• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeftyLefty39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just want to poll the minds here on INGO about their opinions and thoughts on the Huskemaw 5-20x50mm riflescope. I've heard lots of good things about it and watched many "gunwerks" and "best of the west" videos where its the scope of choice. Also i've been reading up on longrangehunting.com about its reviews and it seems to be a solid product. I am just not sure about how it holds up durability wise over time and with some gentle abuse (recoil, hiking with it, and weathering the elements). I trust name brands like leupold and nightforce and I originally looked into their products and they are still part of my consideration. I am just not sure the extra money is necessary if the huskemaw does what I want (hunt medium to large game out west out to 1000yrds and be consistent and durable, also it needs to last me a long time).

My NightForce scope I am considering, if not the Huskemaw, is the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50mm with m1 turrets, illuminated reticle, and side focus parallax adjustment. (no mil-dot or mil-ran reticle necessary)

Thoughts????????? Opinions?????
    Has anyone held one? Hunted with one? Used the turret adjustments and etc?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you been reading up on the scope and none of the reviews have mentioned anything about the durability you are looking for or give you a good feeling about it's reliability then pass.
    I looked on their website and it said this scope was designed because of a TV show?? Pass

Buy what you know has been proven and pay the extra $. Learn from all the buy once cry once posts and dont be another gunie pig for a new unproven product. From the looks of things your rifle is going to get bumped around, invest in something you kow will work when you get to your final destination and dont skimp on the rings and base either.

BUY ONCE CRY ONCE, that saying will never get old!

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    And if it means anything, for teh money teh NF is pretty tuff to beat. I was with my nephews at Kingsbury this weekend. Took my AI rifle and from 5 feet high dropped it on it's recoilpad 5 times, benched it and it still held zero and gave me a quarter size group at 100 yards.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i looked into there scopes and didn't find very favorable reviews. ive never looked through one so its hard to give a opinion but i know alot of folks do not like them at all.

i haven't looked in a while but arn't they more expensive than nf or leupold? personally id stick with nf and if you want to upgrade from that go uso or s&b. are the huskamaw scopes ffp? do your need ffp?

HeftyLefty39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't need a ffp...we plan to dial and dope and not mil range. Its for a 7MRM and its all factory so its a pretty good kick. The NF is about $1600 and the Huskemaw is $1200 so its a bit cheaper, but again i'm willing to pay a bit more for better quality and tighter specs. I'm thinking about doing the 20moa alluminum direct mount that fits a Rem 700 long action model well and has recoil screws and the proper rings! Total price will be around $2000 and thats for the NXS 3.5-15x50mm illuminated reticle, side focus parallax adjustment, M1 turrets, 1/4moa adjustments, NPR-1 reticle. We've considered the 5.5-22x50 as well, but again its more money and we're not sure that its necessary as we really don't plan to shoot any further than 1000yds. We'll be shooting a 168gr berger VLD bullet and we've all but finalized the load. Our external ballistic skills are not perfected by any means though.

Thanks guys for the info!

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Although the $400 price swing is a substantial amount, I would have to say it is cheap insurance when you factor in that NF has a reputation for standing up for their product should an issue ever arise.
    I'm a big fan of unimounts as well, keeping it simle works.

Not saying Huskemaw isnt a good scope or worth the $1200, just saying I wouldnt be the test subject to find out. Plenty of people out there with deeper pockets than mine or get paid to be the gunie pigs!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    something to consider if you get the new 20moa rail is aluminum flexes alot more than steel with heavey recoil rifles. i defintally think it would be worth the extra 50 or so bucks for steel compared to aluminum.

for instance say the aluminum flexes 1/4 moa. at 100yds i doesn't really mattter its 1/4 of a inch and still dead animal. at 1000 yds its 4 inches wich could be the diffrence in "dropped in its tracks" to "tracking a long ways and a slow and painful death"

HeftyLefty39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    42769vette,

I'm trying to think more about what you said and I agree about the alluminum flexing more than steel would...However, all barrels flex a bit with a shot, and you hope for a well enough constructed barrel that allows it to come back to its original shape/position as consistently as possible. With that being said, we'll be shooting a factory rifle, but we're buying a new stock that will float and bed the barrel to eliminate as much inconsistency in realigning the rifle from shot to shot and control the harmonics a bit better. Here's and excerpt from the website about this specific mount..."Like all Nightforce mounts, it incorporates an integral recoil lug which prevents any movement of the base or stress on the screws attaching the Direct Mount to the receiver. It is the ultimate in a weight-saving one-piece design. "...i'm not sure this specific mount will take me off target like you're saying.
    At least Nightforce seems to believe so.

I've been wrong before though! HA

Top Bottom