I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    The only valid? reasons I've heard to not carry chambered are:
    1) So I can rack the slide like on the movies - everybody knows the sound of a round chambering will send the most hardened criminal running.
    2) Because my gun is mechanically unsound and it could go off at any time.
    Zoiks

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Exactly why the 1911 is not a good choice for EDC for everyone. I think the thought of a loaded chamber with the hammer cocked will never be fully accepted by many gun owners no matter how much preaching you do. I'll be honest, when I first started carrying, I would never have considered a 1911 for this very reason which is why I opted for an M&P instead. It took time, training and lots of practice before I felt comfortable enough to start carrying cocked and locked. Then comes the task of convincing everyone concerned that it is safe to be around you when you carry that way. To this day my wife tolerates it but is still not comfortable with it and is always trying to get me to carry a revolver instead.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After years of attempts/failures/and all else possible my family now listens when it comes to these issues. We train together when possible. I have found a way to share experience with them in a way that it is accepted. From force on force training to shooting disciplines.
    No one carry's on an empty chamber. To do that reduces what ever firearm you carry to no more than a club. Even at my age if you pull and attempt to rack the slide I can be on top of you before you get the gun ready to fire.

Why even think about doing this. It is a waste and it will get you hurt/maimed/killed and your gun will be on the streets in the hands of the BG and getting someone else hurt.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Lack of past proper training or wrong action or tactics does not stupid you make. Refusing to listen to reason or good advice and refusing to implement the right coarse of action once you've been educated in the proper understanding does. People are free to take their own lives in their hands though. Just like a helmet on a cycle. It increases your odds IMO. I want to know there's tons of trained good guys with guns out there ready to use them if forced. Don't be afraid of your gun, respect it and be its master!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Exactly why the 1911 is not a good choice for EDC for everyone. I think the thought of a loaded chamber with the hammer cocked will never be fully accepted by many gun owners no matter how much preaching you do. I'll be honest, when I first started carrying, I would never have considered a 1911 for this very reason which is why I opted for an M&P instead. It took time, training and lots of practice before I felt comfortable enough to start carrying cocked and locked. Then comes the task of convincing everyone concerned that it is safe to be around you when you carry that way. To this day my wife tolerates it but is still not comfortable with it and is always trying to get me to carry a revolver instead.

And a very good reason to practice with the gun you carry. Just buying a gun, shooting 100 or so rounds through it does not make the average person a competent shooter.
    Practice....practice and then practice some more.
    Just practice clearing the gun from your carry holster (when empty of course) repeatedly until you develop some muscle memory. Repetition/practice is the key. When you can clear the weapon with out thought on the process you are close.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lack of past proper training or action does not stupid you make. Refusing to listen to reason or good advice and refusing to implement the right coarse of action once you've been educated in the proper understanding does. People are free to take their own lives in their hands though. Just like a helmet on a cycle. It increases your odds IMO. I want to know there's tons of trained good guys with guns out there ready to use them if forced. Don't be afraid of your gun, respect it and be its master!

Bingo....we have a winner.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    If it is so much safer why wouldn't you just carry with no mag at all and just pull one from your extra mag carrier. That would REALLY be safer :n00b:

Be as ready and safe as can be. It's just common sense it would seem. I don't understand it either.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    A chambered round is faster than an empty.
    Why give up that extra time when it's unlikely you're gonna outdraw an already-drawn gun...?
    If I have to move draw and shoot I need both hands free (clear extra winter clothing) especially if I'm in close and trying to keep his muzzle out of my body. Or maybe I'm blocking punches to my head with one arm and drawing with my other? Lots Of different scenarios but one can prepare. Also, I'd rather die trying than die from a outdated and failed training idea (no round in the chamber).
    Yeah like mentioned in the OP the bad guy has to drop on you but if you know what to do you can win! I'm not going to just give up and die

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If I have to move draw and shoot I need both hands free (clear extra winter clothing) especially if I'm in close and trying to keep his muzzle out of my body. Or maybe I'm blocking punches to my head with one arm and drawing with my other? Lots Of different scenarios but one can prepare. Also, I'd rather die trying than die from a outdated and failed training idea (no round in the chamber).
    Yeah like mentioned in the OP the bad guy has to drop on you but if you know what to do you can win! I'm not going to just give up and die
    To clarify my post; I hope you weren't debating me, because if you reread my comment carefully, you'll see we're on the same side of it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Man, did I need to read this. I've had my LTCH for a couple years, but am just now beginning to IWB carry regularly. I have to admit that I've tended to be one of those who thought I would be able to see an issue before it escalated, and have time to rack before I react. It's not that I was ever timid about carrying with one in the pipe, it's more like I never fully considered how extremely valuable a couple seconds could be, especially when things can change in the blink of an eye.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I used to be the same. Until I came to the realization that my cocked and locked 1911 is pretty much the same as the (perceived) safer G23. Just because I dont see a hammer doesnt mean it aint cocked.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    To clarify my post; I hope you weren't debating me, because if you reread my comment carefully, you'll see we're on the same side of it.

Nope I understood and highly agreed with you. Hence the positive rep :)
    Sorry, I can see how I might have came across that way. It never comes out right for me on here. I'm not good at writing thoughts.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Man, did I need to read this. I've had my LTCH for a couple years, but am just now beginning to IWB carry regularly. I have to admit that I've tended to be one of those who thought I would be able to see an issue before it escalated, and have time to rack before I react. It's not that I was ever timid about carrying with one in the pipe, it's more like I never fully considered how extremely valuable a couple seconds could be, especially when things can change in the blink of an eye.
    +1 to you!
    Good for you! We ALL learn new or better ways in the firearms community. No one is beyond learning. A person who thinks they know everything is WORSE than a person who knows nothing.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I think the thought of a loaded chamber with the hammer cocked will never be fully accepted...
    It took time, training and lots of practice before I felt comfortable enough to start carrying cocked and locked...

That visual cue of the cocked hammer can be a challenge to get over. It took me a while to develop that comfort level. I carried for a month cocked and locked on an empty chamber, during that whole time the hammer never magically fell on that empty chamber. That month was the learning curve I needed to be comfortable. Now I always carry cocked and locked on a chambered round. Keep reminding us noobs but don't be condescending, we will get there and those reminders are all part of the training and learning process.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You can always go the route of an SA/DA pistol like a Beretta 92 or a S&W 5906 or lots of others. Hammer down carry, chamber loaded, and first bang ready at a single trigger pull. Sort of like my revolver.

Top Bottom