• ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Builder upgrades are typically crazy expensive. If you can, take a look at the same model that you are building with the upgrades installed and see how difficult it may be to do an after market upgrade. A lot of times it can be done for less.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I have always heard that the expensive, high-end type filters can "choke" a unit down and make it difficult to operate - creating a problem instead of solving one. I make no claim to HVAC expertise - just parroting what I have been told. However, it makes sense to me that if a filter is overly restrictive, it would put strain on the system.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What builder are you going with?

M/I. They're the only ones in the area doing full sheeting, 2x6 exterior walls, and cement board siding.

The variable speed blower allocating money when out of warranty

it definitely seems variable speed is much more expensive to work on.

Builder upgrades are typically crazy expensive. If you can, take a look at the same model that you are building with the upgrades installed and see how difficult it may be to do an after market upgrade. A lot of times it can be done for less.

yeah, a lot of the "upgrades" are overpriced.

I have always heard that the expensive, high-end type filters can "choke" a unit down and make it difficult to operate - creating a problem instead of solving one. I make no claim to HVAC expertise - just parroting what I have been told. However, it makes sense to me that if a filter is overly restrictive, it would put strain on the system.

i think we're just going to go with the standard unit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In going the standard route there are several good filter choices available up to and including allergy active ones.
    When you get the house done my offer stands.

The Burgers will be at a new place we just found at 71st and 465 west side. Outstanding food.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

The 4-inch filters aren't really 4 times as thick as a standard 1-inch filter. There's just a lot more pleates, i.e. more surface area. In a properly designed system there won't be any problems.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Tim, 4 inch filters or Spaceguard? Which do you prefer?

Sorry for taking long to post... it depends, new home like this both (to me) work very well. spaceguard is more $$$ but I have never seen it really worth the price difference.
    You can order the 4" filters on Amazon and you can get them at Lowes too... but there is a difference in construction. Stretch a space guard filter out and measure it, many pleats = more filter area. Many of the cheaper filters are not as big. All are better than your 3M 15-20 filter at walmart. If it makes you feel better then buy what you like. The brand I get and install are Air bear filters and have about 6 stickers that you can put on of different company names and the filter is around 140+ tax and depending the filters are 20.00+/- depending where you buy it.
    The space guard pleated filters can be a pain to put together , unless they changed them, I have not put one in for years. If the system is restricted by the filter someone did not size the return properly... I know that was brought up in a question to.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What ever you decide on, make sure that the entire duct work system is fully cleaned after the drywall is sanded and installed. Our home was finished 3 years ago and I was replacing the 4" filters every month. I hired an outside HVAC company to inspect my system and they found it loaded with drywall dust and residue. Once the duct work was cleaned properly, the 4" filters are lasting at least 6 months. I get mine at Home Depot and I buy the cheapest (not the low micron or allergenic filters) filters I can find. That is what the HVAC guys told me to get.

I also had these HVAC guys install an ultra-violet air purification system. You can actually smell the ozone that is generated. Cooking odors and fine airborne particles also eliminated.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Yeah if at all possible do NOT let them turn on the system while they're drywalling.
    To my knowledge manufactures will void the warranty if you use the system before the home is finished. Any reputable hvac dealer would know that and supply the alternative heating source. And do not let them use a salamander..
    I have seen heat exchangers plugged with drywall dust because of this.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What ever you decide on, make sure that the entire duct work system is fully cleaned after the drywall is sanded and installed. Our home was finished 3 years ago and I was replacing the 4" filters every month. I hired an outside HVAC company to inspect my system and they found it loaded with drywall dust and residue. Once the duct work was cleaned properly, the 4" filters are lasting at least 6 months. I get mine at Home Depot and I buy the cheapest (not the low micron or allergenic filters) filters I can find. That is what the HVAC guys told me to get.

I also had these HVAC guys install an ultra-violet air purification system. You can actually smell the ozone that is generated. Cooking odors and fine airborne particles also eliminated.

We're just doing the standard system. Their upgrade costs were off. We hope to live there long enough to replace it a couple times, so we'll upgrade then. Good call on cleaning out the ductwork.

Get a mini split system.

I am limited in the options that I actually have. The joy of subdivision life.

To my knowledge manufactures will void the warranty if you use the system before the home is finished. Any reputable hvac dealer would know that and supply the alternative heating source. And do not let them use a salamander..
    I have seen heat exchangers plugged with drywall dust because of this.

Yeah if at all possible do NOT let them turn on the system while they're drywalling.

I may be wrong about this, but I had been thinking the final system install wouldn't take place until the drywall work was done. Figured they would just put in the ductwork before drywall. Admittedly, I don't know a lot about this process.

Top Bottom