• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    How many of you believe you can signal a moving plane or vehicle with a mirror? I think it is becoming a lost skill, besides the fact many do not even own a proper mirror.

One day when I was 10 my Dad cut me loose in a fairly rugged desert area with very uneven terrain. The one rule that day was every half hour I had to stop and signal back towards camp. I thought it was silly as hell, I am going to be down in ravines and over the horizon but fine. A deal is a deal. Mirror, whistle, knife, water and a compass, I am out of here.

When I returned he knew exactly where I had been, when I had been there and what route I had traveled. FREAKIN' MAGIC! Ok I get it now, the mirror really works.

Just curious how many know how to use them. My kits have mirrors and whistles for a reason, they work. It is a skill I take great comfort in knowing I have. Easy as hell to learn. The laws of reflection are consistent.

Even Rhino could explain them to you.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I had a sheet of mirrored stainless steel at work a few years ago, and had a little scrap left, enough to cut about a dozen 3x3" pieces and a few pieces credit card sized, I have one in my wallet, and at least one in all 3 of my vehicles, and one or two in several of my GHBs. :yesway:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I can do it with an actual signal mirror that has the ability to aim. Just a chunk of mirror? I doubt I could hit it.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The mirrored side of a CD also works as a signal mirror. Already has an aiming hole. Used a signal mirror in the scouts and again in the service. It can be seen from a long way off.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    got a SS shaving mirror in Boy Scouts that had a hole in the center, for mounting on a tent stake and for signaling. Wish I hadn't lost it, but I had it in my emergency kit.

Mr. Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Likewise I used to have a Boy Scout mirror and have lost it over the years. I do remember using it and I am glad I came across this post so that I will get another one. Thanks

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm no longer allowed to use mirrors since . . . the incident.

Don't forget a whistle to go with your mirror! I wear mine around my neck all the time.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I can do it with an actual signal mirror that has the ability to aim. Just a chunk of mirror? I doubt I could hit it.

Thats it exactly. Any chunk of mirror (or CD) will do in a pinch, but it is NOT the same as having a dedicated signal mirror like a Star Flash.

I have students in my Survival classes state that they understand how a signal mirror works, but when we start using them, they have no clue and think that using a mirror to signal is mostly luck. Bounching a reflection off your hand or a nearby tree is relatively easy, try doing that on a moving plane or a car 2 miles away on a desert road below your position. Total luck. A true signal mirror with apterture is 100% accurate when used properly.

Get one, learn it and practice it.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Thats it exactly. Any chunk of mirror (or CD) will do in a pinch, but it is NOT the same as having a dedicated signal mirror like a Star Flash.

I have students in my Survival classes state that they understand how a signal mirror works, but when we start using them, they have no clue and think that using a mirror to signal is mostly luck. Bounching a reflection off your hand or a nearby tree is relatively easy, try doing that on a moving plane or a car 2 miles away on a desert road below your position. Total luck. A true signal mirror with apterture is 100% accurate when used properly.

Get one, learn it and practice it.

You convinced me. Just ordered one. Will see how well I can signal my neighbor's house after I learn how.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Signal mirror and a whistle are an essential part of my survival kit. It amazing how many people seem to always leave the small yet very important items out of the bug/gh bags.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I'm no longer allowed to use mirrors since . . . the incident.

Don't forget a whistle to go with your mirror! I wear mine around my neck all the time.
    I can only imagine.

As Hitchcock knew, the imagination is usually worse then reality, so I would like to hear more about "the incident."

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I can only imagine.

As Hitchcock knew, the imagination is usually worse then reality, so I would like to hear more about "the incident."

I hear he shinned it in yeagers eyes and that it did not end well....

Another rumor is that he used to to signal aliens in outer space and cone to find out they are real and the men in black were not amused.

Top Bottom