• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Here's a fun and interesting bit of info I "have" regarding shooting skyward: I once saw an episode of Mythbusters where they proved that shooting a bullet into the sky and letting it fall would not be fatal - or even cause much damage. I know its TV and all...

I know the episode that you are talking about, that only holds true if the bullet is fired directly up in the air. If fired at an angle it can be and has been fatal. There are documented cases of people being killed by bullets fired up into the air.

PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    I know the episode that you are talking about, that only holds true if the bullet is fired directly up in the air. If fired at an angle it can be and has been fatal. There are documented cases of people being killed by bullets fired up into the air.

Ah yes I can imagine how that would be the case. I'm sure there's an angular threshold...

That was a good show
    7d63f76f7b488c1311ad038fbafc1dbe.jpg 89e8a1c5a6abf010e51d39e539a15df9--gamer-girls-guns-girls.jpg e3466aaf404ef69eadbd56bbca5476b1--kari-byron-redheads.jpg kari-byron-pictures9.jpg kari-byron-kari-byron-37214873-486-641.jpg

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I’m late to the party, but I’ll join in anyway.

What Mgderf and Natdscott said is spot on. Hunter’s education is a great start, and probably required, unless you are of the older generation. Squirrel hunting makes for an excellent introduction to the hunting world. Using a .22, it will teach fast target acquisition, a variety of shooting positions, and just lots of general woodsman skills (stalking, patience, noise differentiation, etc.) Also, just assume as was stated above, that your groups will double in size when you go hunting. There are just a lot more variables in the field.

A mentor will help tremendously. As helpful as INGO is, a buddy to show you the ropes will help you skip over years of learning the hard way.

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    don't forget deer season is upon us, wearing orange isn't just for the deer hunter . Being a noob at this can get you trouble . Make friends with somebody who hunts .

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    If you don't own land forget about it. Better off getting a guided trip someplace for species of choice and move on with life. Be much money and time ahead.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    If you don't own land forget about it. Better off getting a guided trip someplace for species of choice and move on with life. Be much money and time ahead.

Respectfully, I disagree with this. There is plenty of good hunting ground that is public in Indiana (and surrounding states.). The problem is most people don't want to work hard for good opportunities.

Want less competition? Take up bow hunting. Persue less popular species. Bow fishing is crazy fun. As said upthread there are tons of places to take squirrels or small game. Put in for reserved hunts.

But mostly be willing to go where the lazy hunters don't go. One shouldn't expect to park a truck, have a 5 minute flat walk, and hunt deer without tons of other hunters. Now go up a big hill and walk 1+ mile back off trail and you'll be amazed at what you'll find.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Nothing but bad luck on public land. I got some stories. Last straw was a guy shooting an animal that I clearly had already shot and was headed over to retrieve it. It was stone dead. He blasted cross range in front of me. Put me in danger and critter wasn't any good all gut shot. Unreal!

I think it may be my close proximity to Chicago. These bone heads come down for the day. Lots of places I refuse to go now.

May be different down south. Northern IL and IN is a joke.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Yah that sucks Sniper. So sorry you had that experience. It’s quite possible that smaller and more accessible public spots are over-run with people and would not be fun to hunt. I’ve been fortunate to find great places in Morgan-Monroe, Yellowood, Hoosier National. They are big enough and hilly enough that you can always find some out of the way spots.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I think it may be my close proximity to Chicago. These bone heads come down for the day. Lots of places I refuse to go now.

No, it's not. Idiots are everywhere, and they aren't even all city dwellers. My perception was always the same as yours (those GD Indy deer hunters and their f&*^in' lack of respect and their idiocy and I-don't-even-like-their-sissy-cars).

In reality, with two toe-to-toe encounters, a slug or three in the wrong directions, a couple court proceedings, and about 10 other incidents of lesser magnitude...

...not a damned one of them was anything but a local hilljack.

-Nate

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Man that's too bad. Really unfortunate.

It's been the better part of 10 years since I been out besides a couple guided hog hunts.

It's stories like yours and my own personal experiences that keeps me out of the woods. I have kids now too and I can't be getting shot in the back by some hilljack.

Been down to the Jackson Washington forest before. Thought about possibly throwing a squirrel rifle over my shoulder and walking awhile. Almost scared to do so.

Top Bottom