• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Okay guys, I have my idea for the INGO lower I just purchased. Here is the million dollar question. Let's say the bill that was passed this year to allow more calibers during hunting was not permanent, IE they decide not to make it a law when it's up for reconsideration. Are there any calibers, of the old hunting calibers, that you would consider hunting with from an AR15 platform. I won't be building a pistol since I already have an SBR. My idea is a crazy caliber SPR used for hunting. Let's hear some ideas.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Easy. A 458 SOCOM upper. Just pin it onto your existing lower. Same lower, same mags but with an already approved "before the recent change" for hunting in Indiana sized cartridge.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    6mmAR.

...and so that's done. Not QUITE a .243, but certainly legal, and certainly FITS.

(but you gotta reload)

-Nate

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    A lot of people will think it's silly but you can always do a 16" 300blk if it scratches an itch. Just something different from the other good options suggested.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Under the scenario you suggest where we go back to PCR maximum case length .450 Bushmaster, .458 Socom, and .50 Beowulf would be your most readily available options. If you reload and are a bit more adventurous .358 WSSM and .375 SOCOM would also be options.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've been trying to find the exact link to where the IN DNR says the specific calibers that are allowed. I've always had the best luck with my old trusty leveraction 44mag, but if 7.62x39 is ok this year, I may let the AK take a turn with a 5rd mag.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    A lot of people will think it's silly but you can always do a 16" 300blk if it scratches an itch. Just something different from the other good options suggested.

I did just that... I don't think it is silly. I love mine. VERY low recoil and relatively flat shooting.

Tomahawkman if .458 socom wasnt so expensive I would of built one for this year but it would cost me a fortune to sight in the optic lol.
    This is SOOOO TRUE. I totally neglected to think about this prior to getting setup for 458. Working up ladders is pretty painful$, then you have to sight the optic$, then have enough stocked ammo to make it worth it$.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Except those are not legal "before the change" which was my stipulation.

Sorry I must not have read that correctly. I was hunting with one before then but it was a pistol. Also in your regs though.

The 450 bushmaster is a good option. A friend of mine and his whole family hunts with them. I was shocked at how hard they smack at 200 when sighting them in. It's most certainly an improvement over the shotgun slugs. Seems like they are good out to about 300 without much worry.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I did just that... I don't think it is silly. I love mine. VERY low recoil and relatively flat shooting.

This is SOOOO TRUE. I totally neglected to think about this prior to getting setup for 458. Working up ladders is pretty painful$, then you have to sight the optic$, then have enough stocked ammo to make it worth it$.

I agree, not silly at all. My Son is planning to use a 16" 300BK and you are correct, the 300 is amazingly flat for a .308 round. He is 12 and can easily handle the recoil of the 300 vs. 450BM.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I also don't think it's silly, I'm just saying some do... It's what I'll be hunting with this year also. Only because I don't really feel like running out and getting a new rifle that fits the new regs with which I'd want to hunt.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I went back and forth on what setup to do for Deer hunting, but it came down to we already have a few good rifles, a browning .308 and a .300 savage. I was contemplating my options of a .300 blk upper, .458 or .450, I even though about setting my AK up for it but the more I thought about it the less I could justify the cost of any of the options when I only get out hunting a weekend out of the year probably so Ill just use one of the rifles we already have.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I don't have a hunting firearm. I live in an apartment and as soon as I get a house, I'll be getting a stand alone freezer and will start hunting. Therefore, any hunting rifle that I own will have to be built or bought forward from this day. I can build an upper and then use the lower for other ARs. I specifically have an itch for an SPR. A one off SPR.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've been trying to find the exact link to where the IN DNR says the specific calibers that are allowed. I've always had the best luck with my old trusty leveraction 44mag, but if 7.62x39 is ok this year, I may let the AK take a turn with a 5rd mag.

Here's the official word, straight from the DNR - DNR gets clarification on new rifle law for deer hunting - 4/5/2016 - State of Indiana

Just to make this easier to understand, all calibers (i.e. handgun caliber rifles, such as those chambered in .44 Mag or .458 Socom) currently legal in rifle length guns remain legal.
    There are two bore diameters that this new law legalizes: .243 and .308
    Any rifle of either of the above two bore diameters must have a minimum case length of 1.16" (the same requirement for any modern handgun or rifle, as it has been ever since handguns for deer and handgun caliber rifles were originally legalized for deer), but the restriction on maximum case length that applies to all handgun caliber rifles (there is no restriction on maximum case length when using a handgun, btw) does not apply for the rifle of either .243 or .308 bore diameter.
    Just off the top, some of the newly legal chamberings include: .243 Winchester, 6mm Remington, .240 Weatherby Magnum, .30-30 Winchester, .308 Winchester, .300 Savage, .30-06 Springfield, 7.62x54mmR, and (yes) 7.62x39mm, and even .300 Weatherby.
    That's right, the AK meets the requirements, at least as long as it's in the hands of someone capable of consistently hitting a target the size of a pie pan (the vital zone for the classic heart/lung shot) at whatever distance he shoots his deer.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I mean 450 should still be very deadly out of a sbr I personally like 6.5 Grendel but I don't know how well it would perform on deer
    An SBR isnt legal as I have read it. It must have a 16" barrel or longer.... Or be a pistol. Not sure if 450 would be a legal as a pistol caliber, but if its like 458, I sure as hell don't want to shoot it!

Top Bottom