I am not a Coward, newest Anti argument?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    "They", are too lily livered to do that .....

"They", will have someone else do it .....

IE; LEO, or Military .....

They're in for a rude awakening if they believe any law enforcement agency (or military) has a duty to protect or to rescue them. They don't, unless there is a special relationship that binds them to that duty (i.e. Secret Service protection of the POTUS). They have a duty to the public in general, but not to any specific individual(s). A law enforcement agency might take action to thwart a crime in progress to protect or rescue people, but it is an act of their own volition, not one of a legally binding duty. Read Warren v. District of Columbia (1981, DC Court of Appeals en banc):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

The case is particularly tragic for three of the four plaintiffs who were sexually brutalized for 14 hours after having called the DC Police twice reporting a burglary in progress of a rooming house they lived in. A fourth person's separate claim, a victim of assault and battery, was bundled with the other three. The four had sued the DC Police for negligence, including failure to follow department dispatching and investigative procedures. The appellate court, which reheard the appeal en banc, upheld the trial court's dismissal stating they had no special relationship with the DC Police department and therefore the department had no special duty to protect or rescue them.

Castle Rock v. Gonzalez, SCOTUS, 1983 reinforced this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_of_Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales

As did DeShaney v. Winnebago County, SCOTUS, 1989:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeShaney_v._Winnebago_County

These cases and the underlying principles of the Public Duty Doctrine were among the reasons the US District Court stopped the gun confiscation in Louisiana that was ordered after Hurricane Katrina and ordered the return of the guns. You may call 911 and law enforcement may respond, but there is no constitutional duty for them to protect or rescue you, and if they fail to or even choose not to, you have no remedy. The consequence is people have a duty to protect themselves. If the government disarms them, they are then completely defenseless without any recourse or remedy for the government then neglecting or refusing to protect or rescue them.

John

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    These people are the same ones that really annoy me when the news states that a home burned and the people need help because they had no insurance and lost everything! Sorry, I have no pity for such people. Usually you find they have a far newer automobile than I own and often are fully employed. They ELECTED to take the chance they wouldn't loose their home and didn't want to sacrifice the money to pay for insurance.

When I married my wife nearly 50 years ago she was raising 3 children, I raised 2 from a previous marriage, and we had one together. During our life we were often very short on cash, but we paid for the home and auto insurance. We never took one penny from any government entity and paid our taxes. Often the insurance payments were quite a burden but like my firearms, a means to protect my family from disaster.

If a tornado hits a few homes in Indiana, there is no government aid that I have heard of for those that have their homes and possessions destroyed, however when a hurricane hits it seems the government is expected to step in and compensate everyone for all their losses. I can understand our government helping an area to rebuild the electrical grid, water supplies etc., and provide emergency food, water and medical care, and even to provide emergency shelter. But i don't understand why the people don't rely on their insurance to rebuild their own residences and cover their expenses. Guess I have a hard heart,

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...It seems like they are trying the angle that if you take responsibility for your safety, you must be some sort of person that is unbalanced...

Well, then I hope they throw out their smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, spare tires, first aid kits, home security systems, cancel their insurance policies, etc in their quest to be "balanced".:coffee:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    They are confusing Fear with being a Coward.

Having fear helps you be situationally aware and can sharpen your focus and actions so you and those you care about can stay safe. Being a coward is giving up and not reacting to fear in a meaningful way and taking personal responsibility to eliminate the threat.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here are a couple of videos from a young lady I met yesterday. She was hired in our Indy office earlier this year. Tell her she's a coward. I dare you. I sat next to her at lunch. One of the other guys brought this incident up. She gave us the full account. It was spell binding.

[video=youtube;9GTOezTVQIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GTOezTVQIg[/video]

[video=youtube;mBFyabDJ0nY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBFyabDJ0nY[/video]

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... I get that statically the likelihood of ever needing a gun are low ...

I find it interesting how people feel/think the likelihood of ever needing a gun is low. Consider the following U.S. 2014 statistics:

Serious violent crimes - 2,045,899 (rape/sex assault, robbery, aggravated assault, murder)
    Deaths from lightning - 26
    Deaths from floods - 40
    Deaths from fire - 3,275

All those serious violent crimes are just the kind of situation where a victim might need a gun. Yet, people think the chance is low (when it's closer to 1 in 156).

The number of deaths from lightning is almost nothing in a country of over 300M people, yet everyone gets off the golf course when it storms, we cancel sporting events, go inside, etc.

Only 40 deaths from flooding that year, but who hasn't heard the "turn around don't drown" PSAs?

Fire deaths are only in the thousands, but smoke alarms and fire extinguishers are common as are regular evac drills at school, work, etc.

