• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Douglas Tompkins, co-founder of North Face, dies after Chile kayak accident | Environment | The Guardian

The co-founder of North Face died after a cold water kayak tip over.

My first high quality piece of gear was a North Face sleeping pad, Christmas 1971. I still have it and use it as a pad for my dogs hunting, camping and in the shop, which is where it is now. I never forgot why my Dad liked their gear back then and clearly he was right, they were making good stuff.

So with all his experience around cold water, his entire life starting in San Francisco, at 72 hypothermia got him. I am a freak about hypothermia. I am more than comfortable wading across a stream in cold weather or even winter. Two years ago during a snow while hunting I had to go rib deep to get my dog out of a drowning trap, miles away from any help. The thing is, if I do a water crossing, I plan it and I am prepared for it. If it is unplanned, like my dog, I am dressed for it and have minimum gear needed to have a good chance at surviving. Early in life I had tons of training and opportunity to test my survival skills in all extremes.

When I got hypothermia, it was June or July in Minnesota. I could survive 100+ temps or -50, there I was in summer with hypothermia. I got through it and thank God the next day was warm, sunny and dry. One of my favorite sunrises of all time. Obviously my case was mild hypothermia but still a very painful experience. It is the baseline of my thoughts every time I step out. This will most likely get you before anything else does. I know when I am walking the edge but I won't die due to lack of tools or skills. It will just be bad timing AKA nature at work.

It sucks he died that way, but it gives credence to a lot of what he was about. Quality gear helps to give you a quality life in sync with the outdoors. There is a certain base line common knowledge that goes with it. Be careful, don't be in a rush, no shortcuts.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    ZOUB,
    good post. I was following this on Adventure Journal. Here is this experienced mountaineer, with other experienced guys like Chouinard, and he is in an area he had been living for a while. Should be no surprises, but Murphy showed up. He was alive when the chopper plucked him out of the water. I can only guess that his age and his lack of body fat may have contributed to his condition. Still, he went out doing what he loved. I'll pour a sip out for him.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    When I was a rock climber 30 years ago, I was mentored by a wise young man that taught me the meaning of value. Buy once, cry once. Almost all of our camping gear and outerwear was The North Face, Black Diamond, and Woolrich. I still own every piece of gear that I bought back then, and it still works great.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    When I was a young man I followed his adventures with Yvonne Chouinard and others....Like the previous poster said...He died doing what he loves and as far as deaths go hypothermia is a pretty peaceful way to go....I will also tip a sip out for him as well...Salute'....

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Sounds like everyone here is old enough to get this twist on the old IBM saying.

"Nobody ever got fired for buying North Face."

My Dad is long gone but I was looking at that blue pad last night. I am sure his experiences running around the arctic and then Korea influenced his opinions about quality gear. Especially when I look at pics from that time period. I am sure it is also why he became such a champion of using the best technology available in combat.

When I was a kid and really started hunting in Indiana, I had to hunt alone. Dad's rule was he would never come looking for me until after dark. Same rule we had in North Dakota. So if I got in any crap, don't panic, but he needed to know where to start looking for me. I had proven that to myself when I got in deep in ND once and no one even knew what direction I went in.

Now where I hunt and fish it could take a day just to find my truck and I hunt alone. I always text my wife the exact time I went and where the truck will be parked. I have also told her many of my favorite routines because 4-5 miles of trails is a lot of ground to cover and cell coverage is often not working. As I get older I realize it's not as easy to come limping out of the woods so I try to stack the deck in my favor.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    So... Ted Williams isn't coming back ?
    This is one area where we will be THE pioneers. That point where people are not sure "is he being funny or is he turning senile? He didn't use purple!"

I fear that in the future there will be a bunch of dumb shuts who can't use a compass & map or get sarcasm. This is why I refuse to use purple.

How much is a Ted Williams outboard motor worth these days?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    LOL...I didn't think I needed to use purple.. Yes it was a joke.
    .I went with Ted , because I figured it was to soon if I made a joke about the discussion was settled between North Face and Carhartt.

Carhartt for the win..

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I got it! I think people like us do them a favor Keepn' it real.

You are right though, too soon. I say after Sunday green light. Tomorrow when I am on the garage floor under my truck I will be wearing carhartts while I am on my North Face pad.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'm sorry to hear about his passing; the irony of the situation is unmistakable, though.

As far as North Face equipment is concerned; I've never had much use for it. I've bought a couple items from them and haven't noticed that their stuff was any better quality than the same stuff from Columbia, Eddie Bauer, etc. REI's generic stuff, (which I purchased when I lived in Washington State in the 70s) was a better value for the money, IMO.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    In expedition grade gear they have only a couple of peers, none of which are listed.

Their mall gear i like everyone else: mall gear. Few living well enough to distinguish the difference is what lets guys like Tomkins live like they do.

Top Bottom