• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themrdo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I have a couple of buddies who have talked about going hunting, At some point in the future. The problem is none of us have any experience doing anything of the sort.
    Is there anyone who would help out some Millennials out?

Thank you

themrdo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2023
    Indianapolis
    We've talked about hunting deer. I'm not sure what else you could hunt in Indiana other than turkey and rabbit. We're Big all big time beginners on the subject.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You should start mushroom hunting, right now. Mushroom hunters are often deer hunters. Get out in the woods. You will see what I mean.

Similarly, other outdoors activity like fishing, then later squirrel hunting, puts you out in the 'hood with the deer and plenty of hunters that know the lay of the land along with the ins and outs.

Start planing your recon trips to public ground in every direction. But don't wait, get out there now.

Oh, and book into a DNR hunters safety class ASAP. You must have the certification to hunt in Indiana. Same deal, the sooner the better. You are gonna be handling firearms. We ALL need to know we ALL are safe in the woods.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You should start mushroom hunting, right now. Mushroom hunters are often deer hunters. Get out in the woods. You will see what I mean.

Similarly, other outdoors activity like fishing, then later squirrel hunting, puts you out in the 'hood with the deer and plenty of hunters that know the lay of the land along with the ins and outs.

Start planing your recon trips to public ground in every direction. But don't wait, get out there now.
    I went mushroom hunting once. Sat in my stand all day and didn't see a single one!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I went mushroom hunting once. Sat in my stand all day and didn't see a single one!
    Um, you're doing it wrong.

Everyone knows you hunt mushrooms from the ground. You cant see them from the tree stand!

But like you, I sat at the base of a tree for hours multiple days with no luck either.

themrdo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Quite a bit more than I expected. I'm kind of shocked that vullfrog and turtle

Oh, and book into a DNR hunters safety class ASAP. You must have the certification to hunt in Indiana. Same deal, the sooner the better. You are gonna be handling firearms. We ALL need to know we ALL are safe in the woods.
    I wasn't aware it was a DNR course requirement, I figured you just had to pay for the license and you were good to go. It makes a lot a sense. And will probably have plenty of good information for us.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Quite a bit more than I expected. I'm kind of shocked that vullfrog and turtle

I wasn't aware it was a DNR course requirement, I figured you just had to pay for the license and you were good to go. It makes a lot a sense. And will probably have plenty of good information for us.
    Good to know. I wasn't aware of that either.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I didn't know this. I did my hunter's safety course in Ohio about 40 years ago. Indiana has never asked to see proof.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    You can or at least at one time could do the hunter safety course online. It’s kind of broad. Ie I don’t use a muzzleloader but I had to learn about them to pass the test. Like most tests I’ve forgotten most things that don’t pertain to me.

if you have time I’d try joining a conservation club that has a range and make friends there. Pickup bits of knowledge and hopefully make friends with someone who has experience. As others have pointed out start small, learn to cut open an animal, eat a squirrel. You’re kind of on your own unless you start out paying a guide. People say they want new hunters and anglers but when it comes to brass tacks they don’t want to show off “their spots”. Hunting is big business. I have a buddy whose grandfather has two farms 1 in Indiana and another in Michigan both 1000 acres+. Not sure how many acres of woods on the property but his grandfather leases them out for $1500 (back in 09 so prices probably went up). My buddies grandfather wouldn’t even let his own grandson go out and target practice like 2 months before deer season. Speaking of which if you have relatives that live out in the country ask them if they know of anyone with land. I constantly pester my grandmother to ask her relatives if they have a friend with a farm. It’s always a long shot but you never know. Some great aunt and uncle may be good friends from church with a farmer that would let you hunt yotes at first and maybe that’ll turn into deer. I recently just got permission to hunt morels on a local farm that I hope will turn into possibly deer even though I have my own land but it’s not very big. Having lots of options is always good.

If you get permission to hunt private land always be sure to ask to help out, send holiday cards, etc.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have a couple of buddies who have talked about going hunting, At some point in the future. The problem is none of us have any experience doing anything of the sort.
    Is there anyone who would help out some Millennials out?

Thank you
    Get your hunter safety card and send me a PM. The class was worth taking when I took my boys. DNR officers will have a ton of entertaining stories. I'll volunteer to teach one at a time to hunt,clean, and eat squirrels. If you prove to be good humans, it may go further.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Get your hunter safety card and send me a PM. The class was worth taking when I took my boys. DNR officers will have a ton of entertaining stories. I'll volunteer to teach one at a time to hunt,clean, and eat squirrels. If you prove to be good humans, it may go further.
    Kudos to you patience…. You are one of an almost extinct group. These guys should thank their lucky stars you made a rare and valuable offer.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Kudos to you patience…. You are one of an almost extinct group. These guys should thank their lucky stars you made a rare and valuable offer.
    OP ......Your "Site Supporter " status is already paying off .
    Agreed , opportunities such as this is seldom seen today .

Top Bottom