• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michael762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Centeral
    Well as the post says, I am in a bind. I am buying my next rifle and I am huge into AK's (Previously had an AR but it put a bad taste in my mouth and sold it for my AK.) Well I own two AKs right now, a Saiga that is partially converted and an Arsenal SLR-107FR that I have done some upgrades to. Well I vowed I'd never buy another AR again. But I got to handle a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 sporter 2 with the dust cover and forward assist brand new for a good price. I fell in love with it! I was wondering if this would be a good choice on an AR rifle. I plan on my AK being my go to rifle but would the AR be a good beginner AR? Or should I use that money for another AK.

I would like like some feed back on the Smith M&P 15 Gen 2 is pretty much what I'm saying but I ended up rambling...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What kind of turd did you have before if a M&P Sport feels good?

Spikes are on sale for $799 right now
    Colt 6920's can be had for $899 all day every day
    Or build your own

Or keep buying cheap AR's and complaining that they "leave a bad taste in your mouth." Just know, it's not the platform, it's that you're buying cheap ****.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co

Or build your own

Or keep buying cheap AR's and complaining that they "leave a bad taste in your mouth." Just know, it's not the platform, it's that you're buying cheap ****.
    Pretty much been my experience.... and companies like century arms, inter-ordnance, and Ohio rapid fire made good deal of money offering substandard products at a price less than there competitors... I'm hesitant to say PSA but lets face it quite a bit of "stories" of issues with there FCG's and that's to be expected when quantity is more important that quality and maybe that follows there lowers and uppers as well i have concerns about Anderson ar's but to be honest i haven't heard too many complaints ether... Back when i was younger i bought alot of guns like these and i had some regrets on a few of them.... but anymore im not interested in expanding my collection for the sake of it... now i want a collection of strong proven firearms

Michael762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Centeral

Or build your own

Its funny you say cheap when it was a PSA lower and ADAMS ARMS op rod upper YHM handguard Aimpoint micro and voodoo innovations barrel. It was not cheap. And to be honest I am not going to poor money into an AR when I do prefer the AK rifle. I am just looking for a nice decently priced AR for me and my girl to shoot when I don't want to bring my AKs out. I can buy a Colt or a spikes or something else. I just asked for feed back on the Smith sporter 2.

Why why would I throw $1000 at an AR I'll rarely shoot when I can put $1000 into a rifle that I prefer to shoot. I'm not talking **** about AR rifles at all they are fun to shoot on occasions. But I prefer my AKs and I highly doubt that will change.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Its funny you say cheap when it was a PSA lower and Daniel Defense upper op rod upper YHM handguard Aimpoint micro and voodoo innovations barrel. It was not cheap. And to be honest I am not going to poor money into an AR when I do prefer the AK rifle. I am just looking for a nice decently priced AR for me and my girl to shoot when I don't want to bring my AKs out. I can buy a Colt or a spikes or something else. I just asked for feed back on the Smith sporter 2.

Why why would I throw $1000 at an AR I'll rarely shoot when I can put $1000 into a rifle that I prefer to shoot. I'm not talking **** about AR rifles at all they are fun to shoot on occasions. But I prefer my AKs and I highly doubt that will change.

Well as the post says, I am in a bind. I am buying my next rifle and I am huge into AK's (Previously had an AR but it put a bad taste in my mouth and sold it for my AK.) Well I own two AKs right now, a Saiga that is partially converted and an Arsenal SLR-107FR that I have done some upgrades to. Well I vowed I'd never buy another AR again. But I got to handle a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 sporter 2 with the dust cover and forward assist brand new for a good price. I fell in love with it! I was wondering if this would be a good choice on an AR rifle. I plan on my AK being my go to rifle but would the AR be a good beginner AR? Or should I use that money for another AK.

I would like like some feed back on the Smith M&P 15 Gen 2 is pretty much what I'm saying but I ended up rambling...
    S&W makes a decent entry level ar for the money.
    Since you don't have plans to shoot it to death it would be gtg.
    Your not so tasty previous AR might have had good parts but that doesn't mean they all matched up well together. It happens.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you're wanting to not spend much, I'd personally go with one of the OEM Aero Precision rifles on Brownells. Throw on a Magpul OEM furniture set, and you're off to the races for only about $50 more than the S&W sport.

Plus, you get a full auto BCG and a BA barrel (significant upgrades over the S&W sport).

Honestly, though, I look at firearms as one time / lifetime purchases. The extra $100 to upgrade to a Spikes or $200 to upgrade to the Colt is well worth it if it's something you're going to own the rest of your life.

But it doesn't even sound like you like the platform. So why don't you just get another AK?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    :twocents: Assuming you are comfortable with the Sport II's price point and don't want to build an AR, I would prefer the Ruger AR 556 over the M&P. YMMV

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I am not a Colt fan boy, nor do I own ANYTHING Colt, but for the price a 6920 is pretty tough to pass up (I dont hate Colt). If you just want one, and it isn't your "thing", it will serve to be reliable, and if you tend to swap and sell stuff being a Colt will be a plus. Buy whatever blows your skirt up, but buy something quality or you might have to get really "into" a rifle you don't love to get it to work right.
    I have had nothing but good experiences with my PSA purchases, but they are definitely a quantity seller. I like their BCG's, I forget who makes them, but they are solid.
    Ruger>Smiths. While I don't own one, I have heard the praises of those i know that dig their Ruger AR's (they live in SC, havent shot it). My personal experience with Ruger has been nothing but positive as well.
    I can't tell you ALL the differences over milspec, but a good buddy has a sweet Sig AR in FDE. It looks really nice, and has been 100% reliable. Not sure what they go for, but I really like it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ^Looks like a home-brew build. No offense but there is definitely the possibility that it wasn't assembled correctly hence the problems.

+1 I built my first and I am not as happy with it as I am my cheap-a** post ban Bushmaster. I'm still ironing out the issues 6 months in. Dont hate the game, hate the player. If ARs were so bad, we wouldnt be as powerful as we are on the battlefield. Give them a second chance.

Top Bottom