• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I'm one of those insane people who loves the outdoors combined with an adrenaline rush.
    Has anyone here successfully hunted down snakes? Where/When do you look? Any specific tactics?

sumphead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Coal Creek, IN
    Growing up in Alabama there were plenty of snakes to be found. Mostly venomous. There was no handling of those until after they were dispatched. Pop's had a S&W .38 with rat shot just for the occasion. I wish I knew how many copperheads and eastern diamond backs we killed.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Go to Florida. All those damn jungle snakes people turn loose when they get too big are causing problems, from what I hear!

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I'm one of those insane people who loves the outdoors combined with an adrenaline rush.
    Has anyone here successfully hunted down snakes? Where/When do you look? Any specific tactics?

Snake hunting really isn't an adrenaline rush sorta thing.

If you're serious about doing so, you'll need a snake hook or two, good heavy duty boots and gloves, long pants, long sleeve shirt, good hat, etc. Basically all the normal outdoors-y stuff.

Look under logs, pieces of metal, etc. Put the stuff back exactly how you found it when you're done.

If you're not 100% ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the snake isn't venomous, leave it the f alone. They aren't many venomous snakes in Indiana so most of what you come across is fine to handle. You'll probably get bitten. Especially if you try and pick up a 5ft black rat snake. They're pissy little guys.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I plan to wear no shoes while I do this..
    wait that's the other guy.

Gotta be careful what you say about that barefoot guy. Some people are just as or more serious about their survival guys than they are about their wrasslers. :):

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I used to grab them around my friend's pond. When they tried to bite me send them into the drink (just a toss).

My kids thought it funny...........but after a while I decided to give that crap up.

BTW, some snakes friggin' stink.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just go fishing this spring. Snakes absolutely LOVE mistaking my boat for a floating log. For the rush, jump from boat when they come and grab them as you're diving in the water.

We will need video.

Top Bottom