• Total voters

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I thought there would be a few having been here for a while.

There may be a lot of MDA shill accounts opened to skew the vote.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    so far, i doubt it, i bet it is just 3 people who either A. are actually for it, good for them, sorry, they are wrong. or B. are taking the spoon to the soup in a circular motion. my guess is B, but if the correct answer is A, i would be more than happy to hear them out and tell them why i disagree with them. i think we can all agree to have a CIVIL debate on this topic. i did kind of like the idea of the UBC not having to have anything to do with firearms, IE employers having access to it. you put in you name and info and it comes up whether or not you have a criminal or mental record. this check could be for a job search or a gun purchase, noone knows. this however would also be a slippery slope because if your name was entered, you either A. had a job, so you have stuff worth taking or B. you have guns. like i said, i liked the idea, but i know the practice would be a nightmare.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That is the point. Most of us are gun owners and many are NRA members.

There is no way for Zogby, Gallup or any of the other pollsters to get an accurate reading of NRA members because the roll is not public.

It was a poll. I've read about several. The question is usually some form of "Do you support requiring all potential gun buyers to have criminal background checks?" They're kinda vague. So when people say "yes" they're probably saying yes to their own idea of what background checks should be.

So I'm not really surprised by the ~90% for the general public. In my own experience, I have not encountered many NRA members, or 2A proponents who are in favor of UBC. Most of the people I talk to about it who are in favor of UBC are people who know almost nothing about guns and don't own guns themselves.

And of the people with whom I've had the opportunity to explain, most come away deciding that background checks aren't all that effective and many of those have said they've changed their position. And it's not that I'm all that persuasive. It's that they've never heard the other side of the debate before. They've only heard the so-called "common sense" nonsense.

And what the polls don't show is what the people taking them actually think universal background checks mean. It seems to mean different things to different people. For example, most of those polls do show that 80-90% support some kind of UBC. But less than half were disappointed or angry when specific UBC legislation failed to get passed. Almost half were actually relieved it didn't pass.

So I think that many of the people who say they agree with universal background checks are probably indicating that they just want background checks to be made more effective. And it's pretty easy to get those people to see that it's a flawed idea.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    We were catching up on Designated Survivor and they hit on UBC BS in the show... Wife kept reminding me "it's just a tv show" to which I replied "Yeah, But I hear it all the time in real life, I don't want to watch it in fake life either". She then asked "well I thought you were for responsible ownership & background checks?"

I said "yeah... just as soon as they start issuing permits, licenses and background check for you to excercise free speech, religion, 5th amendment practice, ability to refrain from illegal search and seizure, etc".

Sorry... I have faith in people. They're born or naturalized with these rights. Period. We don't require checks for any other rights, so why should 2a be any different?

I'm about at my wits end watching this damn show though lol

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    NRA member. NO.

d9d7d24813d5f7556c9b8925d039c243_and-thats-all-i-have-to-say-about-that-forrest-gump-xd-forrest-gump-birthday-meme_345-329.jpeg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We were catching up on Designated Survivor and they hit on UBC BS in the show... Wife kept reminding me "it's just a tv show" to which I replied "Yeah, But I hear it all the time in real life, I don't want to watch it in fake life either". She then asked "well I thought you were for responsible ownership & background checks?"

I said "yeah... just as soon as they start issuing permits, licenses and background check for you to excercise free speech, religion, 5th amendment practice, ability to refrain from illegal search and seizure, etc".

Sorry... I have faith in people. They're born or naturalized with these rights. Period. We don't require checks for any other rights, so why should 2a be any different?

I'm about at my wits end watching this damn show though lol

I like the suspense of the show, but the politics is just like the deviant behavior portrayed in other shows. It is there to normalize it in the eyes of the public. It wont change your or my mind, but the common public will be brainwashed. Almost every show I ask myself "why do I keep watching this left propaganda?"

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    There are "news pieces" regarding supposed NRA members, and there are comments on "news pieces" from supposed NRA members, in which they say, they`re long time gun owners, but NRA doesn`t represent them because blah, blah, blah...and the whole thing is a load of hooey! I`m an NRA-Endowment member, but I`m disappointed with NRA these days, because, in my opinion, they`ve become too politically correct, and too fat and lazy. I prefer GOA and JPFO more, but, having said that, it`s a lie fabricated and perpetrated by state-run media when these plants claim to be NRA members, but they`re moderate NRA members. Government has no place getting in-between private citizens conducting a private business transaction, period, and I refuse to believe a single legitimate NRA member supports this tyrannical position. Certainly, GOA members do not support this crap. One of the very few decisions the Supreme Court got right recently is in reinforcing that the Second Amendment supports an individual right to keep and bear arms, so that shouldn`t even be a part of the discussion any longer. Now, we just need government, federal, state and local, to understand that there is zero ambiguity in the statement that the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Do the people who are for Universal background Checks realize that for it to be enforceable, EVERY gun in the USA needs to be registered with the government?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Do the people who are for Universal background Checks realize that for it to be enforceable, EVERY gun in the USA needs to be registered with the government?
    Are you referring to the general low information public or those pushing a UBC? The latter would. That would be their next big push. The former mostly have no clue. It is just a feel good vote that they were told was a good thing.

Top Bottom