• OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I love reporters....

For several hours, members of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources hauled out illegal weaponry like high-powered rifles with night-scope vision

and what the heck is night-scope vision?

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Am I missing something? It does not specifically state they were hunting deer but it does show a lot of coyotes they are whacking. If they are hunting deer with the "illegal" rifles and / or also trespassing, yes throw away the key, but if they are hunting coyotes with "legal" firearms that would be a different story. Yes they show a few deer heads on the property but all the kill shots shown seem to be coyotes. Last I checked it was legal to hunt coyotes with pretty much anything. I am not sticking up for the hunting preserve but the report doesnt tell the whole story. The thing I am looking at is if they make this a high profile case next they will use it to possibly try to take away rifles for coyotes. I know of several free range (non high fence) hunting preserves in the state. In the off season they open up coyote control hunts. On the preserve hunts basically the owners leases 100's to 1000's of acres from local farmers for the purpose of letting deer hunters come in and hunt deer. Some of these areas are full of coyotes that may be affecting the deer herd. The preserve hunters use the off season to control the coyotes and many bring in predator hunters to do so. :twocents:

"imminent threat" for using high power rifles?? How many people on this forum hunt coyotes at night with rifles? I would just hate to see a trespassing case turn into a "ban all dangerous high power rifles" case. If this is a case of Felony trespass to take game so be it but it sounds like they are really centering it on the use of high power rifles.

Last edited:

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    A year long investigation, sounds like we spent more then enough money on this venture. I don't understand why it would take that long to investigate something like that.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Maybe it took them a year to find charges to stick. Maybe it took them that long to finally catch the guys going off the property to retrieve some run off coyotes. That is the stuff that is really never told in the press. I am sorry but it sounds fishy. I know the DNR is against hunting preserves fenced or not in Indiana and just lost a huge case in court that will once again allow hunting preserves in Indiana. What I found a bit odd was that it was an imminent threat now after watching for a whole year, kind of an oxymoron isn't it. If they were hunting deer wouldn't it have been more of an imminent threat during deer season if they were using high powered rifles then??

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    Am I missing something? It does not specifically state they were hunting deer but it does show a lot of coyotes they are whacking. If they are hunting deer with the "illegal" rifles and / or also trespassing, yes throw away the key, but if they are hunting coyotes with "legal" firearms that would be a different story. Yes they show a few deer heads on the property but all the kill shots shown seem to be coyotes. Last I checked it was legal to hunt coyotes with pretty much anything. I am not sticking up for the hunting preserve but the report doesnt tell the whole story. The thing I am looking at is if they make this a high profile case next they will use it to possibly try to take away rifles for coyotes. I know of several free range (non high fence) hunting preserves in the state. In the off season they open up coyote control hunts. On the preserve hunts basically the owners leases 100's to 1000's of acres from local farmers for the purpose of letting deer hunters come in and hunt deer. Some of these areas are full of coyotes that may be affecting the deer herd. The preserve hunters use the off season to control the coyotes and many bring in predator hunters to do so. :twocents:

"imminent threat" for using high power rifles?? How many people on this forum hunt coyotes at night with rifles? I would just hate to see a trespassing case turn into a "ban all dangerous high power rifles" case. If this is a case of Felony trespass to take game so be it but it sounds like they are really centering it on the use of high power rifles.
    Plus one, and did they catch someone hunting off of the property or anyone call police after there houses or property shot up . sounds like someone may have jumped the gun :dunno:

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville

Maybe it took them a year to find charges to stick. Maybe it took them that long to finally catch the guys going off the property to retrieve some run off coyotes. That is the stuff that is really never told in the press. I am sorry but it sounds fishy. I know the DNR is against hunting preserves fenced or not in Indiana and just lost a huge case in court that will once again allow hunting preserves in Indiana. What I found a bit odd was that it was an imminent threat now after watching for a whole year, kind of an oxymoron isn't it. If they were hunting deer wouldn't it have been more of an imminent threat during deer season if they were using high powered rifles then??

Just to be clear, I am not against all DNR and really appreciate what they do. Our local counties up here have some excellent officers which I hold in very high regard. This ordeal just sounds like a mess that the news media (or anti hunting / gun media possibly) is running with and leaving out what they do not want the public to actually hear.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    dont see how they can be charged for something someone else has done and pretty sure that yote season is still in. this one will be interesting to see out come . doesnt sound like much of a case though unless owners were guiding hunts of off road or off of property .

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Said they confiscated "illegal" weapons...as far as I know there is no such thing as an illegal weapon. Just weapons used illegally. (unless the barrel is too short). Just because you have an AR with night vision scope that does not make it illegal. The C.O.s are not always the "good guys"...they can really stretch the situation to their advantage..seen it done. (not to me).

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    +1 to the Indiana CO's:rockwoot:. however the way they portrait the whole story, using words like "illegal guns" just makes the whole hunting community look worse in the general publics eyes. This just solidifies most peopls views of hunters as gun toting rednecks that shoot anything that moves. I'm glad that they caught the BG's but it's a sad day for media relation with the hunting community

Top Bottom