• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    was at the trap range a while back and there was this 80 year old with an oxygen tank on wheels, he hit 24 straight and missed the last one and he was pissed, turn out his gun got tangled with the oxygen hose.
    My late uncle was a tail gunner in a B24 Liberator in WWII. He was taught how to lead by sitting facing backwards on a flat bed truck shooting clays with a shotgun.

His last day here on earth his neighbors were out throwing clays in their backyard and he went over and joined in. He was busting them all and did not miss. He said wait here and went into the house and came out with his .410 and still went perfect for the day without a miss.

The next morning he was gone when everyone woke up. What a way to go. I am pretty sure I knew what he was dreaming about as he went...

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    At 59, I just don't have the vision that I had even 10 years ago. My ability to focus on close to mid distances is pretty much shot.

Back in the '70s, we were all sure that Steve Austin's bionic eyes would be available for everyone by now... We are still waiting...

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm full throttle at work. And at home, there's the lawn, pool, garden, broken ac, disposal, sometimes it goes on all day.
    I was sitting on the porch, my granddaughter asked me how much it costs to retire. I told her you have to be 62 to retire. She looked at me with pity, and said they should let you go ahead and retire.
    In her eyes, I'm old.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'll go out at 67, mid year to get vacation pay for following year, full pension and IRA. I'll have to save 9 1/2% for federal taxes, no state taxes, Medicare part c for 2 people, property tax, electric, gas, water, phone, alarm, camera apps, internet, cable, car and bike insurance. My wife retired early and will get a bump when I retire. She sits by the pool all day, so life is good I guess.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I'll be 67 in September and most days I feel better than I did 20 years ago. I had a widowmaker heart attack in 2019 and it was a wake call and I thank the good Lord for that wake up call. The LAD was 95% blocked but the no damage to my heart. I've changed eating lifestyle as I am also type 2 diabetic. I used to work 8-10 hours a day, go home and sit down and fall asleep in 2 minutes. Now I still work 8-10 hours a day and go home and work another 3-4 around the farm and I'm good.

I've been shooting ever since I was 7 or 8 years old and the only time that I didn't shoot regularly was the 4 years I lived in Florida. Currently living on what is left of the family farm I shoot quite often as my current range is right out my back door. I am making another range away from the house for when family or friends come to shoot.

I'll retire when I hit 70 and it may not be a full retirement as I might drive the wife crazy being home all day

Last edited:

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I'm 66, in good shape for my age, hell...I don't even consider myself old. I'm busy every day....my issue is trying NOT to do things. I have a small hobby farm with 10 acres, goats, chickens, dogs, a garden and greenhouse, also a river runs thru it. My biggest problem is staying on track and not getting distracted by another chore. I can't go all day but I start early and go until I feel the need to stop.
    I have my own range up to 200 yards and shoot multiple times a week. I shoot a few rounds offhand each session at a metal plate, at the 60 yard line....my success rate is about 50%.
    My personal belief is that as long as the mind and body are busy, you don't notice the infirmities....until you stop, then age catches up to you and your gonna feel the pain.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'll go out at 67, mid year to get vacation pay for following year, full pension and IRA. I'll have to save 9 1/2% for federal taxes, no state taxes, Medicare part c for 2 people, property tax, electric, gas, water, phone, alarm, camera apps, internet, cable, car and bike insurance. My wife retired early and will get a bump when I retire. She sits by the pool all day, so life is good I guess.
    My goal is go out a FRA, which is basically 67. I have three more years.

That said if I land this job I'm trying to get and I like it, I may work longer.

We make plans but it only takes one "life event" to change it all.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm 66, in good shape for my age, hell...I don't even consider myself old. I'm busy every day....my issue is trying NOT to do things. I have a small hobby farm with 10 acres, goats, chickens, dogs, a garden and greenhouse, also a river runs thru it. My biggest problem is staying on track and not getting distracted by another chore. I can't go all day but I start early and go until I feel the need to stop.
    I have my own range up to 200 yards and shoot multiple times a week. I shoot a few rounds offhand each session at a metal plate, at the 60 yard line....my success rate is about 50%.
    My personal belief is that as long as the mind and body are busy, you don't notice the infirmities....until you stop, then age catches up to you and your gonna feel the pain.
    I have a hard time pacing myself but I sleep well! I just get after it early and keep going without hardly a break between projects.

I need to learn better pacing. I could probably get a couple more hours out of a day if I relaxed a bit in my zeal to get things done.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I am 66, and still working full-time. Blind in one eye. COPD from smoking even though i quit 37 years ago. Had two heart attacks, two ablations for VTach, got a peacemaker, and a defibrillator implanted, arthritis in hands and knees. Had a few surgeries for GI problems, too. I am getting old, and falling apart. So what? My choice every day is the same as everyone else's: live my life, or quit and die. I walk my dogs two miles every day before work.i still put in 12-hour days from time to time. I choose to keep on living. This may seem obvious to some, and unfathomable to others: I will quit living when I die. Oh yeah, still hitting the range a time or two every month.

Top Bottom