• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deaddogwalkin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I am thinking of leasing a tract of land in southeastern Indiana. Does anyone have any ideas of what it would be worth per acre, amount of days commonly leased, or a well liked middleman company? It is 240 continuous acres, mostly hardwood (oak), some brush, and a few small open grass areas. Has a little hunting cabin on it with electric and water. Any thoughts are welcome, thanks in advance!

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    I have seen some very silly prices for Hunting Leases around here. A lot would depend on what county?, does the area have potential for nice sized deer? anyone else on the lease other than your group? and how much is the owner asking?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Property tax equivalent usually works well for both parties, as a generic rule of thumb. This will vary depending on availability of other hunting land and trophy potential.

Deaddogwalkin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    SE Indiana
    Sorry for the deception, but I own the land and am thinking about leasing it to someone. There have been 160+ bucks on camera regularly but there hasn't been very much hunting pressure to push them out either.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My group leases 230 acres for $1,200/year, which is the cost for taxes. That is all the owner wanted.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Being from SE Indiana myself I know how hard it is to find land to hunt and at 240 acres you should be able to get a very good price. You might try and post the lease advertisement over in Ohio. Those Buckeyes love to come across the border to SE Indiana and hunt.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Personally if I were in your shoes and had property I was considering leasing, how much I could get would not be priority #1. My first concern would be making sure I found a hunter or group of hunters that is responsible and respectable. You don't want a group of hunters that don't give a dang about your property or any rules you may have, simple things like closing gates and such.

Now to answer your questions. I've never leased property so I don't have any clue what it rents for an acre. I've heard between $10-$20 in my area. Of the few people I know leasing hunting rights they don't lease a weekend or just one season. They lease the hunting rights for the entire year for all hunting seasons so they can hunt year round whatever is in season. The lease typically runs yearly with the hunting/fishing liscense date. Since you have a small cabin it sounds like your willing to let a hunter use, it probably worth a bit more as they have a place to stay when they come hunt (again, you want someone that going to cherish and care for your property like you would).

I'm not aware of any 3rd party companies that handle hunting leases. I think most people just handle it on their own. Like others have said, if you list it here I am sure you will have several hunters interested.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I get hit up a lot for leads or connections to good ground in Indiana. There are plenty of serious hunters in Northern Wisconsin and the glory years are over up here.

I would not lease it out for less then 20-30 per acre, cabin or not. No reason to go cheap, a couple guys can easily afford that. I have paid it myself. I can pass your contact info to a guy I know if you like.

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    I'd go high, especially with the cabin in play. First of all I'm sure your PM box is over-flowing with people looking to get a deal, but it's not about them. I believe you look it as a business. Look into L.L.C. or a farm business of some type. The liability is an issue you'll have to get covered prior to the first hunter stepping foot on your land. Your cabin will need covered too. Really look into this and protect yourself. I'd imagine for every positive story there a not so positive story about leased hunting land.

Dunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2015
    Southern indiana
    If you need assistance you should check out Base Camp leasing. They can be very helpful in getting you started. They are a business so there are fees involved.

Top Bottom