• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I had heard Deb's Gun Shop had been robbed. I have a gunshop so I called around trying to find a list of the guns that were stolen so I could notify my staff to be on the lookout for said guns.

I called the Hammond Police number listed on the article I read. No one knew anything about any kind of list. After the third transfer I just quit. I tried Deb's gun Shop several times but no one answered. I am not knocking the police department or anyone else here.

I was just trying to do my part to deter crime. I am annoyed and disappointed there isn't a list or a fastrack system (email or fax) where all area gun shops are notified to be on the lookout for stolen guns. The people at the police deparment sounded like no one had ever called in about such a thing before. Again, not a knock on them but disappointed.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I was under the impression you could call in to the police and verify serial numbers not stolen and what not. Or is it only police officers that can do that?

wallotcorydon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corydon
    I often hang out at my Local Gun Shop, and know the owner and most employees very well. I am also very good friends with most of the LEO's in this town/county. Unless someone has told the people at the shop about a or a group of specific guns stolen, they have no reason to check them. AFAIK, unless they contact the PD and have and officer at their shop, they do not have the ability to "run" the serial numbers.

I also know of 2 or 3 occassions where they were on the lookout for guns or bows that had been stolen, and when they were brought to the shop, they were able to stall long enough in getting the thief his check, to alert police and them get there to get the BG!

I agree with OP, there should be some sort of alert system that goes out to Gun shops and also pawn shops for that matter, to allow them to check the numbers on the guns against the list. I know my local shop does get DL information, but unless the gun is run through NICS or whatever system, it will not do any good.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I often hang out at my Local Gun Shop, and know the owner and most employees very well. I am also very good friends with most of the LEO's in this town/county. Unless someone has told the people at the shop about a or a group of specific guns stolen, they have no reason to check them. AFAIK, unless they contact the PD and have and officer at their shop, they do not have the ability to "run" the serial numbers.

I also know of 2 or 3 occassions where they were on the lookout for guns or bows that had been stolen, and when they were brought to the shop, they were able to stall long enough in getting the thief his check, to alert police and them get there to get the BG!

I agree with OP, there should be some sort of alert system that goes out to Gun shops and also pawn shops for that matter, to allow them to check the numbers on the guns against the list. I know my local shop does get DL information, but unless the gun is run through NICS or whatever system, it will not do any good.

That isn't NICS purpose or in its functionality. That is just a background check, and that is all it should be. Also, pawn shops can't buy guns without an FFL (like a normal gun shop).

It has long confused me why there is not a system for dealers to check. It is one of those common sense gun "control" measures that no one really finds objectionable, yet nothing has been put in place.

And Zim, thank you for trying to do your part. Obviously its a smart business move to avoid the risk, but anymore I'm sure there are many dealers that just don't cate

ChicagoZman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Lake County
    The gun shops in the Chicago area (Illinois side of the line) belong to an association that faxes such lists of stolen guns to other members of the association.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I think that the guns will be used in street crimes. Why sell them to a gunshop or a pawn shop when you can sell them to a fellow gangbanger and not have the risk of getting caught.

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    good idea give it another try tomorrow of calling the store again. You might have to go in person to show your actual credentials so that the other store doesnt think that you are the thief trying to find out if they kept a good inventory like they are supposed to.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think that the guns will be used in street crimes. Why sell them to a gunshop or a pawn shop when you can sell them to a fellow gangbanger and not have the risk of getting caught.
    This is true, however, an FFL must maintain a "bound book", yes? So the serial numbers must be recorded when received into a shop, so that info could be made available to law enforcement and other potential "legitimate" potential resale outlets if the guns were stolen I would think... :dunno:

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    As an FFl if a gun is stolen we must immediatly fill out a stolen gun report and file it with the ATF so I know there is a list out there especially with the ATF. I am new at all this but I quickly became frustrated with trying to obtain a list.

Also, please do not get me wrong. I was not knocking Deb's Guns for not answering the phone. They are dealing with a lot and probably very busy handling the paperwork, repairs, etc. Just wanted to clarify.

I think it would be easy for the ATF to send out an email to all area gun shops. They have the list of guns stolen as required and they have the list of FFL's. Seems simple to me. I probably won't try and get a list again unless it is a local shop.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OP it's not in anyone[1] best interest to get the stolen guns back.

- Deb's will get a nice insurance check for this loss
    - The Hammond PD can use this to claim they need more funds to counter the "war on drugs/guns/etc."
    - ATF can make a case that their are more "illegal" guns on the street now

See the pattern here?

-Jedi

[1] you and I and the common man DO NOT count.

ChicagoZman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Lake County
    OP it's not in anyone[1] best interest to get the stolen guns back.

- Deb's will get a nice insurance check for this loss
    - The Hammond PD can use this to claim they need more funds to counter the "war on drugs/guns/etc."
    - ATF can make a case that their are more "illegal" guns on the street now

See the pattern here?

-Jedi

[1] you and I and the common man DO NOT count.
    As a small business owner it is never a plus to get an insurance check as that means you've paid thousands of dollars in deductibles AND future premium increases

heisman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Law enforcement can run serial numbers, but will only tell them who the owner is. Keeping a stolen list and sharing it seems to border "Invasion of privacy" I wouldn't want people knowing my guns were stolen. Pawn or gun shops will keep a record of selling peoples info, so if it does come back stolen they know who had it last. Most stolen guns are sold on the street or south of the boarder

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Law enforcement can run serial numbers, but will only tell them who the owner is. Keeping a stolen list and sharing it seems to border "Invasion of privacy" I wouldn't want people knowing my guns were stolen. Pawn or gun shops will keep a record of selling peoples info, so if it does come back stolen they know who had it last. Most stolen guns are sold on the street or south of the boarder
    Actually, if we run a serial number it will ONLY tell us if it is stolen or not. NCIC is a system where LEO's enter a stolen firearm by serial number/Make/Model into the system that can be accessed nationwide. One problem is that you have to have the serial number to enter it. Thefts from gun shops are easy since they keep good records. However, most of my private ownership thefts have no serial number available. They never recorded it and never kept the receipt. I take a report of a stolen gun that will never be entered as such. Sometimes I get lucky and they remember where they bought it and I get it from them.

Top Bottom