I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Do you check your chamber for a loaded round?

Does anybody check their EDC chamber and magazine for loaded rounds before leaving the house on a daily basis?

I ask this question because I switch back and fourth between pistols due to concealment requirements. I recently made a trip to the east coast and was going to be in MD part of the time. I took along my LCP with pocket holster to deep conceal. I had a spare mag on my off side in a mag pouch loaded with SD ammo. We were going to the pool at our friends house so I took the LCP out of my pocket and went to unload it before storing it until we got back from the pool. They had small grandchildren in the house so I was going to put the gun in my suite case and the ammo and magazine in my backpack.

I was shocked and felt stupid that I had grabbed my wifes LCP before we left Indiana four, yes FOUR days earlier. It was UNLOADED. No round in the chamber nor the magazine. I had been carrying an unloaded gun for four days. I did have a spare mag on my off side that would have been inserted after a misfire, tap rack, misfire then mag change, rack, fire. I was sick at my stomach that I had been so careless.

I'm hoping that I'm the only person that has done this stupid practice of not checking their EDC. I have now started to check my EDC or any gun I plan on carrying before it goes in the holster, even if I put it in the safe loaded before going too bed and strapping it back on the next morning.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Does anybody check their EDC chamber and magazine for loaded rounds before leaving the house on a daily basis?

I ask this question because I switch back and fourth between pistols due to concealment requirements. I recently made a trip to the east coast and was going to be in MD part of the time. I took along my LCP with pocket holster to deep conceal. I had a spare mag on my off side in a mag pouch loaded with SD ammo. We were going to the pool at our friends house so I took the LCP out of my pocket and went to unload it before storing it until we got back from the pool. They had small grandchildren in the house so I was going to put the gun in my suite case and the ammo and magazine in my backpack.

I was shocked and felt stupid that I had grabbed my wifes LCP before we left Indiana four, yes FOUR days earlier. It was UNLOADED. No round in the chamber nor the magazine. I had been carrying an unloaded gun for four days. I did have a spare mag on my off side that would have been inserted after a misfire, tap rack, misfire then mag change, rack, fire. I was sick at my stomach that I had been so careless.

I'm hoping that I'm the only person that has done this stupid practice of not checking their EDC. I have now started to check my EDC or any gun I plan on carrying before it goes in the holster, even if I put it in the safe loaded before going too bed and strapping it back on the next morning.

I could see this being a problem for those who have multiple EDCs. Us cheap guys with only 1 EDC don't have that problem:D

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Well, it is an LCP so you didn't really lose much. ;)

While I do have to agree with you about the mouse gun, I have ran different scenarios through my head and one of them is me pulling the gun on a judgement call and getting shot because I pulled the gun.

I am so looking forward to the class next month with BBI and Coach. I'm just hoping they don't read this and make me wear a dunce cap for the class. :ugh:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

I have two "main" carry pistols, and 1 "main" J-frame airweight that I carry when I don't want to carry a gun.

They're all loaded when they're in the safe. I don't put them in there without them being in said condition.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My EDC has a loaded chamber indicator, as well as a "cocked" indicator. It is never unloaded (other than for cleaning). I check both indicators when holstering every time. Just a habit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While I do have to agree with you about the mouse gun, I have ran different scenarios through my head and one of them is me pulling the gun on a judgement call and getting shot because I pulled the gun.

I am so looking forward to the class next month with BBI and Coach. I'm just hoping they don't read this and make me wear a dunce cap for the class. :ugh:

I look forward to meeting you finally. :rockwoot:

Curious to know what permit you have that gets you Maryland.

Since he mentioned "deep conceal", I think he was hoping for jury nullification.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I look forward to meeting you finally. :rockwoot:

I am looking forward to it as well

Since he mentioned "deep conceal", I think he was hoping for jury nullification.

You are correct. I prefer to take my chances with 12 jurors instead of being carried by 6 pallbearers. Carrying empty put me a lot closer to the 6 than it did the 12 though.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    All my pistols/revolvers in my safe are loaded if their out of the box they came in. If in a case they are unloaded.
    The auto's also have a chambered round.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It sounds like someone does too much loading and unloading. If one of my guns has the magazine inserted then there is one in the chamber, always, everytime. No magazine? Then I check it.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    It sounds like someone does too much loading and unloading. If one of my guns has the magazine inserted then there is one in the chamber, always, everytime. No magazine? Then I check it.

Negative ghost rider. My guns are always loaded. My wife does not like her guns to be loaded during storage. I grabbed her LCP by mistake during our final packing before we left for our two week trip.

Top Bottom