• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I had a bunch of them living under my driveway, they would fly out through the big crack in the expansion joint. Saw lots of cicada shells around. They were pretty aggressive and chased me away from my driveway a couple of times. I went to grab wasp spray and was out, so got a can of spray adhesive. Hit one in the air and his wings glued together. I heard him hit the driveway then the little bastard ran towards me. He met mr. shoe...

That night I poured a quart or two of gasoline down the crack in the driveway. Wife wouldnt let me drop a match... such a killjoy. But it seemed to do the job anyway. :D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I had a bunch of them living under my driveway, they would fly out through the big crack in the expansion joint. Saw lots of cicada shells around. They were pretty aggressive and chased me away from my driveway a couple of times. I went to grab wasp spray and was out, so got a can of spray adhesive. Hit one in the air and his wings glued together. I heard him hit the driveway then the little bastard ran towards me. He met mr. shoe...

That night I poured a quart or two of gasoline down the crack in the driveway. Wife wouldnt let me drop a match... such a killjoy. But it seemed to do the job anyway. :D

We did the gas thing at my brother's house because of a yellow jacket problem he had. There were no wives around. A match was dropped. A light show ensued. A decent sized hole was opened and a lot of dead yellow jackets and one large what I later learned was a cicada killer were observed.

And yes, beer was involved; I'm pretty sure the words "...watch this" were spoken.

:laugh:

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    We did the gas thing at my brother's house because of a yellow jacket problem he had. There were no wives around. A match was dropped. A light show ensued. A decent sized hole was opened and a lot of dead yellow jackets and one large what I later learned was a cicada killer were observed.

And yes, beer was involved; I'm pretty sure the words "...watch this" were spoken.

:laugh:

Awesome. I've seen those things around as well. I've been temped to blow them away with any firearm avaliable. The Gas story is great. I would have have that would need the "Hole my beer". :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't kill the cicada killers!

They're a rather beneficial hymenoptera to have around, actually.

And as said up thread, they are, in general, rather docile. And curious...

But yes, it is unnerving when a huge wasp buzzes your head 3-4 times while you're mowing. Especially when they sound like a cross between a Chinook and a 747.

-J-

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Don't kill the cicada killers!

They're a rather beneficial hymenoptera to have around, actually.

And as said up thread, they are, in general, rather docile. And curious...

But yes, it is unnerving when a huge wasp buzzes your head 3-4 times while you're mowing. Especially when they sound like a cross between a Chinook and a 747.

-J-

Unfortunately, for them or any other insect if I can engage them: Me unnerved = them dead.

:D

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Most def a cicada killer. Ground dwelling hornets, solitary, considered non-aggressive towards humans. Feeds on practically anything else it can get its stinger into. Never heard of anyone attacked by them, being as they are solitary, like mud daubers. The colonizing bees, wasps, and hornets are the aggressive dangerous ones.

I have had them for two years in a row in the same spot of the yard by the patio/drive way. we can walk by and cut the grass and the will fly around but show no aggression.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Back in my day, quarters had bumblebees on them. We called them "bees". "Give me five bees for a quarter," we'd say.

It's a lesser-known fact, but that's where the phrase 'bee's knees' originates: the practice of paying merely a penny for a bee's "knees".
    Hence to show disapproval of quality or workmanship, one would say, 'that's the bee's knees,' meaning, it's not worth very much.

:):

:popcorn:

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis

they actually keep attacking while on fire or atleast the ones at my house did

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, thats an immature one. Coincidentally I caught and released one in my dining room today about the same size. (kids left the slider open)

I have never seen them be aggressive to humans, and they are quite beneficial. I even have video somewhere of one dragging a cicada into its nest. Well, trying valiantly anyway. I was only about 2' away and he didnt care about me. The hole was almost too small. I wanted to reach down and give the prey a 1/4 turn so he would fit so bad, but I didnt want to test the scientific understanding of "harmless to humans". :n00b: I mean, I've had them check me out, but never fly aggressively to me. Then again, I'm a firm believer in "stand still and the stingers with wings will leave you alone." Ive never been stung except when doing stupid things like swatting at them or reaching blindly into the toolbox mounted on a farm tractor that is always parked outside. DOH! (3 wasp stings at once for that one)

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I have had them for two years in a row in the same spot of the yard by the patio/drive way. we can walk by and cut the grass and the will fly around but show no aggression.

Yeah, I encounter these guys in the woods all the time, as I'm always going way off trail through thickets and such. They get real curious as I'm cutting a path with my boken, but never been stung by em. Even had one land on me while I was picking berries, that was my first encounter with these good boys. I looked down at my leg, mentally freaked, went back to picking, he left.

Top Bottom