• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I just moved down from Michigan, got my new Indiana DL. But my question is do I have to take a hunters safety class in Indiana to get a hunting license? I have been a licensed hunter in Michigan for 12 years.

Thanks.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I just moved down from Michigan, got my new Indiana DL. But my question is do I have to take a hunters safety class in Indiana to get a hunting license? I have been a licensed hunter in Michigan for 12 years.

Thanks.

Answer is no on any private land (unless the landowner requires it), and most public land. If you want to hunt in one of the State Park reduction hunts then yes you do need to have taken a hunters education course. I've never hunted on any military property so I can't say what the requirements are there.

BTW, welcome to Indiana!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    ^ What he said. The only time I have to show my Hunter's Safety card is on "draw" hunts, like at Camp Atterbury, or Brown County State Park. You should not need it for any hunt, unless you must sign up for that hunt, and then the requirement would be explained to you specifically in writing.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    Answer is no on any private land, and most public land. If you want to hunt in one of the State Park reduction hunts then yes you do need to have taken a hunters education course. I've never hunted on any military property so I can't say what the requirements are there.

BTW, welcome to Indiana!

I thought it was only required if you were born after DEC 1986? Maybe I'm wrong.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    I thought it was only required if you were born after DEC 1986? Maybe I'm wrong.

You may be right on this. If you were born AFTER 1986 then you do have to complete a hunters education course. You jogged my memory, my son had to take and pass the course to obtain a hunting license. everyone that hunts in the state parks is required to have taken the course though. Used to be hunters who had completed the course were chosen first.

I stand corrected, thanks!:yesway:

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Well that sucks. I have been a licensed hunter for 12 years, since I was 12. And now I have to take a class. I was born in 1988. Well it looks like im finding a class before Turkey season.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Well that sucks. I have been a licensed hunter for 12 years, since I was 12. And now I have to take a class. I was born in 1988. Well it looks like im finding a class before Turkey season.

Other than the time involved, don't sweat it. Since you have hunted that long I'm going to assume you "know what you're doing". The class and test are rather elementary in nature. I personally watched several kids nod off during the course my son took and they still passed.

For anyone to believe that a total novice could complete and pass the course and be an educated hunter is laughable IMO. It's more of a formality, again IMO.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I thought you only had to take the course if you were under 18, and wanted to hunt. I was wrong. Thise born after Dec 31, 1986 cannot get a hunting license without it.

my.Hunter-Ed.com: Get Your Hunting Certification with the Indiana Course

Like we already stated though, all draw hunts require everyone applying to have the HS card. It used to not be required for these special hunts.

Thanks for the link. I am just going to crack a bud light, continue to watch the Tigers and keep clicking next until I am at the end of the class.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    You can take the test online and it is very easy even if you do not read all the material prior to taking the test. A lot of it seemed like common "hunter" sense.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county

well you haven't been been hunting in Indiana so the law says yes you must take hunters ed unless you have proof you had the course in MIch.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    take the class you will learn something , I always do

I've taken it many times over the years with my kids and neighbor kids and such

not 100% sure but there maybe a time limit as far as how long you need to live in Indiana to be considered a resident

You better check the laws and regs yourself on the Indiana Deaprtment of Natural Resources web site

Haymaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Jennings County
    Nice to have the Hunter Ed class under your belt. I took it several years ago along with bowhunter education even though I wasn't required to take either one to obtain a license. Some other states require it also so if you ever think about going out of state to hunt you'd never have to worry about it.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Michigan requires it. So i have taken it. Though after you buy your first license in MI you can toss the class certificate away.

And I am an Indiana resident now. Got a shiny new DL and LTCH to prove it!

Top Bottom