• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Some of the pencil barrel rifles will shot three rounds with the best of the heavies.
    Mid you can find a browning abolt 308 take a nice look at it. Half the weight of the heavy versions nice stocks good extractors and excellent accuracy. Those Japanese make some nice weapons. Most of the abolt were
    what I would call pencil barrels. That is one of the good things about being old. The guys back in the day did not want anything made in Japan be it a tv a car or a rifle. They were selling cheap for the quality at the time. Nobody in Indiana wanted A 308 because they were not deer legal either so demand was down. Drop a good scope on one and good for a few lifetimes of deer hunting. Some had the option of a BOSS tuner on the end of the pencil barrel also allowing you to tune the rifle to the load instead of shooting the load the rifle likes. From what I know of benchrest 22 with tuners the pencil barrels work better with a tuner than the heavy barrels. Why I don’t know exactly. I will admit the BOSS looks like a pickle on the end of the barrel.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I picked up a Model 7 stainless (HS prec stock) and it had a skinny little bbl on it.
    Shot OK............but didn't like the overall balance.
    Shoulda kept it and rebarrelled with something a little heavier in contour.
    Dang things went up a bunch.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have been looking at this new savage - > Savage Arms : Firearms : Model : 110 Tactical

My one main concern with the Savage is the magazine capacity is 10. Not sure if they make a smaller 5 rounder but if the DNR ever changed the regs I would hate to not have a magazine option.

I am also looking at the Heavy Barrel Howa.

Thought the law was ammo possession limit afield, not mag capacity.
    If they ever do a mag capacity deal.........mod the mag to comply.................should be pretty easy.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The ammo rule is a weird one. I now use a 357 mag handgun and 44 mag rifle or 44 mag handgun and 35 rem rifle when I would like to embrace my inner cowboy and use the 44 mag in both. Don’t want any issues with the man.

Next it it will be five rounds total. Then four three and finally two.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I guess purple paint on private land boundaries would be a good trade for more ammo afield..............

Can just wait til IN legalizes weed, like Colorado....... and then apply their hunting rifle mag capacity limit (no more than 6 rounds total in semi auto big game rifle).

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Is the savage 10 T heavy barrel they sell at Cabela's the same rifle as the 10 FCP? Had a chance to hold that yesterday at Cabela's and it felt really nice. Does it really have the 5R rifling like the website says

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Savage makes factory 4 or 5 round mags along with their new 10rd mags.

From what I've read so far the only savage rifles taking the AI pattern mags are their stealth models, and their new to 2018 scout. The proprietary factory savage/Remington or whoever magazine never really appealed to me just because I never really cared for specialty mags. Now with magpul making "affordable" ai pattern mags at $30 something at least you know you can have mags that work from one rifle to another. This appeals to me because the savage scout has always been on my "want/wish" list and one of the things that always stopped me was that I'd want a bunch of mags to go with it. Now if I buy that rifle, I already have several mags for it that I use with my rem 700 magpul hunter.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I was looking around tonight and noticed that Savage sells this rifle.. a 12FV heavy barrel in 26 inch. Comes in .308 as well. How much better would the savage 10FCP be than this for a general deer rifle for tree stand hunting and time just plinking at the range for fun? I like that it is almost 200.00 less. I think I read when it runs on sale they have it for around 350.00.

I like the look of the 10FCP but i will never add a suppressor and can live with an internal box magazine as much as I shoot. Accuracy wise would the 12FV be up there with the 10FCP?

Savage® Arms 12 FV Bolt-Action Varmint Rifles : Cabela's

Top Bottom