• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Clay Pigeon, I guess a have ended up rolling a few different areas of focus on top of my original post with the throat dimensions and bore dimensions.
    I do think that the amount of crimp was part of the issue but I think the last die adjustment addressed that. I think the issue with the remaining bad rounds is the half ring, if you will, on the case wall, at the base of the bullet.
    I will tweak my belling adjustment this weekend and see if that corrects the crooked bullet seating.
    Yes, Sir. I am loading an as cast, tumble lube profile bullet with Alox lube. Same setup for .45 Colt and 9mm.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Ran the Sharpie test and the offending rounds do indeed have an ever so slight high spot on one side of the case, where the heel of the bullet sets.
    I think it was a combination of this^^^ and the amount of crimp.
    I have my crimp down to near factory numbers after the last adjustment.
    As far as the crooked bullets. Slightly more case mouth bell, to ensure better seating or just more careful, manual bullet placement?
    As far as tolerances, couldn't get much closer. Bullets are .452", cylinder throats are .4515" and bore is .451" In theory, it should be fine, with the gradual step down.....

Went through that also the using marker to find high spots. Seems like 45 cal bullets need extra care in the bullet placement lol.

Then started really belling the case to only find out that wasn't a good idea either.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    20170311_153623_zpsmex1dz65.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Adjusted my case bell down about a 1/4 turn. Not much. Ran the offending rounds back through the seating die and the crimp die that I had adjusted the other day. They all passed the plunk test (around 25 rounds) and the majority of them dumped out, under their own weight, when I flipped the cylinder upside down.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Adjusted my case bell down about a 1/4 turn. Not much. Ran the offending rounds back through the seating die and the crimp die that I had adjusted the other day. They all passed the plunk test (around 25 rounds) and the majority of them dumped out, under their own weight, when I flipped the cylinder upside down.

Well that's a good thing, if it was me I still would run the taper crimp down farther. ( I know I sound like a broken record )
    But I would bet all would drop free after that.
    It's hard to see with where I'm at right now, but if those bullets have been lubed they look fine to me. ( So many over do when tumble lubing and have a alox coating like undercoating on a car. Thanks for posting the pictures.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Those bullets are lubed. I put 100 bullets in a plastic bowl and add 12 drops of Alox and swirl, shake and roll them around. you can tell they are lubed when you compare them to an unlubed bullet. I stand them all up on their base, in a shallow box to dry.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Glad you got the bugs worked out.
    Now the important question......how do they shoot?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Seems that you found the solution.
    It's good to hear from a reloader getting it done.

Top Bottom