• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    I am no attorney, but I played one in a high school play, but I would contact animal control (in writing) so you have a "claim/incident" on the record. Do you have a smart phone with video? Take it with you and record any aggressive behavior by this dog. I would also call the police and report the incident. I don't know where you live but aren't there leash laws in your area. Any dog owner that doesn't understand the liability they could face with this dangerous animal must be living in a cave. You are very lucky you weren't physically attacked. I believe they used Great Danes to hunt lions. I am nervous just being around one. Good luck!

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Back when my parents lived in Garrett I came to live with them after college. To make a long story short, our neighbors had a dog that ran in a pack around the country acting all wild. They attacked and nearly killed our Cairn Terrier. I tried to talk to the neighbors but they were less than receptive. The dog kept returning so I called the sheriffs dept. They told me that once an animal leaves it's property and enters yours, game over.

Well, I heard my mom scream outside the house. When I exited I saw the dog chasing my Mom's Yorkshire terrier. I am not a hunter and have never killed anything but this was the final straw. I shouted which brought the dog to a dead stop and he turned toward me. I opened fire with a 2nd Gen S&W 5906 (this was 1988). Three rounds and the dog was dead. I called the sheriff'c office again and for some reason I still cannot explain an IN Conservation Officer arrived, loaded the dead dog in his trunk and took it to the neighbors. He informed them that this was a good shoot and that he would be back to see if them if there was any attempt at retribution.

In short, you would have been justified in killing that dog a few times over. Having said that, DO NOT SEND THE LETTER. It can be used against you many times over. File a complaint with your police dept and animal control. If it happens again and you TRULY feel in danger, dispatch the dog in the most humane and efficient manner possible then call the police.

vanguard2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Fairmount
    Like others had said, I would file reports with the local police and animal control. Tell the owners you would like for them to keep the dog tied and away from your property. Do not tell them what you will do if the dog comes at you again. When/If he comes at you again, don't wait for him to draw blood.

dmonday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm glad I came across this thread. This I was walking on the sidewalk in our neighborhood pulling my 2 yr old son in a wagon and my wife was hold our 1 month old daughter. I don't normally carry, but I'm trying to make myself always carry...luckily I had decided that this same day.
    We were walking on the side walk on the opposite side of the street from a house that has a pit mix, jack russel and now they have an aggressive black lab (super). They always jump on the fence and could easily clear it if they knew it. Today they weren't the problem, across the street from them there is a house that has 3 pit bulls that are normally inside the house (they go ape **** when you walk by). Today 2 of them were in their 6' privacy fenced in back yard. Next thing I know one of the pit's has jumped up the fence and is trying to pull itself over (while growling and barking viciously at us). We stopped dead in our track b/c it startled us quite honestly. If you think of the dog as a person, it basically had everything above it's belly button above the fence line. It ended up falling back to the ground on the inside of the fence and we got out of there! I was proud that without thinking about it I was already pulling out the hand gun (remember, I don't normally carry). I'm not a pit hater, I have one and I'm an animal lover (I managed a few PetSmarts around Indianapolis for yrs) but a person's life is more valuable than any animals life. I do know how strong, determined and fast they are though. It's sad that I feel like we can't even walk in our own neighborhood. I already had to stop walking my dog b/c some people don't think their dogs have to be secured. My dog IS dog aggressive and of course I'd be the bad guy b/c she's a pit. Now we decided we'd only walk half the neighborhood and then turn around. Sucks.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... As a result she decided to buy some pepper spray, a couple of months later the same dog came after her and she used the spray, it worked and the dog never messed with her again...

Pepper spray is your friend and will potentially save you a lot of grief.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    should have shot him. I had a problem with a neighborhood dog and finally grew tired of dealing with the owner and called the police and told them if they didn't get over here and do something with the dogs i was going to shoot them. When the cops arrived they had the dogs removed until the court hearing and the "Barney" processed to tell me not to call the station and threaten to shoot a dog. I told him that it wasn't a threat and if this didn't end it next time I would handle it. He was not happy with my reply but not much he could do. I will not take crap from a retard that can't keep his animals in check. I myself own an large Akita and would never let him roam around free not that I am worried he is a great dog but he is a DOG

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'M with the crowd of no letter voters. I also WOULD call animal control and the police anytime I saw the beastie out. Anytime. And if he comes onto your property and behaves aggressively, defend yourself. I.had a similar problem with a smaller but vicious dog. Eventually I had to deal with it appropriately. I didn't like it, but dogs are expendable. My kids are not.

bnatc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My neighbors have a 100+lb great dane, its aggressive, and they leave it outside unrestrained and unsupervised on a regular basis.

When i first moved here, it bit a hole in my leather coat, its mauled my dogs on multiple occasions, and much more...

Yesterday it attacked me, my brother, our dogs, and a neighbors dog that we were taking for a walk... It didn't draw blood so i didn't pull the trigger, because the people who own it appear rather rich and i presume they have an expensive attorney.

I'm writing a letter to give to them, and including a giant tennis ball in order to avoid further drama... The indecent and more is in there.

Someone tell me if this written well enough, i tried not to be too irritable about it, but at the same time i really couldn't sugar coat it much.

Don't bother. Just call Animal Control. If it is happening to you, it is more than likely happening to other neighbors as well.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't put anything in writing saying I drew my pistol. I think that's just asking for trouble. IANAL

Exactly. This gives the owners perfect legal evidence that you're "blood thirsty" and it will be used against you in civil court (if not criminal).

What you do need is to establish a paper trail with the local gov't (animal control, police dept.) that this dog is a habitual menace.

Top Bottom