• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Knives of Alaska makes a smaller knife I think they call the cub. I've used mine on every deer I've killed in the last 15 yrs. Just the right size. Grip texture and material keep it firmly in hand, even when bloody.

Not sure what the cost is these days, but I think they use two different options for steel now.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I've got a Schrade 125OT as my go to for deer hunting. It is a folder, but I have used it for over 40 years. I use it for both field dressing and skinning. I do carry a custom made, 4" drop point fixed blade, but it rarely comes out of the sheath.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    IMG-20201110-085323048-HDR.jpg

I've had this one over 20 years but I bet they are still under 20 bucks. The tip is a little sharp and I was gonna reshape it some, but I just learned to be careful gutting. The gut hook definitely didn't work good on the one I tried
    +1 for the sharpfinger. Carry one myself, and around this time can be found paired with another knife in a holiday set for sub-$20

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ran a home built kit knife modified for a couple decades. Worked great.
    Did a deer w my CRKT M21 once.
    No prob except w cleanup.
    The JW knife I mentioned is bigger than I like, and the handle straight. Works fine but takes some getting used to ( did a few dozen w a diff knife ).

My next knife will be a Behring drop point w stag grip. Close to 400 bucks.
    I just want one.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My hunting bud runs an old Sharpfinger.
    Drives a newer vehicle than me too.
    Lots of stuff does a good job, but may fit/ feel better to some than others.
    Dunno how adaptable a person can be.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My deer are dressed in under 8 mins w no blood past my wrists. None on clothes.
    No sawing pelvis or ribs. Knife goes along side of sternum easily. And you can pull that other stuff through the pelvis. No need for a saw.

Yet some folks think they need em.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    What exactly do you plan on doing with the knife? I know you said deer hunting, but is that field dressing, or also skinning and processing?

I've used a LOT of knives over the years, and made a few of my own as well. Of all the knives I've used my dad's 4" Buck knife is the absolute best. Great for both field dressing and skinning. Gut hooks on the blade are useless. If you want a gut hook, get one that is a dedicated gut hook. I would recommend something similar to a Wyoming Knife. Add a 4" and 6" fillet knife to cover processing work. I use the generic Rapala's you can get from Walmart.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    So I wanted to try a gut hook for skinning but didn't want to spend the cash until I knew if It was for me.

I went out and got a pack of the shingle hook blades for a utility knife for a couple of deer.

I really liked how easy it made skinning and also reduced the amount of fur left on the meat.

Once I knew I liked using the gut hook for skinning I went out and got one of these because I didn't want to change my skinning knife out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WZXHB52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After receiving it I took and angle grinder and removed the glass breaker from the front.

It comes with its own case that I just throw in the bag....Keep in mind I use this during the gutting process but it makes skinning WAY EASIER!!!

You just run it down the center and out the legs like a zipper!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Every year I take a couple options with me just to play with as I'm a knife nerd to an extent. I only field dress my deer and then I take it to a butcher for them to do all the smart work. I also do a bad hack job, and get blood up to my elbows, then usually when loading the deer in a truck or hitch hauler basket I usually get some on me there too. I'm a hack at field dressing deer, there's no getting around it.

The last two years the knife I've found myself gravitating to is an Esee Izulla II. I think it's just the right size with slicing around inside the chest cavity. The standard knife & sheath can be found in the $60 - $70 range and I know that's more than you wanted to spend, but I don't think you'd regret it one bit. Check facebook groups and you can find deals on mint condition knives that guys are trying to offload. I like a Mora knife, but I've never used one on deer. Next year a "mora light my fire knife" will get put in the rotation to see how I like that.

Top Bottom