• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    https://www.russellmoccasin.com/

Best boots on the planet. Custom hand made in the USA.

If you're coyote hunting there is nothing that will keep you really warm while on a set and also offer the support for walking plowed fields. Going to have to be a compromise IMO.

I have a pair of the premium bird hunters. I just got them back from being resoled this summer. I had a smoother sole that is designed not to pick up mud in those same plowed fields but climbing in and out of ditches while bird hunting they didn't work for me. went with a more aggressive sole and I think they'll work great.

I got triple vamp, weather tuff leather and they are as waterproof as any boots I have ever worn, except for rubber boots. But rubber is too sweaty and then get's cold. I did not add any thinsulate because I simply wear good wool socks and am walking all the time. But if I were sitting for longer periods I would do the 400 thinsulate in the soles and boot and never look back.

Will last as long as you do. Mine are 10 years old and look like new. I'm 56 and know these are my last pair.

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    I Go with Danners with Gortex and Thinsulate. It gets really wet here so I need a boot I can depend on. Here is something very important to consider with Danner or any other boot for that matter. Danner has more than just different sizes and widths they also have different last. I ware the 650 last but many of there other Last are are 850s which are more like an athletic fit . This is to fit different foot shapes. If you get the wrong one it will hurt your foot. If you get the right one it may be the most comfortable boot you ever wore at least that is the way it is with me.

Last edited:

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'll toss in another vote for Mendl boots. They've kept my feet very toasty, and are very comfortable for walking a lot. I put a lot of miles on my last year on an elk hunt in Colorado and didn't have a single issue with my feet.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Danner insulated. I have the Acadia in Desert, Regular, 200 gr Thinsulate, And 400gr thinsulate. It has rarely been cold enough to make use of the 400g pair, in any but the coldest days my feet are hot.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Regardless of the boot that you wear, good socks can make the difference in wet/cold weather.

The best thing I've ever done was to get some good quality wool socks of different thicknesses. I can't believe how many years I spent with cold feet out deer hunting with cotton socks.

You can wear the best boots money can buy, and if you have poor socks, your feet will still be cold, and you can wear cheap boots with good wool or wool/blend socks and stay worlds warmer.

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    Agreed I forgot to mention wool socks. Very big plus. All this talk has got me jonesing for Elk season. I hope we get snow and not rain. Super cold though. So after 30 years of hunting I know the importance of staying warm. Hopefully more snow than last year.

20171118_143825.jpg

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Regardless of the boot that you wear, good socks can make the difference in wet/cold weather.

The best thing I've ever done was to get some good quality wool socks of different thicknesses. I can't believe how many years I spent with cold feet out deer hunting with cotton socks.

You can wear the best boots money can buy, and if you have poor socks, your feet will still be cold, and you can wear cheap boots with good wool or wool/blend socks and stay worlds warmer.

True to a certain extent. If you try to compensate for cheap boots with a bunch of thick wool socks, you'll end up reducing circulation to your feet and getting cold anyway and in truly frigid conditions, there is no substitute for quality boots and socks if you plan to be stationary for long periods of time.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    LaCrosse Alpha Burleys most of the time.

My cold weather boots are still LaCrosse Alpha Burleys only a size bigger. If you cant wiggle y
    our toes freely your feet will get cold sooner or later.

Polypropolene sock liners and good wool socks.

Extreme cold I pack in the Boot Blankets

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    LaCrosse Alpha Burleys most of the time.

My cold weather boots are still LaCrosse Alpha Burleys only a size bigger. If you cant wiggle y
    our toes freely your feet will get cold sooner or later.

Polypropolene sock liners and good wool socks.

Extreme cold I pack in the Boot Blankets

It is hard to beat Alpha Burleys for warm, durable rubber boots. They are available up to size 15 too which is helpful for sizing up.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've tried muck boots, and they just never quite fit my feet just right. I think they're loved or hated primarily on their fit. If they fit you're home free because I don't think I've ever read of the boots not working well. Just didn't work out for me.

I had a pair of rocky's and I bought them based on the thinsulate rating. I figured the bigger the number the warmer my feet would be. I still remember my feet getting so cold I was desperately holding a lighter inside the boot to warm it up because I could barely feel my feet. I no longer really care what the thinsulate value on sales brochures say.

I made the switch to Sorels based on the recommendation of a friend who really geeks out on gear and buys quality stuff. He's loves studying gear and he's got plenty of experience but he still had to convince me that the 400g thinsulate boot would be warmer than my old rookies. These boots are hands down my go to boots and when I know I'm going to be outside in silly frigid weather I don't even consider anything else other than these. I can't recommend these enough if you want warm feet.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQM2W2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For socks, if you're not wearing some kind of wool you're wrong. I use darn tough socks for hiking, and for the winter boots I mentioned above, I love these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FAVYALO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have never found a good pair of boots I like. Deer hunt about 30days a season. Used to buy redheads from bass pro. 3 years ago I bought Danner Vitals, no insulation, plain brown to wear out and about. I was so impressed I bought Danner Vital, 800 mg, camo for hunting. I will swear by them. My brown ones started to leak going across a grass field during turkey season. Called Danner, told them what happened. They sent me a replacement pair out immediately. They have a dry plus warranty. I am a Danner customer for life.. And they are made in the USA... Oregon

Top Bottom