• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    Can someone enlighten me to the benefits to hunting with a suppressor? Everytime I have hunted deer with a firearm it was one shot and the deer fell dead shortly there after. I can't imagine putting a silencer on a Turkey, or duck gun. Perhaps I'm dull but having trouble seeing the need.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Can someone enlighten me to the benefits to hunting with a suppressor? Everytime I have hunted deer with a firearm it was one shot and the deer fell dead shortly there after. I can't imagine putting a silencer on a Turkey, or duck gun. Perhaps I'm dull but having trouble seeing the need.

The most obvious is Hearing protection for you, people hunting with you, and people living near hunting areas.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    From what I understand from my research on this, SB243 missed the deadline to go into the House. The text was added to HB 1279. Due to new rules adopted by the House of Representatives for this legislative session, if a bill does not get a hearing in a House committee, it cannot be accepted into another House bill. So the SB243 text was removed and this is essentially dead for this session.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Per Indiana Hunting & Trappings Regulations, It is illegal to posses a silencer while hunting, reference Page 2, bottom of the left column, this link: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2011-12_Hunting_Trapping_Guide.pdf

Also, per the Indiana DNR Upland and Small game guide, Page 6, left column near bottom of page ( http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-upland_smallgame_guide.pdf )
    Silencers [FONT=Helvetica LT Std Light,Helvetica LT Std Light][FONT=Helvetica LT Std Light,Helvetica LT Std Light]It is illegal to possess a silencer while hunting. [/FONT][/FONT]

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Per Indiana Hunting & Trappings Regulations, It is illegal to posses a silencer while hunting, reference Page 2, bottom of the left column, this link: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2011-12_Hunting_Trapping_Guide.pdf

Also, per the Indiana DNR Upland and Small game guide, Page 6, left column near bottom of page ( http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-upland_smallgame_guide.pdf )
    Silencers [FONT=Helvetica LT Std Light,Helvetica LT Std Light][FONT=Helvetica LT Std Light,Helvetica LT Std Light]It is illegal to possess a silencer while hunting. [/FONT][/FONT]

SB243 was a bill that would change this. It did not pass.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    We were screwed by the house majority leader. He thought Indiana would be thought of as crazy, idiot. Anyways, we will try again this year with a different strategy.

Oppugnall

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd be interested in what these strategies are.. Besides writing our rep, what can be done to see that this happens in coming session. I seen Arizona passed law ok-ing silencers on another forum, also removing 5 round clip maximum. So there is hope.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I sent e-mails recently to the author and co-authors of the failed bill, and received positive responses back. This bill will be reintroduced this year. Over half of the states allow suppressors for hunting now, so there's no reason not to join them.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    They wrote a loophole into this IC?!?!?!?

1. Trapping is not considered hunting.
    2. Only "wild animals" can't be "taken" with a suppressor.
    3. Trap the animal, tame it, shoot it with your suppressed whatever.

This is only in purple because I don't think it's feasable, but...... Per the IC you should contact a lawyer who will tell you not to do it.

Ind. Code § 14-22-6-11 : Indiana Code - Section 14-22-6-11: Silencers prohibited

(a) This section does not apply to an employee of the department or an employee of a federal wildlife management agency who:
    (1) is acting in the performance of the employee's duties; and
    (2) has received the express written consent of the director for the employee's action.
    (b) A person may not:
    (1) use or possess an apparatus designed for use with or on a firearm commonly called a silencer; or
    (2) use or possess a device used as a silencer;
    in Indiana while in the act of hunting.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.15. Amended by P.L.13-2007, SEC.2.

IC 14-8-2
    Chapter 2. Definitions

IC 14-8-2-39
    "Chase"
    Sec. 39. "Chase", for purposes of IC 14-22, means following wildlife without the intent to take.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.1.

IC 14-8-2-128
    "Hunt"
    Sec. 128. "Hunt", for purposes of IC 14-22, means to take a wild animal except by trapping.

IC 14-8-2-278
    "Take"
    Sec. 278. "Take" has the following meaning:
    (1) For purposes of IC 14-22, except as provided in subdivision (2):
    (A) to kill, shoot, spear, gig, catch, trap, harm, harass, or pursue a wild animal; or
    (B) to attempt to engage in such conduct.
    (2) For purposes of IC 14-22-34, the meaning set forth in IC 14-22-34-5.

Big Bore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I am surprised to not see any updates on this. It gets heard by the Senate AG and NRC tomorrow, the 18th, and it looks like it is going to pass this time around.
    See this link and contact your state senators and congressmen to help move this into law. It's about darned time!

Yes, I know there is another thread about it but all threads need to keep this alive. Time is running out and we need this bill to pass. My SOCOM and Phantom need to hushed up a little for this fall.

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN

I just checked that hyperlink again and the top section reads this::

Citations Affected: IC 14-22; IC 35-51-14-1.
    Synopsis: Using silencer when hunting. Repeals the law that prohibits the possession or use of a silencer while in the act of hunting. Provides that a person who takes or possesses a deer or wild turkey: (1) unlawfully; (2) by illegal methods; or (3) with illegal devices; while using or possessing a silencer commits a Class C misdemeanor. Makes hunting on private land without the permission of the owner a Class B misdemeanor if the person does so while using or possessing a silencer.
    Effective: July 1, 2013.

Maybe someone can come and clarify further but looks like it's passed... I'm about to do some more research to verify...

Big Bore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The law has not been repealed just yet but it is on the way. It is now out of committee and unless something odd happens or the goof-balls in Indy/Garry/Fort Wayne stack the deck then it will more than likely go through. Keep those letters going out to your state senators and congressmen.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom