• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Trying to figure out what I can run with my Honda eu3000is generator.

Does a 240v condenser unit require split phase or (in a pinch) can it run off the same leg of 120v?
    Does 1 leg of 120 go to fan motor & the other go to compressor or is the compressor 240v split phase?

I beleive it is about a 2ton(+or-) Bryant unit.

Thanks in advance.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have thought about that as well. If compressor doesn't require a split phase I will probably try to have blower fan running already to reduce startup draw or put a delay of some sort on it.

If it "theoretically" will fly, it will be a temporary solution to keep the house from getting too warm in an extended outage.

Planning to get a larger 240v genset, hoping to find a diesel rig.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    You can swap the furnace from being switched to running on a plug. Pull the switch, put in an outlet, then a pigtail on the furnace itself.

That'll help you run the fan in a pinch, but nothing, nothing replaces a big generator.

We've had a few multi day outages this year and the Harbor Freight 9500 can almost run my entire house at the same time, I just need to manage the larger loads. That being said, I just picked up a Duromax 13,000w which will do it all...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You can swap the furnace from being switched to running on a plug. Pull the switch, put in an outlet, then a pigtail on the furnace itself.

That'll help you run the fan in a pinch, but nothing, nothing replaces a big generator.

We've had a few multi day outages this year and the Harbor Freight 9500 can almost run my entire house at the same time, I just need to manage the larger loads. That being said, I just picked up a Duromax 13,000w which will do it all...
    I have a Miller Bobcat 250 welder / generator that I have run my home with on a few occasions.
    The good part in Indiana is the main home has natural gas appliances. A whole lot less fuel is needed, for the most part I can run a old Honda 2,500

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My small, 2200 Watt suit case size generator will run my gas furnace OR my refrigerator and a small charger on my deep cycle battery. It is never a good idea to run more tha 60 or 70% of full load for very long.

Like jamin said you cannot have both leads of a compressor motor run on the same phase. It is not just the voltage, but the timing of the sine wave.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I have a Miller Bobcat 250 welder / generator that I have run my home with on a few occasions.
    The good part in Indiana is the main home has natural gas appliances. A whole lot less fuel is needed, for the most part I can run a old Honda 2,500
    Correct, just not A/C then. That's what made me move up from a 3500 to a 9500. And moving to a place that's all electric (with fairly frequent outages) made me buy the 13k.

It's essential a whole house generator without the auto transfer switch.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Correct, just not A/C then. That's what made me move up from a 3500 to a 9500. And moving to a place that's all electric (with fairly frequent outages) made me buy the 13k.

It's essential a whole house generator without the auto transfer switch.
    Yes, I dont own a auto transfer myself. My Bobcat sits in the shop on wheels, I move it near the roll up and I have a 220V and a few 120V male to male plugs. I turn the main breaker off and back feed everything.
    On occasion with turning off all the breakers on one side of my mail panel, I have plugged in a 120V male to male to the house and just made one side of the 200A panel hot.

Top Bottom