But, for some reason, with over 2 MILLION violent crimes occuring, people think their "chances" of needing a gun are low.

Granted, those are not evenly distributed, and people take some other measures to mitigate (not doing stupid things, with stupid, people at stupid times, etc.).

At the same time, it's ludicrous to think a firearm may not be needed when the raw probability is several orders of magnitude greater than many other threats people do take seriously. Weird.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    But, that still works out to 1.7 chances in 10,000 that any of those would occur (assuming I did the math correctly). Leave out sex assault, drug related buy/sell crimes, race and the odds are pretty small.

Still, I'm packing almost all of the time. Stranger Danger, don'tcha know.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    But, that still works out to 1.7 chances in 10,000 that any of those would occur (assuming I did the math correctly). Leave out sex assault, drug related buy/sell crimes, race and the odds are pretty small. .

No, it's 0.6%, or 2,045,899/318,600,000 (2014 U.S. pop), or 1 in 156.

Drug offenses are not included in the violent crime stats. Leaving out sex assaults (not rape), doesn't buy you much.

There were still almost 2M offenses (1.761M) just including robbery, aggravated assault, and murder.

And yes, one's changes are significantly reduced by not doing things like sell illegal drugs (and the potential for violence associated with that).

Normalcy bias, optimism bias, and ignorance are difficult to overcome.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A focus on statistics is the wrong focus. Stats tell you "0" about whether you should carry.

Hopefully, I will go my entire life and never have to defend myself with my gun. So I shouldn't carry?

Nuts.

Unless we can do a time travel thing and I can be assured, 100% accurately, that not only I, but every person I am every around will never have this situation present itself, I am abdicating my responsibility to be prepared.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A focus on statistics is the wrong focus. Stats tell you "0" about whether you should carry. ...

Right, the stats are just the probability side of the equation and don't included the impact side.

Risk = probability x impact

...Unless we can do a time travel thing and I can be assured, 100% accurately, that not only I, but every person I am every around will never have this situation present itself, I am abdicating my responsibility to be prepared.

Yeah, for over 2M people in 2014, their probability of violent criminal victimization was 100% (they didn't know that until after the fact of course).

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    No, it's 0.6%, or 2,045,899/318,600,000 (2014 U.S. pop), or 1 in 156.

Drug offenses are not included in the violent crime stats. Leaving out sex assaults (not rape), doesn't buy you much.

There were still almost 2M offenses (1.761M) just including robbery, aggravated assault, and murder.

And yes, one's changes are significantly reduced by not doing things like sell illegal drugs (and the potential for violence associated with that).

Normalcy bias, optimism bias, and ignorance are difficult to overcome.

How many days in the year? Shouldn't it be divided by 365?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Deaths from fire - 3,275

Fire deaths are only in the thousands, but smoke alarms and fire extinguishers are common as are regular evac drills at school, work, etc.

Could one of the reasons that deaths from fire are lower be because of smoke alarms and fire extinguishers be so common and thus helping prevent tragedies?

Serious violent crimes - 2,045,899 (rape/sex assault, robbery, aggravated assault, murder)

All those serious violent crimes are just the kind of situation where a victim might need a gun.

But, for some reason, with over 2 MILLION violent crimes occuring, people think their "chances" of needing a gun are low.

So perhaps if it was mandated that all public facilities required employees and guest to be armed (with guns rather than alarms/extinguishers) the number of deaths from violent crimes would drop? In fact, hasn't there been a drop in violent deaths as gun ownership has gone up?

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Thor said---"Because they are truly cowards and must make themselves feel better by belittling those who are not."

This is the very definition of bullying, and that is exactly what the antis do to us. We are different from them... they are afraid of living in a dangerous world and are afraid to fight for their survival, we are not, so they pick on us any way they can, hoping that we will become as they are.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've jumped from airplanes, okay, just one airplane, but I did it.
    I've SCUBA'd.
    I've been under the sea in a metal sewer pipe which the Navy politely called a submarine.
    I've fought fires.
    I've fought flooding.
    I've been yelled at for exceeding my radiation limit.
    I've wore gas mask hour after hour because of an airborne radiation casualty.
    On the above mentioned submarine, I've experienced "loss of depth control", and exceeded limits that weren't supposed to be exceeded.
    I've jumped into a fire scene to shut off the natural gas, only to have the gas ignite a 3 story flame in front of me (making a funny video at the same time when I caught my hard hat in cables causing me to go horizontal :) )
    Stepped in front of someone that wanted to "talk to" his significant other while she hid crying and shaking.

I'm sure there's some more stories.
    Basically, some twerp tells me I'm "afraid", I laugh at them. They don't usually like it. So, in view of their feelings, I laugh even more at them.

Top Bottom