eye slowly. Be very slow and deliberate in your movement.

Then do it again and again and again. In all kinds of weather (windy, raining, snowing, hot, cold...)

When you've got that part figured out, then take a hunter safety class.

I've found the hardest part about hunting is enduring the hours and hours of being silent, motionless, and cold, only to go home empty handed.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I like the camera idea. It'll get you used to lifting it slow like you would a gun on an animal. It'll also get you in the woods scouting areas.

As far as getting a mentor, good luck. Ask the people you know. Hunters are pretty secretive about their spots so finding a stranger to take you is like winning the lotto if it involves private ground.

I'll say this, the number 1 thing not to do ettiqute wise is walk thru another hunters area while he is hunting. Nothing makes me more mad than inconsiderate sloppy hunters.

Another thing....wear orange. Lots of it if going on state ground.

Please don't go scouting during gun deer season...way too dangerous.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I certainly understand this, but how does one know if someone else is hunting in any particular area?

Vehicles parked on the side of the road near the trail, fresh human tracks on the trail.
    On state ground sometimes you will run into people even though there's no vehicles. Just keep your head on a swivel, remember to look up since ppl use tree stands also, and if you see another hunter, wave, turn around, and go find a different spot. Even "walking around" his area is gonna blow all wildlife into the next county.

Almost forgot. ..welcome to ingo

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    +1 on the class. Hiking, lots of hiking, eagle creek is a great place to go and you're never to far out if you screw up your too deep in it.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    +1 to go for a hike with the intention of seeing game, +1 Eagle Creek for that, based on your location. ++1 DNR class, I have been through it 3 times, me and two sons. Go to public land before or after deer firearm season, obvious reasons. Shotgun with #6 shot will not damage squirrel meat, hell might not even kill 1st shot, depends. 22lr is better if you have the skill. Rabbit hunting, stalk with 22lr OK, or jump shoot/use beagles shot gun with 7,6,5 shot is best.

Most important get out the house and GO, with a friend is best but if not be safe and GO hunting.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Thank you, JJ.

Would a .22 lr take a rabbit?

I will eat whatever I shoot, so, I dont know...seems like a shotgun wouldn't leave much squirrel (or rabbit) left to eat. Is that true or am I thinking inaccurately?

.22 for squirrel is for head shots or front shoulder. The head loses no meat, front shoulder only loses the front legs and there's not much meat on them anyway. Here's a pretty decent video on skinning and prepping a squirrel for supper:

[video=youtube;4c8OyexZ10E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4c8OyexZ10E[/video]

That is the point, right? We're going to eat what we kill. It's pursuit, fulfilling an inner desire to be what we are - predators - and bring home our own meat.

Rabbit season comes in Monday. Usually those are taken with a shotgun as they are usually on the run, however my dad and I hunted with .22 for rabbit - nothing wrong with that just a little more challenging.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    There is a lot to know regarding regulations and seasons for game: General Regulations | Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide | eRegulations.com

That's why I recommend taking the hunter education course before you try to take any game. Learning stalking using a camera and spending as much time in the field as possible is good advise. If you're unsure what's in season and if anyone is in the area, for safety sake wear a hunter orange vest, hat or both. These are cheap, available at most sports retailers and the dreaded Wal-Mart.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Start with a camera. Find a place with animals (rabbits, squirrels, etc.) and go out with your camera.

Learn to walk slowly. One step, pause, look, listen. Next step. Pause. Learn to walk quietly.

Find a spot to sit. Then sit there, as still as you can, make no noise. Keep your eyes scanning around, keep your ears open for sounds. Try to get as many pictures of animals as you can.

Learn to lift the camera to your eye slowly. Be very slow and deliberate in your movement.

Then do it again and again and again. In all kinds of weather (windy, raining, snowing, hot, cold...)

When you've got that part figured out, then take a hunter safety class.

I've found the hardest part about hunting is enduring the hours and hours of being silent, motionless, and cold, only to go home empty handed.
    Or he could just read the regs and go hunting. Sheesh. He'll learn quickly enough that you cant go tromping around in the woods coughing and talking to yourself if you wanna have success. Animals are in survival mode 24/7. They are really good at keeping themselves alive.
    Best advice for the OP; read the hunting regulations so you are legal, get the wind in your face ( for deer)and be sure you are capable of hitting what you are aiming at ( know your effective range). Then go.

back40hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Finding a mentor is critical. Ask around, I bet you will find a n outdoorsman in your area willing to help you out. Good luck, and be SAFE.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Or he could just read the regs and go hunting. Sheesh. He'll learn quickly enough that you cant go tromping around in the woods coughing and talking to yourself if you wanna have success. Animals are in survival mode 24/7. They are really good at keeping themselves alive.
    Best advice for the OP; read the hunting regulations so you are legal, get the wind in your face ( for deer)and be sure you are capable of hitting what you are aiming at ( know your effective range). Then go.
    Completely disagree... There's more to hunting than just knowing how to read, knowing how to shoot, and knowing how to be quiet.

Top Bottom