• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    My 12 year old son got drawn for the youth hunt at Big Oaks this Saturday. Wondering if anyone had any advice on where to go there. Any recommended areas? Any to avoid? Long drive down there, but looking forward to the day together in the field.

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Never hunted it but hope you have a blast with your son! Rep inbound for introducing another young hunter to the woods! (Dont know if its his first year but oh well) :D

longshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Fishers
    I've hunted big oaks a couple of times and have had some pretty good luck up on the north end, area 6 in particular. There is some great river bottom ground up there, along with plenty of natural funnels and draws for the deer to use. The biggest down fall to hunting up there is the drive. It takes 30-40 minutes to drive from the check in station to those areas. Best of luck to you and your son. Big Oaks is an amazing piece of property.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    I always liked the areas in the middle, I think it is like 39-44 areas. My BIL took a nice 8 pointer from there the last time I went. Shame I don't go more being local an all but work is a bear and I really can't get a hunting partner so I don't even try anymore.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I havent had the chance to hunt Big Oaks but I will make a few suggestions to public land hunting. When I hunt public land I have found that going as far from everyone else as possible is the best. I try to hunt areas that are hard to get to. Many people will not hunt these areas due to the fact that it takes a lot of effort to get to them. I know when I have hunted large areas of public land, such as hoosier national or jackson washington, I try and hunt way in and away from everyone. My best luck on public land happened about two years ago on the gun opener. A friend of mine and I hiked a few miles in, and started the hike at about 2 in the morning. We got set up at about 630 and it worked great. I shot a really nice 10 point and my buddy shot a great 8. Both of the deer seemed as though they didnt care to move out of that area due to the amount of people. We got in early enough and caught them both off guard. Out of the group of 10 guys we were the only ones to try this plan and we are also the only ones that got deer. The deer know whats up and sometimes it takes extra effort to get them. Best of luck this weekend and let us know how you do.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    We showed up the morning of the hunt, and had to go through the briefing. So everyone was already picked areas and out that had done it the night before. We just couldn't make it down Friday night.

My logic may be flawed, but I picked an area that didn't have a lot of hunters in it (could see how many cards were in each slot when we got up to pick). And it also wasn't too far to drive. Think it was area 42.

Still dark when we got there. Drove around the area. Creek run down the east side of the area, with forbidden zone to the east. We parked, and walked down the road and was gonna drop into that creek bottom.

It was thicker than..............well, it was thick. We went back up the road, and got into a hardwood stand that wasn't too bad. Got about 100 yds or so off the road and sat to wait for light so we could decide what to do.

Sat there til just after 10:00, then started sneaking further in. Ran across another group hunting, and talked with them. A little further in and finally found some sign - rubs, tracks. Found a nice little place to sit, and did so for a while. Had some lunch.

Decided to further, and it just got too thick. So we dropped back down toward the creek. Opened up nice ruther in, with more sign, and we sat up. Hadn't been there too long, and heard something across the creek. Got the binos up and watched a doe and buck go up over the hill. Grunted, but didn't bring him back.

We sat there until mid afternoon, and worked our way out. My 12 yr old son did an awesome job staying out all day, handling the gun, not complaining. Was a good day. Saw 4 does and 9 turkeys on the drive back out.

To add to the excitement, I managed to get a flat tire and got to change it in a McD's parking lot north of there a ways.

Top Bottom