Hypotheical question: Carrying in a bookbag without a LTCH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Let's say I just bought a new hand gun. I'm thrilled, and my buddy who lives two blocks away wants to check it out too. Can I just toss the pistol in a bookbag and set out on foot towards his house to show him my new purchase?

In the unlikely event I were to do so, and say, cops were on the block searching for a robbery suspect and stopped me and wanted to see what was in my book bag, what would happen if they found an unloaded handgun being carried by someone who does not yet possess their LTCH?

I've not purchased a new handgun, haven't done this, but it's good to know the laws in the event this does happen. I'm about to move so have held off on applying for my LTCH until I get my new address. If I lived a couple blocks from a buddy I'd not drive there, I'd just walk. So for the sake of knowing what I can and can not do before I get my LTCH, just curious if this sort of 'transport' of an unloaded handgun is something I could do or not.

n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd thing you were SOL unless your buddy's house qualified as a gunsmith or a firing range.
    Why not have your hypothetical buddy hoof it over to YOUR hypothetical house instead? :D

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I'd thing you were SOL unless your buddy's house qualified as a gunsmith or a firing range.
    Why not have your hypothetical buddy hoof it over to YOUR hypothetical house instead? :D

Because in this hypothetical scenario he is sitting in his backyard around the fire pit with a freshly cracked beer and invited me over to his house? IDK. :D

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    If you are asking "can you"? Yes you can but first make sure you take lots of hypothetical pictures of your hypothetical weapon cause if you're stopped on the way over that's all you'll have to show him.....much later!

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Officer discretion is a tricky thing................It would seem reasonable IF, it was unloaded and in a LOCKED in a case. In the fully zipped back pack that one could make a argument that the steps to making the gun ready to fire are similar to that of keeping it in the trunk of a car. It is a letter of the law vs. a spirit of the law situation IMHO. Alas, IANAL and it would be up to the officer that discovered the weapon on the stop. I would not risk it myself but your results may vary. Good Luck and God SpeeD!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Unload it, encase it, tie a length of rope to the case and drag it behind you on the ground, just out of your reach.

Legislators all have cars, thus the ridiculous infringements they propose rarely account for any other possibility.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

Wasn't the law changed? You no longer need a LTCH to take a pistol anywhere, range,buddies house etc. As long as its in a locked case. Still need a LTCH if you plan on carrying on your person (holster).

Should people be denied firearm purchases simply because they have no automobile in which to transport the purchase to their home, or any other place they are legally allowed to be with the firearm?

Makes sense to me, What if I live down the block from the range, or my buddy down the street has a range, I HAVE to drive? What if my car is in the shop?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This can, of course, be remedied with Constititional Open Carry. Just strap your new sidearm on and you can't be accused of concealing. Even if a JBT violated your rights by stopping you for OCing without RAS of a crime, if you're not required to get a LPPS to OC, he'll ultimately get frustrated and just go home and beat his own family.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I think most handguns come with some kind of lock. If I were you and wanted to do this, I would ask the seller behind the counter to attach the lock through/on the gun for you. If you got stopped and they found a handgun, unloaded, in a bag, with a lock on it, your chances are better of not being sent to jail. IANAL

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Legislators all have cars

No, no, no, ATM, say something frickin' mystical and wise and stuff.

Say it like "and fish cannot see water, brasshoppper." *gong sounds*

Look at the statute, see how all the exemptions are for in your car?

Fish cannot see water.

Top Bottom