• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    I had 3 different woods to hunt and they were all owned by the same person. I hunted them for about 10 years. The older gentleman loved to watch the animals come out in his back yard and would we would sit there for hours and just watch the animals. Regrettably, the guy that owned it died, and his son (who doesnt hunt or care about it) recently sold the property to get it all cut down for the wood.

So, needless to say I've got nowhere to hunt now. The propertys were well maintaind by me and I spent a lot of time planting food plots and scouting the area. It has produces a lot of big deer and lots of big healthy coyotes.

I am just aggitated, because the guy has never hunted a day in his life and thinks its just a waste of time. I have asked him if I could hunt until they are all cut down and he declined. I know it is his property now and he calls the shots, but just because it was willed to him. I have basically put years of my life into this property and not to mention thousands of my hard earned dollars and was a year away from buying it all.

I am just ranting, because it feels like all of my efforts to make this a really good well managed property were futile.. I just don't get it sometimes.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I had 3 different woods to hunt and they were all owned by the same person. I hunted them for about 10 years. The older gentleman loved to watch the animals come out in his back yard and would we would sit there for hours and just watch the animals. Regrettably, the guy that owned it died, and his son (who doesnt hunt or care about it) recently sold the property to get it all cut down for the wood.

So, needless to say I've got nowhere to hunt now. The propertys were well maintaind by me and I spent a lot of time planting food plots and scouting the area. It has produces a lot of big deer and lots of big healthy coyotes.

I am just aggitated, because the guy has never hunted a day in his life and thinks its just a waste of time. I have asked him if I could hunt until they are all cut down and he declined. I know it is his property now and he calls the shots, but just because it was willed to him. I have basically put years of my life into this property and not to mention thousands of my hard earned dollars and was a year away from buying it all.

I am just ranting, because it feels like all of my efforts to make this a really good well managed property were futile.. I just don't get it sometimes.

PM me and let me know where you live.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I know how you feel, except it was family that all of a sudden decided that they didn't want anybody hunting. The funny (or sad) thing is, is that there are trespassers/poachers on the land, and they don't understand that allowing family to hunt will decrease the amount of poachers and trespassers on the land. :xmad:

This was decided just before the season this year (2011), AFTER my B-I-L spent thousands putting in food plots, feeders and trail cams last summer. I was planning on doing the same this year (2012), essentially splitting the cost. What was really sh***y, was the fact that they knew we were out there putting in the time and money and didn't say anything until right before the season. And, yes, we helped out on the land, cleaning up the trespassers' trash, cutting wood, etc.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County

Well, I guess you could look it as though you were lucky to have 10 years of access to it. I'm not sure there's anything like that near where I live.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    The really sad thing is my son and I would go over there and spend time with him, because he had treated us soo well and treated us like family. We would go there 2-3 times a week and he was a really good friend of mine. Heck, my boy called him Grandpa Larry. He told me on several occasions that his own son hadn't come and seen him in mothes. I dont want to disrespect Larrys good name by talking crap about his son, but there is a lot I could say.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    This is the world we find ourselves in. The kid or kids have no sentimental connection to the farm and the $$$ becomes the over riding factor. We have a small farm that my father in law has passed on to his four children (my wife included). He is still alive and controls it through an LLC. But I know when he passes, three of the four will say "sell" and that will be that. Yes, the wife and I are the ones that cut up trees that have fell into the bean fields, and mowed the grass, and cleaned the ditches and met with the farmer who rents the tillable ground, etc etc etc. In exchange, I hunt there. I'm the only one in the family who hunts, so it will be sold sometime in the future, and for one reason only....$$$$$.
    There was a time we thought we might be able to buy the other 3 out but land prices have gotten so high it would now take about $300g to buy the others' share. At nearing 60, that's out of the question now.It's a shame the grandchildren and great grands won't have it to run and play on but that's the world we live in.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thats the nice thing about my hunting situation. Its not the best hunting in the area, BUT its my fathers and will somday be mine, then somday be my kids. It may not be the best hunting but atleast i know it will always be there for me to use

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    The really sad thing is my son and I would go over there and spend time with him, because he had treated us soo well and treated us like family. We would go there 2-3 times a week and he was a really good friend of mine. Heck, my boy called him Grandpa Larry. He told me on several occasions that his own son hadn't come and seen him in mothes. I dont want to disrespect Larrys good name by talking crap about his son, but there is a lot I could say.

That same exact thing happened to me.

Top Bottom