• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Unfortunately the "us vs. them" mentality isn't only perpetuated by cops. I have experienced it both online and in the real world from many non-cops. It doesn't matter who starts it or what their reasons were for starting it, everyone needs to work on stopping it. One way to do that is to realize it happens and be the bigger person and not try to start another "us vs. them" discussion. Hint, hint.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    spending time with people who aren't constantly scanning their environment for the sinister.

Guess that means no more INGO outings. ;)

Frank, I didn't think it meant the INGO version of "us vs. them." I thought it was referring to the general psychological feeling, not unlike that of a soldier returning from combat duty, that nobody really understands what the LEO goes through. That coupled with the stress of the job itself can lead to interactions with people that on their face are harmless and not intended to criticize, but which the hypersensitivity of LEOs resulting from the nature of their work often leads to conflicts. It's a catch-22 situation: his hypersensitivity can often make it seem like even the slightest comment from someone is overly critical. His response is defensive and perhaps charged with aggressiveness. The other person sees that response and feels attacked, makes a comment, becoming ever more critical as the cycle repeats.

I only scanned the first couple of paragraphs since I don't have time to read it all right now, but I didn't think it was rooted in the LEO vs citizen issue. However, I do think that the officer's reactions to situations can be affected by this hypersensitivity and THAT can contribute to the other version of "us vs them."

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    My wife bought me that book for Christmas once...... I wonder if she was trying to tell me something....

Top Bottom